Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DogStar

#1 of 10 Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of Vaccinating, need advice

When my daughter who is now 4.5, was born I decided to delay vax.

First a little background to explain my reasoning (however misguided it might have been), Im a vet tech (with fully vaccinated pets, lol) and we recommend dogs and cats do not get vaccinations until they are 8 weeks old, and the reason behind that is because they usually wean from their moms around then. Any vaccinations while they are nursing don't really work because they are still working with their moms immunities. Anyways, I always wondered why this didnt apply to kids. I intended on BFing till she weaned herself, asuming it was be a couple years. Well she finally weaned at four!

So at her last Dr visit I asked about catching her up, starting with MMR and Dtap separately. The Dr said she's make up a catch up schedule for me and send it. Well I got it, and it is basically one shot per month, three shots for each vax, so basically 1 shot per month for 6 months

Does this sound resonable? It sounds like a lot to me, but I admit I just dont know.

Thanks
applejuice likes this.

Sarah
Home-birthing, breastfeeding, bed-sharing, cloth-diapering Mom to Rhiannon Scout, born 11-21-09
#2 of 10 Old 06-01-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What I would do first is check the recommended catch up schedule in your area and see what is required/recommended. Is it 3 DTaPs or 4? As far as I know, it should only be two MMR…the first usually results in seroconversion for 95% of the population and the second dose is to catch the 5% that didn't seem to acquire immunity from the first shot.

I'd also double check recommended spacing on catch up schedules. Just as an example…we're going to do the dT for my DD this November as a primary course. Now, while Australia seems to play by its own set of rules for the most part and doesn't see an issue with quickly catching up, the info I read from Canada (which is more conservative in this regard) recommends two months between the first two doses and 6-12 months between the second and third. I'd check where you are and see if it's still eight weeks between DTaPs and the recommended catch up schedule for the MMR.

Good luck.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The point of trying to get the vaccines done fairly soon is that there's no way of knowing when your daughter might come into contact with any of the diseases. It would obviously be a shame if she was on a very gradual schedule and ended up catching measles, whooping cough or what have you while she was waiting to get the vaccine, hence trying to get them done in the shortest possible space of time that will still give her body time to mount an adequate response.

Although it sounds like a lot, it actually isn't when you look at it on the immunological level. This is because vaccines these days contain far fewer antigens than live viruses/bacteria, so even vaccinating against multiple diseases in a short space of time requires only a tiny fraction of the response from the immune system that, say, fighting off pertussis would. She's therefore better off getting the vaccines on a rapid schedule to give her protection ASAP, in order to avoid a possible situation where her body might have the far greater stress of fighting against one of the diseases.

It's actually quite feasible for her to have the MMR and the DTaP at the same time (as I said, the number of antigens involved is extremely small compared with what the immune system has evolved to be capable of dealing with) or with any interval in between, as they don't seem to interfere with each other - see https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...er-21-v2_0.pdf, page 215. So she doesn't need to wait a month between each shot. However, according to the same source, she should wait a month between each DTaP shot and three months between the two MMR shots (and Japonica is quite right - it should be only two MMR shots, so I don't know why you would have three on the schedule?)

Edited to add: And I forgot to say that she'll also need a DTaP booster, so your doctor will need to schedule that in there, which seems to be about 6 - 12 months later.

Last edited by Good Enough Mum; 06-02-2014 at 03:38 AM.
#4 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
[...]
I'd also double check recommended spacing on catch up schedules. Just as an example…we're going to do the dT for my DD this November as a primary course. Now, while Australia seems to play by its own set of rules for the most part and doesn't see an issue with quickly catching up, the info I read from Canada (which is more conservative in this regard) recommends two months between the first two doses and 6-12 months between the second and third.

[...]
That sounded odd to me, so I checked, and indeed that is incorrect: Canada recommends two months between each of the first three shots (and they agree it can be done at 1 month intervals if needed). The 6 - 12 months interval is between the third shot and the booster. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...9-eng.php#dela
#5 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Enough Mum View Post
That sounded odd to me, so I checked, and indeed that is incorrect: Canada recommends two months between each of the first three shots (and they agree it can be done at 1 month intervals if needed). The 6 - 12 months interval is between the third shot and the booster. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...9-eng.php#dela
This is what I was going from:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...04-dip-eng.php

Quote:
Children and adolescents (7 years to 17 years of age)

Children 7 years of age and older not previously immunized should receive three doses of Tdap-IPV vaccine with an interval of 8 weeks between the first two doses followed by a third dose administered 6 to 12 months after the second dose. A booster dose of Tdap vaccine should be administered 10 years after the last dose.
My children will be over seven years old when they receive their dT and not previously vaccinated. It does say on the chart linked in the above post that the interval between the 2nd and 3rd dose for adult-formulation diphtheria and tetanus toxoid vaccines should be 6 months at minimum up to 12 months for Adacel and Boostrix. Am I misunderstanding the chart perhaps?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

Last edited by japonica; 06-02-2014 at 06:54 AM.
#6 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much that is really helpful!

Sarah
Home-birthing, breastfeeding, bed-sharing, cloth-diapering Mom to Rhiannon Scout, born 11-21-09
#7 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM

No problem. Find out the recommendations and have a discussion with your doctor and go from there. It sounds like she was supportive of your choices to begin with, so she should be flexible enough to work with you to create a schedule that is acceptable to you. All the best.

#8 of 10 Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
This is what I was going from:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...04-dip-eng.php

My children will be over seven years old when they receive their dT and not previously vaccinated. It does say on the chart linked in the above post that the interval between the 2nd and 3rd dose for adult-formulation diphtheria and tetanus toxoid vaccines should be 6 months at minimum up to 12 months for Adacel and Boostrix. Am I misunderstanding the chart perhaps?
Ah, I see - interesting! Sorry, I hadn't seen that section. But it wouldn't apply to the OP anyway as her daughter is under 7. (The difference seems to be that Canada recommends a different type of vaccine for 7s & over receiving DTP for the first time.)
#9 of 10 Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Enough Mum View Post
Ah, I see - interesting! Sorry, I hadn't seen that section. But it wouldn't apply to the OP anyway as her daughter is under 7. (The difference seems to be that Canada recommends a different type of vaccine for 7s & over receiving DTP for the first time.)
Yes, well, I was providing her with the example pertaining to my kids specifically as an illustration of how recommendations can change and it's best to double check according to one's own circumstances.

#10 of 10 Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 AM

Ah, I see. Sorry - it was just a bit confusing in context.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page