Thinking about it... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't now, but we're thinking about doing some of them. Slowly. Like, one shot at a time.. And absolutley no more than that!

Which vacc's did you choose and why?
#2 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM

I have not vaxxed my children as of yet, but I am also thinking about it. I feel woefully uninformed and confused by the information, and trying to figure out what the bias is in everything. :
#3 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Me too!! :
#4 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM

Hi mamas! I thought I'd get involved here even though my babe is about a month from making her appearance. I've been doing a lot of research about vaccinations and one of the most compelling articles I've read about delayed and selective vaccinations can be found here.

The author is Dr. Donald ******, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle.

In summary, this is what he recommends:
1. No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
2. No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
3. No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

The only thing I am adding to this personally is that I won't use a vaccine that uses aborted fetal cells, so the polio vax might be out for me anyway. I have a really great ped who is going to help me with all these decisions, too. He's got 12 unvaxed kids, so he's on my side!

If you haven't seen this page, it's worth knowing what's in the vaccines so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to inject it into your kiddo.

Hope that helps!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

#5 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 PM

Becken,
just wanted to say that was a really good post! thanks
rach
#6 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken
These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
I thought he'd amended his list? Pertussis, Diphtheria and Tetanus can not be gotten individually in the US and I think he took polio off the list? Perhaps someone knows where to check.

-Angela
#7 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

My friend just got her 3 year old vaxed for the first time and it was the Dtap, all three together. Her naturopath told her they cannot be done separately.

Also, as far as I know, thimerosal is only in the flu vaxes nowadays.
#8 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 02:42 PM

Thimerosal is also found in DTaP/Hib, Pediarix (DTaP/HepB/IPV), HepB, some brands of DTaP, and Meningococcal. In "trace" amounts, of course.
#9 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Banned

Here is information on the amounts of thimerosal in vaccines, by manufacturer.

http://www.fda.gov/CBER/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#t1
#10 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 PM

And that's pretty much what I said; several vaxes still contain thimerasol.http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/...nt-table-2.pdf
#11 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM

My dd is twelve and has never been vaccinated, but we are considering it now, for various reasons. My ds is two. I have concerns about mercury/toxicity, etc, but am not convinced there is really a causal relationship with autism.

Depending on the actual toxin and quantity, "trace" amounts might be quite acceptable to those of us choosing to vaccinate. I don't eat all organic food, either, because in some foods it doesn't matter.

I would definitely vaccinate for polio now that the killed-versus-live issue has been settled.

We plan to travel to the East and we have much contact with international travelers, so MMR is probably in the cards for us too, though I plan to delay as long as possible with ds, since he's only 2. I never thought I would, but I am even considering chicken pox for ds, since it is getting harder to contract that naturally. A friend has attended several pox parties and no luck for her kids.

For some of these diseases I guess my thinking is to wait a few years, and if the child hasn't gotten the disease naturally, vaccinate for it.

My pediatrician is very happy to set up a schedule according to my preferences, but we're moving this month so I might as well wait and begin with the new pediatrician.

An advantage to waiting a while is that there are some vaccines even the doctors don't want to bother with once the child is past a certain age, whether they're recommended or not.

However, some vaccines for older children and adults contain thimerosol, so if that's an issue one might even want to vaccinate early rather than later.
#12 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Trace amounts may very well be acceptable for parents who choose to vax. But, too many parents don't realize the trace amounts are still there because they're told that vaxes are now completely mercury-free.

Also, while I believe that mercury may play a role in autism, I think that it's more likely due to the combo of toxins beyond mercury. Thimerosal is only one concern.
#13 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 03:42 PM

My daughter was fully vaxed through her 6 month well baby visit. At the 9 month, no vaxes were required, and by her 12 month, I'd decided to delay.

My DH is not comfortable not vaxing at all, but is willing to compromise and vax on a delayed schedule. So that's what we're doing.

The shots that were due at the 12 month visit were HiB, Hep A, Prevnar, and MMR. I've decided that she will not receive Prevnar at all, as she's already had that one 3 times, which is the manufacturer's recommendation. She won't receive the MMR until we enroll her in school. I'm still researching HiB atm, but will most likely have her get the Hep A vax in the next 2 weeks (13 months). The way things look right now, she will get the HiB when she's about 14 or 15 months old.
#14 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becken
Hi mamas! I thought I'd get involved here even though my babe is about a month from making her appearance. I've been doing a lot of research about vaccinations and one of the most compelling articles I've read about delayed and selective vaccinations can be found here.

