share your delayed/selective vax schedule here - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 191 Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed that most of the posters have vaxed before 2 years old. We are planning to wait until then to start. I still don't have a definite guideline yet though. Are there any vaxes that we can skip since we are waiting until then? Also what is a good "guidline" to start then?

~Allyson~
Mama to and
#122 of 191 Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM

morning! can someone please post the MA vax requirements. I want to get the kids immunity checked for the MMR vax so that they odn't need it again, hopefully that's the case. MANY THANKS!!!!!!
#123 of 191 Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM

hi - we haven't done any vax's yet and my son is one. i've started over the past couple of weeks doing research (read the entire sears book and took 4 pages of notes, mothering.com) and am considering (very limited!):

** the Hib at 15 months (he would only need this one shot according to the pink book).

**Dtap - conflicted about this one, but there is a DTap HiB combo at 18 months that i might consider instead of the HiB above at 15 months. Not sure how many more DTaps he would have to get though. Not thrilled about the less likely side effects. Does anyone know how many he would have to get if we gave the first DTap at 18 months? Also does anyone know when pertussis isn't as bad for children? I know for adults, it's not that bad.

The rest we are not going to give for now for various reasons:

Pc - Not sure it's worth worrying about seizures, although meningitis is scary as hell. I would consider this one if some convincing evidence were given.

Rotavirus - too late!

Polio - Not going to get polio so I'm not going to put him through another shot.

MMR - Since these are all uncommon and most women are vaccinated for rubella by child bearing age, I don't think it's necessary.

Chicken Pox - Doesn't seem necessary, not a serious disease.

HepA - Probably won't give this one since it's not common in our area. Also Dr. Sears recommends not giving this until at least 2 years old. For some reason even though children under 2 have more seizures from this vax, they've decided to give this twice under 2 and to children who aren't in the high-risk areas. This has been since 2006.

Flu - Not leaning toward this and Dr. Sears says that he feels that the flu's effects on children and babies have been overblown by the media.

I think that's everything. hope this helps.

I'm interested in everyone else's schedule/selection too.
#124 of 191 Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllysonB View Post
I've noticed that most of the posters have vaxed before 2 years old. We are planning to wait until then to start. I still don't have a definite guideline yet though. Are there any vaxes that we can skip since we are waiting until then? Also what is a good "guidline" to start then?
you can probably skip:

* HIB because most cases are before 2 and it's unheard of after 3.

* Pc - most common under 2

* Not sure about DTap but at some point the effects of this are not as bad. I have no clue when though. I would love to know the answer to this myself.

* Rotavirus - i think you can't start this at 2

i think that's it, but i recommend you read the dr. sears vaccine book. very good information and quite balanced.
#125 of 191 Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooMama View Post
Well, I changed my mind again. Now I've gone from 1) Never put any thought into vaxing (as in I'd just do what a doc told me to do), to 2) Not vaxing, to 3) possibly selectively vaxing, and now back to 4) Not vaxing.

Argh I'm a scientist and this isn't the place to debate vax vs no vax, but I wish parenting in general wasn't full of decisions that I really am afraid I'm going to screw up. Who let me be a parent???:
I have also gone back and forth a lot. It just means you're being thoughtful about the decision. I'm always surprised when people just get the vax's without even knowing what they are or what's in them!
#126 of 191 Old 01-31-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgunn View Post
I live in NC and we've decided on this vax schedule. If we follow this schedule, will we need to file religious exemption for public school? Anyone know?

thanks!

All to be be mercury free!

