Non-vaccination, selective vaccination or delayed vaccination views in West L.A.?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Non-vaccination, selective vaccination or delayed vaccination views in West L.A.??

Hi all,

My name is Gary Baum and I'm a writer at The Hollywood Reporter, a Los Angeles-based publication that serves an entertainment industry audience. I cover many non-business issues (from environmental to medical) that closely affect our readership. Right now, timed with the beginning of the school year, I'm working on a story about vaccinations, alternative schedules and personal belief exemptions -- particularly following the passage of AB 2109, a California state bill that went in to effect January 1st that makes it more difficult to claim such exemptions.

I have poured through Los Angeles County Department of Public Health data and noticed that there is a much higher exemption rate in West L.A. (our primary readership coverage area) than in Los Angeles County at large (10% versus 2% in 2013). This means that parents likely are seeking out selective and delayed vaccinations (or choosing against vaccinations altogether) for their children in far greater numbers than elsewhere. I have been speaking to many pediatricians, researchers and public health officials about this interesting, geographically specific phenomenon, but I also want to speak to parents directly about their preferences, as it's of course an important topic.

Might there be anyone out there reading this on Mothering.com who would be willing to chat with me who lives somewhere in the greater Westside of Los Angeles? I'd prefer to talk on the record, as readers trust and connect better with people using their real names, but can do so anonymously as well. My office line is 323-525-2102, and my e-mail address is gary.baum [at] thr [dot] com. For reference, my deadline is August 8th.

Any help would be much appreciated --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I personally would never answer your survey as it is an invasion of my family's healthcare privacy. I have participated in these interviews and surveys in the past only to be very disappointed in the outcome.

However you may get more attention for your search if you post the same request at the Finding Your Tribe forum ... http://www.mothering.com/forum/92-california-nevada/

BTW, according to state public health records, there is a higher rate of children with vaccine exemptions in private schools in the OC.

YOU should read the pertinent law.
Cal Ed Code § 48216. Exclusion of pupil who has not been immunized; Notice to parents
Cal Health & Saf Code § 120325. Legislative intent
17 CCR § 6051. Unconditional Admission with Permanent Medical Exemption or Personal Beliefs Exemption
And have a copy of the form ... Exemption Form effective 2014

I suggest that you talk to the school desk clerks and school nurses who will be handling that paperwork. My experience has been from the time I was a student to when my youngest started college is that most school clerks and nurses do not know what to do with an exemption and simply tell the parent to go get the vaccines; that reaction comes from public, private, and religious schools - that may have changed. I hope it has with all of this media attention.

Good luck.

Last edited by applejuice; 07-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.

User Tag List