parents who choose/chose/may vax: Setting up your delay schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2006, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you weren't totally ready before the child came (whichever number you're on) how have you managed to delay or push off until you can get more information to make your decision? Did you start with state statutes, or ask your doctor to provide the mandatory CDC information one appointment prior to the immunization appointment?

Once you've figured out what/if you'll be giving, or just trying to keep it in place as long as possible before a 'requirement' kicks in (school attendance, legal care provider) are you stringing along on temporary medical exemptions if philisophical exemptions aren't allowed? Or are you finding a way to reconcile your belief system with the need for a claim of religious exemption, if religious exemption isn't "easily" true, internally?

Have you had any luck in finding a provider to assist/not refuse to treat if they are informed of your delayed schedule?

Would/did delaying give you breathing room in regards to laying out and getting/giving more information about vaxxes and discussing it further with the other co-parenting stakeholders in regards to your child's health?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynn
or ask your doctor to provide the mandatory CDC information one appointment prior to the immunization appointment?
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Vaccine Information Statement (VIS), which is federally mandated to be handed out prior to the administration of each vaccine does not contain all the information needed to make an informed decision regarding vaccination. Not even close.

The Vaccine Information Statements are misleading, elementary and inadequate.

The CDC Pink Book chapters on each disease (stickied) are a better resource.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM

i'm perfectly capable to find the information *I* need to make an informed decision for my family. don't need or expect others to give it to me or have it be predigested and spoonfed.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration
don't need or expect others to give it to me or have it be predigested and spoonfed.

Unfortunately, most parents will read the "predigested" VIS BS handed to them and that will be the beginning (and end) of their research.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 PM

I never told my doctor what my intended schedule was, I just went to the check up & said "no, we won't be getting vax x,y & z today." Basically I don't discuss vaxing with my doctor because I don't really see that it will serve any productive purpose. But I do find that doctors are generally easier to work with if you are delaying/selective vaxing vs not vaxing at all. And I also find that the older docs are more accepting of selective vaxing.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I do find that doctors are generally easier to work with if you are delaying/selective vaxing vs not vaxing at all.
ITA. Which is why I just continue to tell our ped that we're "delaying indefinitely."

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
stringing along on temporary medical exemptions
Can you please explain to me how this is done? What's a "temporary medical exemption"? I've never heard of such a thing.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
If you weren't totally ready before the child came (whichever number you're on) how have you managed to delay or push off until you can get more information to make your decision?
When my first was born, I wasn't ready, so I simply said "no".

Quote:
Have you had any luck in finding a provider to assist/not refuse to treat if they are informed of your delayed schedule?
Yes. And it wasn't that hard. Just took a bit of time and work.

Quote:
Would/did delaying give you breathing room in regards to laying out and getting/giving more information about vaxxes and discussing it further with the other co-parenting stakeholders in regards to your child's health?
co-parenting stakeholders? No. My husband was on board and up to speed at the same time as I was, because we do things as a partnership and work together. We do not believe in deceiving one another, having secrets or setting up a situation where the system can play us off of each other. A house divided against itself is a minefield waiting to happen. If that is the case, the children have a lot more to worry about that any vaccines coming their way.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
No, he wasn't open to deviating at all from the AAP/CDC recommendations at that time so delaying wouldn't have done anything for me. I was the one in charge of handling all health care & daily care of the kids so I just quit discussing it with him period. He's fine with it now, but several years have passed & he's only recently arrived at the point where he is now.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
stringing along on temporary medical exemptions
: Still waiting for an explanation on how this is accomplished ...

Quote:
Or are you finding a way to reconcile your belief system with the need for a claim of religious exemption, if religious exemption isn't "easily" true, internally?
No reconciliation or compromise is necessary.
If you believe that vaccinations are harmful, then delayed/selective/no vaccination does not conflict with your sincerely held beliefs, period. If you need to officially label it a belief system for your own peace of mind, just call it the Church of Mynn.

Or, as LI (I think?) suggested, The Church of Flipflops.

I love that one.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
Or, as LI (I think?) suggested, The Church of Flipflops.

I love that one.

Yes, it was indeed called the CoF.

There is a very fine line between a philosophical belief and a religious belief, which is why many states with philo exemptions fold in religious beliefs with the philosophical exemption.

Even Pennsylvania, which technically offers no philo exemption, makes a point of mentioning in their statute that the parent may hold a moral conviction "similar to a religious belief" and still qualify for a religious exemption.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland

There is a very fine line between a philosophical belief and a religious belief, which is why many states with philo exemptions fold in religious beliefs with the philosophical exemption.
Yup. In Texas there is only one form for the philo/religious exemption. It doesn't even specify which you are claiming.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting
Yup. In Texas there is only one form for the philo/religious exemption. It doesn't even specify which you are claiming.

Same with California.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
Can you please explain to me how this is done? What's a "temporary medical exemption"? I've never heard of such a thing.
Sorry, I've been unavailable online pending some personal and legal matters that have now been satisfactorially resolved.

