Questions from Canada - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in Canada and researching vaccines for my unvaxed soon to be 5 year old and would appreciate any help with the questions I have:

What are the DTaP-IPV options in Canada?

I am tying to decide between DTaP-IPV or just DTaP? Can Polio be taken seperatley and at an older age?

Is pertussis dangerous after 5 years old? or could it be dangerous for a two year old unvaxed sibling if the 5 year old isn't vaxed and can carry it?

Thanks for all help/opinions/advice!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

First, you'll want to be sure that you have a ped/GP who is onboard with your proposed schedule. You'll probably have to make sure the products you want are also available at the time you show up at the clinic. 

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p01-14-eng.php

You'll want to have a good read through the Immunization Guide just to be familiar with what's available and guidelines/recommendations.

It's looks like in Canada, from this list, there's no separate infant DTaP. The smallest combo is the DTaP-IPV.

You'll get different opinions on the forum about the seriousness of pertussis in preschoolers. Some will say it's extremely dangerous due to possible complications, while others will not. My DS was two years old when he got it from his (vaxed and UTD) father. With careful management, he made it through okay and did not suffer any complications. We're selective vaxers and pertussis is not on our list for a number of reasons, including the continuing discussion over here of how the current vaccine is proving more ineffective over time against current circulating strains and so the message, "Pertussis cases increasing…current vaccine shortcomings…go get a booster" doesn't work for us. 

I will mention as well that being in Canada, you also have the option of waiting until age seven and getting the Td separately (or Tdap) and then the polio separately. You can do the Td/Tdap as a primary series after that age.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply.  I may consider waiting for dtap and have a few questions that I will post in a new thread.  Thanks. 

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination
User Tag List