The author is Dr. Donald ******, cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle.

In summary, this is what he recommends:
1. No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
2. No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
3. No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus

The only thing I am adding to this personally is that I won't use a vaccine that uses aborted fetal cells, so the polio vax might be out for me anyway. I have a really great ped who is going to help me with all these decisions, too. He's got 12 unvaxed kids, so he's on my side!

If you haven't seen this page, it's worth knowing what's in the vaccines so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to inject it into your kiddo.

Hope that helps!
Becken, thanks for the info! THat is great that you've done so much research and your babe isn't even here yet!

That book is on my list but I haven't gotten to read it yet- I'm just curious why he recommends polio? From what I've read so far (admittedly not much compared to most of you!) polio isn't a huge one to be worried about.

Also, which vax are cultured on human cells? That is a big issue for me as well.

My ped also said that DTaP could not be obtained separately.
#15 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie
The way things look right now, she will get the HiB when she's about 14 or 15 months old.
Does someone know the top age that Hib is approved for? I thought I remembered that it was one that if not given by X age it's not given at all.

-Angela
#16 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM

I've been so afraid to start immunizations with my little boy. It's crazy because with my girls, (born in 94 and 96) I just followed along what the doctors said and they were fully immunized. I had no worries and just didn't know a thing.

My little man was my preemie, born at 33wks due to severe preeclampsia. He spent a month in NICU to learn to eat, hold his temperature and gain weight because he was IUGR thanks to the wonderful Pre-e.

If I could, I would wait til well past a year old to start any immunization if at all, but of course I do have a husband who wants him to get atleast some of the shots. (his brother is almost completely deaf due to meningitis so that is a big worry for him) So a compromise..
I decided to Only do the HIB, DTaP and IPV and do them one at a time and a month apart. I told the doc and she said he wasn't high risk for Polio, so I could take that away. ( Yay, one less immunization!)
So that leaves just the HIB and DTap for him to get. Those again, will be one at a time and a month apart.

It was all at my son's recent doc visit that it all got discussed... My doc said if anything, to please atleast start one shot and if anything, start the DTaP.
The DTaP shot scares me Alot though, so I'm having a hard time with that one. So finally I took my little guy in to get his first shot. The HIB at 7mos old..
#17 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 PM

I would not vax a premie until at least 2. The vaxes are NOT tested on premature babies, they're tested on full-term babies.

I do understand the pressure from the DH though.
#18 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I wanted to wait as long as possible due to him being preemie.. But my doc said he isn't to be categorized anymore as preemie, because he's done so well in catching up.
#19 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Dar

Sorry to join the party late - Mondays are my busiest days...

I know it will take us a while to get our bearings here, I'd like to ask all of you to please PM me if you have any concerns about posts in this forum, rather than posting about them on-thread. I'd also like to ask that if your comment isn't directly in response to the subject or a question asked on a thread and it doesn't specifically relate to selective or delayed vax, that you refrain from posting it here. I've removed some posts from this thread that don't meet those criteria.

Thanks!

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#20 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Does someone know the top age that Hib is approved for? I thought I remembered that it was one that if not given by X age it's not given at all.

-Angela
If the child is 15 months or older, only ONE (1) dose of Hib is recommended.
#21 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Thimerosal is also found in DTaP/Hib, Pediarix (DTaP/HepB/IPV), HepB, some brands of DTaP, and Meningococcal. In "trace" amounts, of course.
Unless you specifically request single dose formulationis, full strength thimerosal (25 micrograms) is found in:

TT (tetanus only; age 7+)
Td (age 7+)
DT (up to age 7)
Menomune brand (meningitis).

Menactra does not contain thimerosal.
#22 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks LongIsland! Is there an age after whichthe Hib is not given? Is it required for k-12 school in most states?

-Angela
#23 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Thanks LongIsland! Is there an age after whichthe Hib is not given? Is it required for k-12 school in most states?

