The Worst-of-Mainstream-Media Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Now is your chance to share the worst-ever vaccine-related articles that you've seen in mainstream media. They could earn your ranking due to inflammatory or hyperbolic content, childish name-calling, ridiculous spin, ignorance that should embarrass the reporter, or other various forms of yellow journalism.

Here are some of my "favorites."

First, I'm surprised to see this anti-science drivel coming from a Johns Hopkins guy, who tries so, so hard to persist with the patently false claim that "anti-vaxxers" are to blame for pertussis outbreaks. http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/ The comments alone are worth popping some popcorn for.

Second, we talked about this recently, but do you remember this gem from a local newspaper? http://magicvalley.com/news/opinion/editorial/our-view-anti-vaccination-freeloaders-endanger-us-all/article_ab1cc51e-79b4-11e3-a968-0019bb2963f4.html Apparently non-compliant parents are responsible for tuberculosis, an illness for which there's no routine vaccination eyesroll.gif Do you think the editors will fire themselves for their journalistic incompetence and inability to fact-check? I'm not holding my breath.

Third, I think I once started a thread on this bad boy: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Editorial+dispute+fool+shot/7562552/story.html In other words, ignore that infectious disease expert guy who is challenging flu shot mandates with naughty things like facts, science, and data . . . eyesroll.gif

Finally, check out this one from NPR: http://www.npr.org/2014/03/04/285580969/when-it-comes-to-vaccines-science-can-run-into-a-brick-wall?ft=1&f=1128&utm_source=health&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_medium=twitter

This one's downright creepy in an Orwellian way. Apparently, those who question the government's messages about vaccines have "erroneous beliefs" requiring "corrected information." But here's the part that I find amusing:

"Well, I think, David, what Nyhan seems to be finding is that when you're confronted by information that you don't like, at a certain level you accept that the information might be true, but it damages your sense of self-esteem. It damages something about your identity. And so what you do is you fight back against the new information. You try and martial other kinds of information that would counter the new information coming in. In the political realm, Nyhan is exploring the possibility that if you boost people's self-esteem before you give them this disconfirming information, it might help them take in the new information because they don't feel as threatened as they might have been otherwise."

In other words, if you disagree with their message, it's not because you have solid data on--oh, I dunno, say . . . --mumps vaccine failures. It's because you're emotionally fragile and have a vulnerable self-esteem. Way to spin it! thumb.gif

Please contribute! I'm sure you've seen some goodies over the years.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 11 Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I saw one in the NYC Metro a couple of days ago...i will look up the details later, but it was the worst article i have ever seen-it was basically taking everyone for complete idiots, and equating anyone who disagreed with mainstream medicine as somehow superstitious, or too stupid to understand probability... glad i found this thread, because i was competely appalled to find such an article in th Metro

applejuice and Turquesa like this.
#3 of 11 Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Not surprisingly, the comments on the Vancouver Sun article all put the editor in his place--but the editor never responds.
#4 of 11 Old 03-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I couldnt find the online article  i mentioned upthread, but i found what looks like a similar, or probably the same version in the Daily News (i would to expect such a trashy article to be found in the daily news, but not the metro.us)

Please be careful not to vomit, because now apparently any disagreement over vaccination means that you are part of that herd majority who subscribes to conspiracy theories.

There have a been a slew of such articles i find recently,  using 'conspiracy' in the headline, followed by  a bunch of silly sounding conspiracies (personally i havent heard of the others, and know nothing about them), coupled with another one about vaccination.

Clever tactic!