6 months: start Hib
7 months: DtaP started
8 months: second series of Hib
9 months: second series Dtap
10 months: third series Hib
11 months: third series DtaP
18 months: fourth series Hib
20 months: fourth series DtaP
24 months: MMR

Pneumococcal (Prevnar): never

iPV (polio0: never
HI - one of the ones we are considering is Pc at 18 months because only one dose is needed at that age. My son is 1. Can you tell me why you won't get this one? Thanks.
#127 of 191 Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM

---DTaP 1 = 3mos (Daptacel .33mg Al) (Infarix .685 mg Al)
DTaP 2 = 7mos
DTaP 3= 13 mos
DTaP 4 = 19 mos (?)
---Hib (HIBTITTER, Wyeth) 1 = 5 mos (0 Al)
Hib 2 = 9 mos
Hib 3 = 11 mos
Hib 4 = 16 mos
---Prevnar 4mos (.125mg Al)
Prevnar 6mos
Prevnar 8mos
Prevnar 18 mos
---Influenza apprx 8 mos (non-Mercury version)beginning of flu season
---Mumps, age 3
---Rubella age 4
---Varicella series, begin age 6 if not already exposed
---Hep B series, begin appx age 9-11
#128 of 191 Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM

DTaP: 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, and 2 years

Hib: 19 months (only needs one if he's older than 15 months)

IPV(Polio): 17 months, 19 months, 21 months

MMR: Starting at age 3 separate into 3 separate shots; later on, MMR boosters separate from any other boosters only if no titers for immunity

PCV: Probably not getting this one. Newer & low risk if breastfed & no daycare

Varicella: Perhaps when he is older

Hep A: Perhaps when he is older

Hep B: Perhaps when he is older

Rotavirus: Not getting this one
#129 of 191 Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your schedules. Our son is seeing a new ped this week since we have moved. I am REALLY nervous about having the vax conversation (the old ped was fine with no-vax so it was never an issue).

The new ped says that he recommends the schedule but will work with families that do not want to abide by it. After we talked I know he is selective/delayed oriented. I would like to hold off on vax's until DS is 2yrs old and do very limited vax's at that time. You ladies that have waiting that long are giving me hope!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#130 of 191 Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Does anyone know where I can find the vaccine requirements for children in B.C., Canada? I can NOT find it anywhere online!!! Help! My baby boy is 7.5 months and has had no vaccines. I ordered the Dr. Sears book and my dh and I will read it and weigh each vaccine.
#131 of 191 Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 PM

21 months acellular pertussis
24 months dipththeria
27 months tetanus
30 months polio

3 yr Hep B (3 doses: first two 6 mo apart, 3rd given 12 mo after second)

4-5 yr MMR (6 mo apart) (titers)
4-5 yr Varicella (titers)

Pieced together from mercola and other books and people here. Subject to change as we gather more info.
#132 of 191 Old 03-15-2008, 01:57 AM

I have read the recommended/required vaccination schedule for North Carolina, but I can't actually find information that states the minimum requirements to start kindergarten in NC. Can someone please help direct me to this information. My son is 3 months old, and I have not started any vaccinations so far. I want to delay vaccinations for as long as possible.

I would like to be able to find out when I'd need to start vaccinations in order to meet the minimum requirements to enter daycare by the time my son is 3 years old, AND in case I decide not to send him to daycare, when I'd need to start vaccinations in order to meet the minimum requirements to enter school at age 5.
#133 of 191 Old 03-16-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwinston View Post
I would like to be able to find out when I'd need to start vaccinations in order to meet the minimum requirements to enter daycare by the time my son is 3 years old, AND in case I decide not to send him to daycare, when I'd need to start vaccinations in order to meet the minimum requirements to enter school at age 5.
Is it not possible to find out by calling a local school system? I was lucky that in Colorado, all I had to do was check a box for personal exemption, and they ask no more questions for public school's Kindergarten (although I did get a look from the secretary like I was covered in Kooties). I do think that private preschools don't have to have the same opt out.
#134 of 191 Old 03-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Hi,

I am due any day to give birth, and have been reading this forum and have also read Dr. Sears book, but have to admit am slightly overwhelmed when deciding. Ultimately I want to vaccinate, but just really the crucial vaccines that I feel are necessary. We are flying to Arizona when he is approximately 4 mo. old, so I don't know if should start vaccinating him at 2mo. versus 4 mo. Also, I was wondering if I should switch my order around rather than HIB and Prevnar beginning @ 4 mo switching it to 5 mo and vice versa for the DTap. Because we are flying and exposing him to the air on those planes do you think the rotavirus is a necessary vaccine - we were not planning on it, but would like opinions.