Temporary Medical Exemption. Current one is set to expire in Oct, once the temporary condition that makes the shots in question dangerous will be gone. Such a legal use of exemptions has allowed me to stay within the law, keeping my excellent daycare happy, while allowing me to string out and avoid completely a number of series.

amnesiac: ah, that makes sense about your parenting partner. I know my glut of posts the other night seemed odd (and are now scattered ) but they were topics/discussions I was prepping once they brought back the tribe format (now our own entire forum hooray!). Then all the complicated personal and legal issues that surround each bit could flow like this, rather than be scattered in multiple forums. Our new doc is kind of old-school (for all his picking up of chicks and their kids at taco stands ) so I'm hoping our delay and skip plan will float and I don't need to begin a search anew.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 AM

Personally, I just tell the nurse when she does the height/weight "we won't be vaxing today", and she tells my ped... who says (with NO attitude at all, in a "just checking" way..)" no vaxes today?"

me: "nope" and I usually give an explanation like "eh, she's at home with me and not in daycare, we plan to catch up at some point, but it's too soon" and then sometimes I discuss my plans for the NEXT shot. "we plan on getting JUST her MMR at her 2 year checkup if she feels well... And honestly, she usually says "that makes sense, she's already fairly well covered on the other fronts"

I really feel like that although she is pro-vax, she respects our choices.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 PM

I really need some help!
I have appt w/ DD to start her vax (DH wouldn't agree to no vax so our comprimise was to postphone until 1 year before kindergarten, which is now)
She will start in a week, I have begun re-researching about vax and called the school nurse (annonomously) for info, and now I am freaking out.

School nurse said NY law has changed and Hep-b and chicken pox are now required for kindergarten entry (I think it used to be 6th & 7th grade) They are 2 I didn't want to do but now to give it to a 4 year old?!?:

DH agrees some have dangers and risks and he wishes we could pick and choose, but says if it's all or nothing we'll take all, and thats what all the other kids already have and they're all fine:

I don't think DH has a list of the ones he wants , I think he just feels like what if we never vax'd and she got some dreadful disease. It would be our fault. I have tried for years to get him to come around but he has a VERY conventional past and this is one he can't get over. I think if we did polio, MMR (seperate) and DP he'd feel satisfied. He may not even ask for boosters.

So how can I go about selective vax and can I legally? I have about a week until her appt.,and I may cancell it (school nurse said she doesn't have to be complete for kindergarten entry, just well started off w/ appointments and a vax schedual) I just really feel in my heart this (having all of them on the school list) is WRONG and I am really not ready to do this to my daughter.

Thanks Chris
Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 PM

I haven't had any problems with delaying (yet).

When we go to the appointments I simply say which one we're doing, or if none, which has been most appts, generally discuss which one I might think of doing next. It hasn't been an issue.

That information they give you at the office is useless- actually they gave me the sheets *after* he had the shot- now, what good is that ini helping people make an informed decision?? It is so basic. I get my info from my own research!

I'm not sure why you'd need a temporary medical exemption if the kid isn't in school/daycare.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinesmommy
I really need some help!
I have appt w/ DD to start her vax (DH wouldn't agree to no vax so our comprimise was to postphone until 1 year before kindergarten, which is now)
She will start in a week, I have begun re-researching about vax and called the school nurse (annonomously) for info, and now I am freaking out.

School nurse said NY law has changed and Hep-b and chicken pox are now required for kindergarten entry (I think it used to be 6th & 7th grade) They are 2 I didn't want to do but now to give it to a 4 year old?!?:
This a link to NYS vax requirements for school entry: http://www.health.state.ny.us/preven.../docs/2370.pdf

Note that pertussis and tetanus are not required for children born on/before 1/1/05, so you can get a away with a DT shot if you wanted (make sure it's thimerosal free if you did do this one) and only one dose of mumps and rubella is required.

Varicella and Hep B were always required for kindergarten, the "catch up" mandates came later. Last year, they made a requirement that all incoming 6th graders must be vaxed for varicella. A few years ago, they added Hep B for 7th graders.

Also note that they just passed a law requiring a Tdap booster for all incoming 6th graders beginning in 2008.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
If you weren't totally ready before the child came (whichever number you're on) how have you managed to delay or push off until you can get more information to make your decision? Did you start with state statutes, or ask your doctor to provide the mandatory CDC information one appointment prior to the immunization appointment?
First I learned about the diseases I was most inclined to vax for, and then about the vaccines for those diseases.
Quote:
Once you've figured out what/if you'll be giving, or just trying to keep it in place as long as possible before a 'requirement' kicks in (school attendance, legal care provider) are you stringing along on temporary medical exemptions if philisophical exemptions aren't allowed? Or are you finding a way to reconcile your belief system with the need for a claim of religious exemption, if religious exemption isn't "easily" true, internally?
Since I'm going to homeschool, it's not an issue. But, the day is coming (and has arrived in at least one state that I know of) where homeschoolers will have the same rules, and I'll get a religious exemption at that time.

Quote:
Yep. A very cool GP.

Quote:
Absolutely.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 PM

I already knew when I had my last two what I wanted to do. On the occasion where I havent decided on which vax to give, I simply tell them no vaxes that day and go back when I have made up my mind.

I dunno about the second part. Our state allows both philisophical and religous exemptions (ours are seperated though). The only thing is that we are an all or nothing state. So in order to partly vax, you have to fill out the back saying that they havent had any vaccines, even when they have. Its kind of dumb.

My kids ped is great about it. I was afraid to tell her at first, but then I asked a group of local AP moms if they knew of any AP friendly docs in teh area and they mentioned her. She has had no problems delaying or not vaxing. In fact, I couldnt decided which vaccine to get last time and she suggested I just wait. We ended up discussing it in detail and came to a decision together-most docs would just push all the vaccines at the appt, let alone going over them like that with me. I love her! Oh, and I have actually never gotten a negative comment at the childrens hospital either. They all say, well, she isnt in daycare or school, so no worries

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

User Tag List