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/americans-medical-conspiracies-survey-article-1.1726815

#5 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up with some horrible hate speech. Swig a shot of vodka before you click: http://time.com/46914/vaccine-opponents-wrong/

After years and years in this forum, I've developed my first official conspiracy theory. That all of these hate-pieces are coming out is no coincidence. Is somebody funding them? Threatening to withdraw funding? I guess that's not a theory so much as a question and hypothesis. Damn. I don't get to keep that tinfoil trophy after all. winky.gif

Even National Review, which I used to read back in my dark and shady past as a conservative duck.gif (Kidding. I love my conservative friends), used to appeal more to the literati. But it's disintegrated into a middle school newspaper. This piece is full of the usual platitudes, so you won't miss much if you just skim it. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/373579/foolish-anti-vax-cause-rich-lowry

I'm mentally filling a bingo card right now: "Autism," "McCarthy," "endanger," "anti-vaxxers," "Wakefield," blah, blah, blah. The day will come when they all need to start suing each other for copying each other.
applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)

http://time.com/68249/vaccines-anti-vaxxers/

Non-vaxxing to loaded gun analogy

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

http://time.com/68249/vaccines-anti-vaxxers/

Non-vaxxing to loaded gun analogy

This seems like an odd article to post in the selective/delayed forum. Maybe it would be better served in the general vaccine or INV forum.
#8 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I dunno. If we follow this guy's ridiculous analogy to its natural conclusion, selective vaxxers would have loaded guns, too. There just wouldn't be bullets in every chamber.

ETA: The same would apply to delayed vaxxers, who eventually unload the bullets, and well-intentioned parents following different schedules prescribed in other first world countries.
applejuice likes this.

#9 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

And honestly, a more appropriate analogy would be a gun with millions of chambers. Only one would contain the first-world-child-catches-and-dies-from-vaccine-targeted-disease bullet. A similar gun would be loaded with child-dies-of-vaccine-reaction bullet.

#10 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

This seems like an odd article to post in the selective/delayed forum. Maybe it would be better served in the general vaccine or INV forum.

TC, it is completely on topic for this thread.  It is not noticeably different from the other links posted on this thread, so I am scratching my head wondering why it was worth calling out. 

I would even argue it is on topic for this forum.  To quote the article:

" I called the pediatrician to confirm that their immunizations were up to date. I found out that I had somehow missed my two year old’s second MMR vaccination. Just in case you don’t know, those two “Ms” stand for measles and mumps! Crud… I was an accidental anti-vaxxer! It was an oversight that I quickly remedied. That was a close one! What if my little dude had come in contact with one of the unvaccinated!? Chances are, nothing. But maybe, something. And if it was something, that thing could have been catastrophic"

He had missed the appointment.  His child was late - delayed in getting a shot.  For some unknown reason he decided that made him the same as an "anti-vaxxer."    (Dude, no.  You forgot to get a shot.  It happens.  It makes your hatred and hyperbole towards non-vaxxers kind of ironic when it was not even important enough to you to remember...but you are not an "anti-vaxxer"). 

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#11 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

TC, it is completely on topic for this thread.  It is not noticeably different from the other links posted on this thread, so I am scratching my head wondering why it was worth calling out. 

I would even argue it is on topic for this forum.  To quote the article:

" I called the pediatrician to confirm that their immunizations were up to date. I found out that I had somehow missed my two year old’s second MMR vaccination. Just in case you don’t know, those two “Ms” stand for measles and mumps! Crud… I was an accidental anti-vaxxer! It was an oversight that I quickly remedied. That was a close one! What if my little dude had come in contact with one of the unvaccinated!? Chances are, nothing. But maybe, something. And if it was something, that thing could have been catastrophic"

He had missed the appointment.  His child was late - delayed in getting a shot.  For some unknown reason he decided that made him the same as an "anti-vaxxer."    (Dude, no.  You forgot to get a shot.  It happens.  It makes your hatred and hyperbole towards non-vaxxers kind of ironic when it was not even important enough to you to remember...but you are not an "anti-vaxxer"). 

First that jumped out at me is the fact that it was his child's SECOND MMR.  His child had a 95% chance of being completely immunized by his first MMR. Did he consider getting a titer to find out?  No, he leaped to the conclusion that missing the second MMR, EVEN UNINTENTIONALLY, made him an anti-vaxxer, which he had to remedy immediately in order to avoid catastrophe.  His words.

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page