Which vaccines may shed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2014, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which vaccines may shed?

I am doing some delayed vaccination with my son due to family history of vaccine reactions and his eczema/risk of asthma issues.

I am also babysitting a younger infant who is being vaccinated on schedule (my son is 6 months and the other baby is 10 weeks). She had a fever from her 2 month shots so her parents kept her home a few days. But it made me wonder - is my son at risk of catching something from her?

Thus far we have done both doses of rotavirus vaccine and 2 shots each of DTaP and Prevnar (based on my pediatrician's assessment of what illnesses are prevalent in our area - she is recommended by the local crunchy moms group as being one of the peds open to varied schedules here). We have not done HepB, HIB, or IPV (considering skipping HIB altogether but I'm not sure about that), doing HepB in pre-adolescence, IPV at some point before traveling anywhere. We most particularly want to delay MMR since that is the one my husband had a terrible reaction to as a baby (his ped told his mother to delay MMR for him and for her second child), and may do varicella as a pre-teen if he hasn't caught it naturally before that. I am totally undecided about the flu vaccine, though I lean towards it being too ineffective to be worth it. And I haven't looked into HepA yet.

So, I have the 6 month well baby check coming up next week. Does the presence of another baby in my home a few hours a week change my risk calculus at all? My baby is EBF, though we are starting to add a few solids here and there. Aside from this new baby I'm watching he is pretty isolated from other children. We only leave the house once a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
All live virus vaccines shed. MMR, rotavirus, yellow fever, varicella, LOPV, and Flumist shed. If a person gets the flu vaccine and gets the flu illness after the vaccine as many people claim, you can be sure that that person will share the flu with you.

The pertussis component is a bacterial toxoid vaccine which does not shed, but the disease process will cause it to spread through the lungs and in any nasal or mouth or throat droplets.

Since you are posting here on MDC, I will advise you to give your baby sodium ascorbate; the medical literature since the 1930s has stated that sodium ascorbate will alleviate the severity of a pertussis infection. Add it to any food you are introducing to your own LO and you should take it also since you are breastfeeding.
#3 of 3 Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much, that is useful information.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page