-Angela
One of the three Hib brands is indicated up to four years of age, but the other two aren't. It's not required for kindergarten in any state and won't be because of the indication age, but it's required in most states for daycare and preschool.

Again, only one dose is required if the child enters daycare/preschool on/after 15 months.
#24 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 05:49 PM

That's good to know. So if someone wanted to do all the vaxes required for school and they weren't doing preschool or daycare, they could skip that all together.

-Angela
#25 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
Also, which vax are cultured on human cells? That is a big issue for me as well.
http://www.cogforlife.org/fetalvaccines.htm

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#26 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM

My dd is just over three and a half and we live in Northern Ontario. Z is starting preschool at the Montessori this September and I had to send in a copy of her vax record to the school. All officially stamped and everything... seemed a bit much to me.

Up to this point in time Z has been fully vaxed, but now I'm thinking of delaying the rest of her vaxes (which ones I decide to go with) and spreading them out significantly. She's not due for any boosters until she's six, so it gives me some time to do research and think about it.

Our paed (while vax, um, friendly? ) is not pushy in the slightest and doesn't think much of the 'extra' vaxes (chicken pox, the meningococcal, etc.) so we didn't even really discuss them - I just said I wasn't interested. He has three small children, and I know he selectively/delays vaxing them.

I'm a nursing student and each year I have to have a tb test prior to school starting, and am supposed to get the flu shot in November. I tried to get out of it last year, but wasn't sure about how to get around it. This year I'm going to go to the health unit and talk to them - I want more info before just submitting to the shot.

I'm interested as well in talking about whether or not the tb test is necessary every year, and what the hell is in it exactly. is that even considered a vax?

The whole vax issue seems huge and intricate to me. I look forward to talking about it with everyone else.

ETA - Z was on prednisone (pediapred) for a year in order to control the growth of a hemangioma on her face. I'm not sure if that's relevant at all to the discussion at hand, but to me it was significant that she was on a steroid for so long at such a young age.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#27 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM

#28 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynn
Eh, I'd get a second opinion on that. We had some preemies in our family, but the peds were quite conservative in declaring them 'caught up'.

Just like you wouldn't induce a baby that reads "eight pounds" on an ultrasound at 35 weeks, you can't use a couple of 'naked eye' critera, IMO on something as undoable as vaxes and induction.
So far we've seen 3 different doctors until I found one I liked better and all of them said the same thing.. So, I don't know who else I'd see. Being military probably doesn't help matters much does it.

He's 29wks now (7mos + 1wk) but adjusted, would be 22wks old (5 and a half mos of course), so atleast I was able to wait a bit before starting any immunization. Although waiting longer would have been better, thats for sure.
#29 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM

Ds had his first vaccine, the mercury free DTaP at 8 years old.

The first dose did fine, just a little cranky the next day.

I waited almost a year for his second dose. We did the same exact shot.

The second time did not go well. He spiked a high fever. His leg was hot and red and he could not walk for 2 days. He was in extreme pain and totally miserable. I had never seen him get a fever like that outside of babyhood. He was probably 103.

So, we did not do the recommended third dose. I considered that a serious reaction. He had two doses, and hopefully formed immunity to Pertussis and Tetanus, which were my main concerns.

Our reasons for doing this were based on two concerns.

There are Pertussis outbreaks here and ds has a heart condition. He does not need a lung condition as straining as Pertussis.

With the tetanus, we planned to spend a lot of time on farms. Until he got the shot I could not relax.

No regrets here at all. I felt 100% better having done the shots.

Remember he was totally unvaxed for 8 years~longer than most people had unvaxed kids who disagreed with me for doing the shot! After 8 years I knew my fears were not going away. I talked to ds about this at length and he fully agreed that he wanted the shot. He was sick of wearing shoes all the time outside and the first thing he did was run around barefoot *LOL*

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#30 of 66 Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama
Ds had his first vaccine, the mercury free DTaP at 8 years old.
DTaP is not indicated for a child older than seven years of age, nor is it required for school entry when the child is 7+ for this very reason.

ETA one of the DTaP product inserts showing that the vaccine should only be administered to a child up to age seven: http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4620_4.04.pdf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page