MMR and febrile seizures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MMR and febrile seizures

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some advice and encouragement. My youngest son will be 3 in July. He has received 3 dtaps (1 included polio and HIB and 1 included polio and Hep B) That is all he has had for vaccines. After his first Dtap/Hib/Polio vaccine he had his first febrile seizure 7 days after. He was 14 months old (we delayed until then). He had fevers prior to that and never had a seizure. I asked the Drs. if it could be related and they said no, he just had some other illness at the time. Is it weird that his first febrile seizure happened after a vaccine? So I waited until the next summer and he received a plain dtap. I noticed afterwards he kind of stared around and was tired. He ended up sick with a 104 temp after that, twitchy but never a seizure. He has had two other febrile seizures since. One with an ear infection and one with a viral illness. My question is that with increased outbreaks of Measles and mumps would it be wise to get him an MMR? I am driving myself crazy worrying about it. I worry if I get him the MMR he will have a bad reaction with seizures etc. I'm worried if I don't he could get the disease. I just don't know what to do. The doctors of course say that febrile seizures are no big deal and that he will outgrow them. I just want to live without being fearful of the disease or the vaccine whichever I choose. I want to let him go places without worrying he's going to catch something. I want to do what is best for him and I can't get a peaceful decision on what that is. Do any of you have children that have had febrile seizures? If so, how do you decided on the risk vs. benefit of any vaccine?
Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 06-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DD has seizures (both febrile & epileptic). We do not vax during cold & flu season since going to the doctor during that time makes it likely to pick up a bug. She has had both MMRs, and did not run a fever with either. She did run a fever after her DTaP. We did titers, which were low, before the 2nd vax. My concern was that with several measles outbreaks in the area, and frequent doctor visits (she is SN), we were likely to be exposed, and the high fever associated with measles could send her into status epilepticus.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#3 of 4 Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliandfinnmom View Post
My question is that with increased outbreaks of Measles and mumps would it be wise to get him an MMR? I am driving myself crazy worrying about it. I worry if I get him the MMR he will have a bad reaction with seizures etc. I'm worried if I don't he could get the disease. I just don't know what to do. The doctors of course say that febrile seizures are no big deal and that he will outgrow them. I just want to live without being fearful of the disease or the vaccine whichever I choose. I want to let him go places without worrying he's going to catch something. I want to do what is best for him and I can't get a peaceful decision on what that is. Do any of you have children that have had febrile seizures? If so, how do you decided on the risk vs. benefit of any vaccine?
Thanks!
My son had a high fever/febrile seizure reaction to the combo MMRV when he was 3. That's the only reaction he has had, and he got his second dose later without any reaction at all. MMRV is more reactive for the first dose than getting separate MMR and Varicella, or MMR alone for the first dose.

I just weigh the risks by knowing that the vaccine has a much weaker virus than the wild virus, and so any reaction to the vaccine will be milder than the disease. If my son would have caught measles, he most likely would have had the high fever and febrile seizure, plus a couple weeks of horrible illness and who knows what other ill effects. Also, the fever and illness would come on unexpectedly, at any time, with disease. With the vaccine, I can keep a close eye on my kid for the 2-3 weeks after a vaccine and feel more confident thereafter.

It makes the vaccine, to me, the obvious choice both for my nerves and to protect my kids.
#4 of 4 Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We started off wanting to select/delay but were pretty harshly pushed at 2 and 5mos to fully vax (with the exception of no rota after 2mos). DD had low grade fevers, very lethargic, massive diarrhea, vomiting, and the DTaP scream. Not all seizures involve twitching so I'm not completely sure she didn't have one although later thoughts from the ND we switched to were that it was a very high possibility for her in the future. My father is epileptic with cerebral palsy.

For me, I fear the unknown of subsequent vaccine damage at this point more than I do the disease. She's got some residual food issues with a probably MTHFR mutation and she's highly sensitive to chemicals in general so at this point vaxxing carries more risk than the disease.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page