Here is his schedule:

HIB & Prevnar: 4 mo, 6, 8, 17
DTap (Daptacel brand): 5 mo, 7, 9, 15, or 18

No varicela shot
MMR questionable maybe much later beginning at 15 mo

Thanks!
#135 of 191 Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Hi JBella, Mama to be!!!
Well, I am no expert and have not had much experience on this thread, but dh is a pilot and dd did have rotavirus at 15 months. Since you are just flying in the country, I personally would not worry about moving your vax schedule up. In regards to the rotavirus, dh did NOT bring it home. It is contracted through direct contact with a surface that has been contaminated with feces (this is as it was explained to me by medical personel). We know when dd got it -- playing on a playground then eating some bunny cookies out of an Easter egg from an Easter egg hunt. We forgot to sanitize her hands because of the playground.

One tip about flying -- bring plenty of antibacterial wipes to wipe down the area in which you are sitting. This should keep baby healthy. If you don't have wipes, use the gel.

As for the rest of your schedule and questions, I'll leave that to the other moms on this site who are better versed in these matters than I. Good luck!!!
#136 of 191 Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 PM

Thank you for the info! I will definitely include a bag of wipes in my bag - I often seem to catch something when I fly for whatever reason, so thanks for the head's up.

After scanning other sites, I am still on the fence with my schedule, so would appreciate any help.

Also if anyone has any tips to naturally induce labor that would be appreciated!! My cervix is completely closed and I have a due date of the 21st. I am visiting my doctor's office on Tuesday - they want to plan a scheduled an induction :
#137 of 191 Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Here is what we are doing...we have only looked into the first couple vaxs`since he is only 3 mo. right now. I figure I will research the others as we go.

2 mo. DTap
3 mo. HIB and Pc
4 mo. DTap
5 mo. HIB and Pc
6 mo. DTap

Rota-
We were going to do Rota because my younger brother actually had it as a baby and was hopspitalized for 2 weeks...really sick, so we were happy that there is now a vax for it, but in the past couple of months our ped had a couple of babies have really bad reactions to it so he advised us at our 2 mo. appointment not to do it (said he would if we insisted, but he had stopped giving it to all babies and was just finishing up the series with the ones he'd already started it with. So we opted not to do it.

Hep B and Polio-
We will probably do, but at a later date

MMR-
Looking into splitting this one up and delaying it

Chicken Pox-
Not doing this one

Like I said, it is a work in progress...

We have done the one DTap last month and it went fine. He didn't have any reaction at all. We go in this friday for the first HIB and Pc.
#138 of 191 Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 AM

Here is the schedule for DS, DD was vax on schedule since i didnt do my readings but she didnt get all her 1 year shot and reacted badly for prevnar.

Hib - 6,8 & 10 months

DTaP - 12,14,16 months

M.Conjugate - 13 months

Prevnar - 17, 19 & 21 months.

we are delaying MMR till age 4, not giving CP,flu shot & Hep B. no rotateq here as i am in Canada.
#139 of 191 Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM

4 mo - HiB
6,8,10 mo - Pentacel (DTaP, Hib)
7,9,11 mo - Prevnar

We will likely delay MMR indefinitely and don't plan to give CP or HepB.
#140 of 191 Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 AM

