Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 4 Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
needing some help with some delayed vaccinating

Hi there,

I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old who are not vaccinated at all.

But our living situation is going to change in August. We are moving into a Faculty in Residence apartment inside of a dorm in a major american university.

I am re-evaluating some of our choices about vaccines due to the student population that we will be around and the potential things we will be exposed to.

I have 2 questions -- 1) Is there anywhere in the US where I can get just the measles part of the MMR?

and 2) Does anyone have information about the meningitis vaccine? Since we will be living in the dorm, my kids would be considered high risk and would be eligible to receive the vaccine.

Meningitis is my biggest fear for them as it is most common in freshman in dorms.

Thank you! I would love some help and support as we navigate this road. I would love to hear from anyone who didn't vaccinate early on and chose vaccines later in their child's life.

Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not in the US, but as far as I know, there's no monovalent measles vaccine available any longer.

As for the meningitis vaccine, I don't have any specific info but will be looking into this one when my kids are closer to their teen years.

The other VAD that seems to pop up on campuses is mumps (for a variety of reasons, discussed elsewhere). So, depending on your perspective of the risk of mumps, that is also one to consider.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 4 Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Japonica. There's no monovalent anymore. But mumps has been more prevalent on campuses, so maybe an MMR would work out. I also don't know anything about the meningitis vaccine.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
IN the US, only the MMR is available. Almost all US universities now require the meningitis vaccine prior to living in the dorm, greatly reducing the number of cases in the dorms.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

User Tag List