how do you handle this... child needs surgery not 100% vaccinated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how do you handle this... child needs surgery not 100% vaccinated

My 4-year-old DS has swollen adenoids (pediatrician confirmed). It became noticeable after he was sick last November. The poor guy had a horrible time over the winter. We tried everything for relief and nothing worked. At his WCV a few months ago, his MD suggested we try a trial of Flonase first before being referred to an ENT. The Flonase helped dramatically almost right after we started it. That was a little over a month ago. We were told to try it for a month, which ended last week. He was doing so well, but he just got a cold yesterday. So, I guess that is going to set us back a bit. After the cold runs its course, I am going to reevaluate everything, see how his adenoids were affected, and go from there. If his adenoids are terrible, I am a little worried that he may end up being referred to an ENT and that surgery will be recommended. I am not worried about him having the surgery. I had both my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was a kid. I had recurrent strep throat, tonsillitis, and sinus infections. What I am worried about is the potential for the surgeon to question me about his vaccine history and us not seeing eye-to-eye on the subject. I don't know if they'll do that or not, but I suppose I should be prepared for it. My main concern would be the surgeon refusing to do the surgery if my son doesn't have certain vaccines and us getting into a debate over it. He has most of his vaccines, but we don't do everything and delay. He hasn't had a vaccine since he was 2. Anyone have experience with this? How did you handle it?

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
2 of my 3 kids have had surgery (teeth) and it was one of the few times in a hospital setting where vaccines where not an issue. I do not remember them being part of the pre-op process. I would get other feedback - but I would try and relax (easier said than done, I know )

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM

My son had several surgeries (for cancer, so that may make it a little different), but, similar to what Kathymuggle experienced, vaccines were never really discussed as part of the surgical process. I would guess that a surgeon is probably less likely than most to be interested in getting into a discussion about vaccine status than most other doctors that your child would see. (Just from my own experience.)

I'm sorry that your little guy has been so sick; I hope that you are able to figure this out with his docs so that he can get some relief.
#4 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
If your pediatrician is on board with your select/delay approach to vaccines, then can you just tell your surgeon (if he even asks) that you are working closely with your pediatrician, and that any vaccines your child is "late" on can be caught up after surgery?
#5 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
If your pediatrician is on board with your select/delay approach to vaccines, then can you just tell your surgeon (if he even asks) that you are working closely with your pediatrician, and that any vaccines your child is "late" on can be caught up after surgery?

I did think of this scenario... telling him/her that the vaccination discussion is between me and DS's pediatrician and that I would follow-up with her after surgery. I guess it just makes me nervous... this whole thing. Neither one of my kids has had any major medical issues so I have no experience with this as of yet. You just never know these days what you may be asked by the medical community and how far their reach is. Seems like any thing out of the mainstream will raise a red flag to them and just one little thing can have CPS knocking on your door. Just before I came on here I was reading about this... http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/fatima-doumboya/

Scary, scary stuff. This happens all the time now it seems.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#6 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
You might want to make sure that you don't come across as argumentative or combative. Don't raise it as an argumentative issue. If the doctor asks, smile and say that you've been delaying some vaccines on the advice of your pediatrician, and that you are continuing to work with the pediatrician to make sure that your child receives all necessary* vaccines.

* You do NOT need to define "necessary" here. Get the vaccines that you and your pediatrician feel are necessary, at whatever time seems best (like when your child is completely healthy and not dealing with surgery).

That article is, indeed, very frightening, and I'm hearing more and more stories like that.

I can't help wondering, though, if there's more to that story than we're being told. Why would the mother walk into a HOSPITAL to have her healthy baby examined? That struck me as very, very odd. I can see making an appointment with a pediatrician, or bringing the baby to a clinic, but a hospital? Am I missing something?
#7 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmattsmom88 View Post

Scary, scary stuff. This happens all the time now it seems.
I am not sure. I think we make a big deal of it when non-vaxxers are treated horribly because any event is a big deal and should not happen. That does not mean it happens often.

There is also the difference between treated in a way you find annoying and treated horribly/in a way that compromises care. Ex: last time I was in the ER (not surgery) with my daughter I was asked 3 times if she was up to date. I did get an eyeball rolling judgement from one doctor, and he asked me why were non-vax. I literally replied "do you really want me to explain why?" to which he laughed and said no. I think he knew it was a poor use of his time, lol. None-the-less, my daughter was given appropriate medical care. I think annoying response to non-vax might be fairly common, but horrible unprofessional ones are less common. You can get through an annoying or frustrating response - it will only last a minute or two and then be over. (ETA: I am not excusing annoying care, it is unprofessional. I am just trying to help you or anyone else feel empowered when dealing with doctors. Annoying behaviour is not the end of the world. And while hcp may not like non-vaxxers, unless something else is going on, many of them have much bigger fish to fry)

I think the odds are go it will not be brought up at all - and if it is, just say you and your primary care physician are in discussion about it. Then change the subject and ask something surgery related. Be confident. I really think it will be fine

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Last edited by kathymuggle; 06-11-2014 at 11:21 AM.
#8 of 9 Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
You might want to make sure that you don't come across as argumentative or combative. Don't raise it as an argumentative issue. If the doctor asks, smile and say that you've been delaying some vaccines on the advice of your pediatrician, and that you are continuing to work with the pediatrician to make sure that your child receives all necessary* vaccines.

* You do NOT need to define "necessary" here. Get the vaccines that you and your pediatrician feel are necessary, at whatever time seems best (like when your child is completely healthy and not dealing with surgery).

That article is, indeed, very frightening, and I'm hearing more and more stories like that.

I can't help wondering, though, if there's more to that story than we're being told. Why would the mother walk into a HOSPITAL to have her healthy baby examined? That struck me as very, very odd. I can see making an appointment with a pediatrician, or bringing the baby to a clinic, but a hospital? Am I missing something?

What you wrote that I bolded sounds like a perfect thing to say!! And, you're right about not sounding argumentative.

About the unassisted birth link, it is not clear why exactly she decided to go to the hospital. I went to the blog that she actually wrote the story in. She didn't mention the why. She indicated that she stopped going to her prenatal visits at around 7 months I think. Maybe she just wanted to make sure all was well? I agree about not going to the ER. That was not the best decision. There are two sides to every story. It would be interesting to get the other side of it. To me, the really scary thing is the parental rights issue. If everything this mother stated is true, the hospital overstepped is boundaries by a long shot. And, the CPS visits afterwards were way over the top. It should never have happened. I do hear about this kind of stuff a lot more as of late and it is terrifying. Just read recently this... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-doesnt-exist/.

#9 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DD is selectively vaxed, and she has her 3rd surgery scheduled for next week. The surgeons have never asked me about vax status. I always get asked during the history that is taken by the anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist. I simply respond, "We are on a delayed schedule." That has always satisfied them. I answer honestly and confidently, and we have never had a problem.

Now as for the CPS thing. My DD has special needs and we have had multiple ER visits, and never had a problem with me saying we are on a delayed schedule. I have also been a nurse for 15 years, worked mainly with children, and in 2 ERs. Never, has anyone I have known called CPS on vax status. In fact, in cases of medical neglect, it is usually only for life-saving procedures (like blood transfusions). If someone in the ER calls CPS, we can not discharge the patient until CPS arrives, so we do not do it unless the situation warrants it. I have also personally seen a child's parent on the evening news complaining we called CPS because of her race, when in reality the child had 2nd degree burns which are an automatic referral. People saw her and thought oh, poor lady, when the ER was bound by patient confidentiality not to report what really happened.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page