How to go about this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok. I would like some advice and perspective here. My oldest child was fully vaxxed. He's 22 now. My dd who is about to turn 11 and ds who is 9 were vaxxed almost fully, they were four and two when we stopped. When I was pregnant with my ds who is 7 I started researching because of an article I read in Mothering magazine that my midwife gave me. Long story short, that ds and my 2 year old dd have never been vaxxed at all.

But now I'm considering catching them up. Here's why. I do believe in the science behind vaccinations, as in, introduce it so you can build an immune defense against it. It just didn't make sense with a child whose immune system wasn't developed yet. But now at 11 and 9?

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for years to find a chicken pox party. I don't want them to have cp as adults. DD is already developing. I discussed with dh and he thinks they should just get the cp vaccine. I agree. Which opened the door.

So, I am looking for opinions and your reasons for vaccinating. Has anyone else done this? I know many of you delay and selective, can you tell me about that? Why delay? Why do it at all? I use to be a big supporter of vaccinating then I was a big opponent (for my own kids, I never tried to tell anyone else what to do or pretended that I knew what was best for someone else). Point is, there were always points on both sides but I decided the bad outweighed the good at that point. Now I'm reconsidering. I don't regret not vaxxing the two littles, but I'm thinking maybe the good outweighs the bad at the older ages? 

How would I go about a catch up schedule? I do like the fact that by waiting, they will get a lot less shots, right? Or am I misinformed on that? Please, please share your wisdom with me!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Besides chickenpox, which specific diseases are you worried about your children getting? It isn't enough to believe in the concept of vaccines. It only makes sense to do them for specific diseases you're actually worried about. If you want to vaccinate for chickenpox, then do that. It doesn't mean you have to give any other vaccines.

#3 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Since my 9yo was last vaxxed at 2yo, they have added more boosters, they have added rotovirus to the schedule, plus hep A in our state.  I'm not planning on "catching them up".  I will look and see what remains relevant for their ages.  Yes, I'm considering chicken pox and another MMR (leaning away from the second booster at this point, though).  Meningitis later on.

I don't think there is any consensus about "catching up".  I've looked, but there doesn't seem to be much aimed at parents who started on the vax track but for some reason stopped.  Frustrating.  

My doctor's office would probably say that they needed the full round of boosters (they are non-vax "friendly" though).  

Others who make it a point to know these things (thank you MDC) led me to the information that really made a difference in my decisions: that those first vaccines still make a big impact.  Pardon my inability to explain or even fully understand this; maybe someone else can explain this better: that the first MMR shot is enough for 95% of the population.  Similarly, that first CP shot is also fairly effective on its own.  

I never had the chance to start from scratch with vaxxing my kids.  So, I haven't given it a lot of thought regarding what I would do differently, as you are able to with your 2yo.  I know I would have skipped hep B and CP (we would still have ended up with considering the vaccine later because wild cp seems impossible to find and I don't think my kids would approve of a cp party!)  

I would do more research on what kind of immunity that is found after X number of shots.  Some vaxxes have 4 rounds-- is that necessary?  Would just 3 impart most of the immunity?  Or 2?  One?  That's the question that needs answering.  DTaP had 5 rounds in WA in 2006, and there were still outbreaks amongst the vaxxed population.  How do I feel about that?  Hmmmm...... more food for thought.

nukuspot likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 4 Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies! You're right, just because I want CP doesn't necessarily mean we need/have to do any others. Looking at the schedule, I realize if I do cp now and wait a couple years, I can do one shot of most things rather than do a catch up now and a booster later. If we do them.

Turquesa likes this.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page