Tetanus Shot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tetanus Shot

I'm wondering how many selective/delayed vaxxers out there got the tetanus shot for their LOs? My DD is almost 1, and so far she has had 1 dose of DTaP. My husband wants her to get the tetanus shot (not sure if it's available by itself for babies...), but I am on the fence -- I have done some research and it seems like washing a wound with soap and water, letting it bleed, and applying hydrogen peroxide, and getting the TiG immunoglobulin (as opposed to the toxoid) is more effective. We do not live on a farm, but she does spend lots of time outside, and we visit friends on a farm regularly. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I asked my doctor about it too because my son had a really bad reaction to the DTaP and now has virus induced asthma that has landed him the ER three times. And he has eczema. She said they don't give the tetanus shot to babies/toddlers. It could be different where you are. We are delaying DTaP for him and his younger sister for awhile.
#3 of 4 Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
We started off select/delay, ended up stopping because of reactions to DTaP at 2 and 5mos. At this point I have no plans to vax for tetanus. I'm pretty confident in the fact it's pretty rare, proper wound care, and when in doubt the ER should admin TIG anyways. DD is 2.5 and a complete dirt seeking tomboy, she's in the garden with me all the time, and we compost with manure, have friends with farms, and she is perpetually bare foot. I've had some pretty severe reactions to tdap boosters as an adult and since she has many of the same sensitivities as I do we've assessed that the risk of the vax reaction is so much greater for her than the risk of actually contracting tetanus that we'll just play it by ear. As she gets older and understand a bit more I'll start to talk to her about wound care and washing, but for now we watch her and give her a good once over in the tub - which I generally use some variety of epsom salts, baking soda, and/or essential oils so it all gets cleaned up pretty well. There is no singular tetanus, even the lesser combo still contains diphtheria and for most cases in the ER they will give tdap booster, not Td and NOT the TIG because they don't actually think it's tetanus.
#4 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you so much for the input -- that is what I think, too, about wound care and TiG shot. I will convey that to my husband. I do not want to give her any more doses of DTaP, so if that is our only option at this point, I am not worried. I will continue to research. I really appreciate your thoughts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page