DTaP vs Tdap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
DTaP vs Tdap

I know that the DTaP is what they give the younger kids and that the Tdap is what they give the older kids. However, I would like to know how they differ.

My concern lies with my middle child. She had the DTaP series when she was little. I hesitated at her kindy visit, but she did receive her final dose at that time. Unfortunately, she seemed to have a problematic reaction to that dose. It was bad enough that I brought her in, the nurse was concerned, but the doctor acted like it was no big deal. It was the only vaccine in that leg, her leg swelled up to the point that she couldn't really walk. I asked for the reaction to be reported to VAERS but I don't know if that happened.

So, I am hesitant to do the Tdap since it protects against the same diseases. However, this child is prone to accident/injury and I feel that it is better to have her Tetanus up to date. It would add insult to injury if she had to get a shot after an accident. I understand that there is debate about the necessity of the tetanus.

Also, does anyone have information about the prevalence of diphtheria or pertussis? I believe that pertussis is more prevalent in our area and I am leaning toward that part of the vaccine simply because we spend a lot of time with a family whose son is particularly prone to Pertussis. He is fully vaccinated, but still gets pertussis fairly often.

This is getting long; I am sorry. Our doctor acts like she shouldn't have any problem since it is a different vaccine. I worry that the reaction could be worse this time. It isn't worth it to me if she would have the same reaction, much less a worse one.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
I know that the DTaP is what they give the younger kids and that the Tdap is what they give the older kids. However, I would like to know how they differ.

My concern lies with my middle child. She had the DTaP series when she was little. I hesitated at her kindy visit, but she did receive her final dose at that time. Unfortunately, she seemed to have a problematic reaction to that dose. It was bad enough that I brought her in, the nurse was concerned, but the doctor acted like it was no big deal. It was the only vaccine in that leg, her leg swelled up to the point that she couldn't really walk. I asked for the reaction to be reported to VAERS but I don't know if that happened.

So, I am hesitant to do the Tdap since it protects against the same diseases. However, this child is prone to accident/injury and I feel that it is better to have her Tetanus up to date. It would add insult to injury if she had to get a shot after an accident. I understand that there is debate about the necessity of the tetanus.

Also, does anyone have information about the prevalence of diphtheria or pertussis? I believe that pertussis is more prevalent in our area and I am leaning toward that part of the vaccine simply because we spend a lot of time with a family whose son is particularly prone to Pertussis. He is fully vaccinated, but still gets pertussis fairly often.

This is getting long; I am sorry. Our doctor acts like she shouldn't have any problem since it is a different vaccine. I worry that the reaction could be worse this time. It isn't worth it to me if she would have the same reaction, much less a worse one.

Amy
The TDap Vaccinates for the same 3 diseases as the DTaP, but with a lower level of Diptheria. Pertussis is very much around, you can look up your local state health department epidemiology dept and they can tell you how many cases of pertussis have been diagnosed in the last year. The CDC has a map as well, but it is broken into metropolitan & surrounding areas.

Most docs will only give the tetanus toxoid by itself after an injury. I would definitely be wary of getting the next vax, and would probably ask for a second opinion.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thank you. After reading your reply, I spent a fair amount of time digging around the CDC website. It turns out that both versions have the "complete swelling of a limb" as a side effect. Perhaps it isn't intentional, but they use different numbers to describe nearly the same chance of it happening. In the DTaP they say 1 in 30. In the Tdap, 3 in 100. I realize that they aren't the same odds, but they are so close that I really don't want to chance it. Additionally, I looked up the pertussis outbreak map and how they would treat pertussis (including odds of severe complications from it). I also looked up diphtheria, and confirmed that I feel ok skipping that.

So, I have decided to skip that vax for now. I will get her titers checked so I know where she stands, and I sat and chatted with her about our options. I wanted her to have some input. She understands that if she were to plunge a pitchfork through her foot (the common example at my house since my sister did that) that she would also get a shot at the ER for tetanus. She also knows that the injury doesn't need to be that severe to warrant the tetanus.

Thanks for letting me ramble and sort my thoughts on this board.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

User Tag List