My daughter is 15 months and received her vaccinations on schedule starting at 8 weeks...so she has had 2 series, or is it 3 I cannot remember...anyway, my husband and were VERY uncomfortable with the amount of shots she was getting at once and how sick she felt- soooo she has not had vaccines since 9 months- she was due for another series a couple of months ago. We spoke to our ped. who we love- about delaying vaccines until at least age 3-4 and in the meantime we would research to see exactly what or if we wanted her to have anymore vaccines. Unfortunately he said that the only option he could give us was spacing the vaccines, but no delaying or choosing. I have felt so unsettled with this and so I have not scheduled her appointment. I have spent many nights lying awake worried about my choices. Basically I would love to hear from other moms about what they decided. What are some vaccine plans starting at her age and why. Any and all advice is welcome- and much appreciated!!!!!
:::
#141 of 191 Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM

i am following dr sear's selective schedule
#142 of 191 Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Ds has had:

4 months- DTaP and Hib
12 months- DTap and Hib
15 months- Prevnar

(I will do another Prevnar at 18 months)

My dd is three, I still have not done the MMR for her, but would have at her three year visit except she was in the midst of a bad viral infection. So we'll wait until she is really healthy. I talked to the ped (who is a very cool guy) and he said that awhile back there was a shortage of Prevnar, so the drug company said children could have just two doses and that would provide 90% immunity....then of course the shortage ended and immediately four shots were required again. So I feel pretty good about getting the two shots, and then on the required ones, getting a booster before school.
#143 of 191 Old 05-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmancv View Post
i am following dr sear's selective schedule

Does anyone have Dr. Sears' schedule handy? (If it's already posted in this thread, I apologize. I did a search and it didn't come up...) TIA! I'm on line to get the book from our library, but it's on order, so I have to wait.
#144 of 191 Old 05-26-2008, 04:25 AM

does anybody know the school requirements for NY State?
#145 of 191 Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 AM

I am still trying to figure out what to do for dd#3 and have an appt on Friday! Have the sears book, but feel really confused about Dtap and the side effects as well as the effectiveness....

was going to do the sears schedule, but now we will leave in two weeks and be away for 12 weeks (meaning no vax during that time) so any thoughts on whether we should do dtap before we leave, or just wait and start all in Oct?

also, I am sure I will not do rotovirus and dr was fine with that so taking that out of the sears schedule 2 mo would just be dtap
#146 of 191 Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM

I just put this together for DD3.
What do y'all think????

6 months - DTaP (1)
6 months - Hib (1)

9 months - DTaP (2)
9 months - Hib (2)

12 months - PCV (Prevnar) - (1)

15 months - Hib (3)
15 months - DTaP (3)

18 months - MMR (1)

24 months - PCV (Prevnar) - (2)
24 months - Hib (4)

4 years - DTaP (4)
4 years 1 month - MMR (2)
#147 of 191 Old 06-18-2008, 03:47 PM

I put this together for my ds I only want to get him the shots required by the state to get into school otherwise he is not getting shots just because they are out there.

I made that mistake with my dd2 I got her the stupid ear infection shot and this poor child had chronic ear infections.

Well anyways this is what I put together if anybody out their knows NY state requirements for school entry please let me know if this looks ok according to their schedule.

Any help that anyone can provide would be great. Another ? how do you other mothers handle it when explaining or telling the dr what shots you want your child to have and not to have. I would like it to be pleasant I don't want to make the dr angry.

*3 months---------- Dtap & Polio
*6 months---------- Heb B & Polio
*9 months----------DTaP & Polio
*12 months----------HepB & DTap
*15 months----------HepB, Hip & PCV
*24 months----------MMR & PCV
*60 months ---------MMR & Varicella
#148 of 191 Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM

ok. so I am totally confused. I have 2girls that have been vaxed according to docs recommendations and now my son is 13wks and we are going to a shot appt tommorow--I want to delay his shot schedule but am alittle overwhelmed on all that I have just read. He has already had a hepB in hospital so far. So help! Were do I start?
#149 of 191 Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM

I am trying to follow Dr. Sears alternate vaccine schedule, but I don't know how to obtain the mmr separately. Needless to say, my pediatrician isn't being helpful. He said he would administer it separately, but that I would have to figure out how to obtain it on my own. I live in S. Florida. I am desperately seeking some help on this. Thank you.
#150 of 191 Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My doctor said they stock it. weird.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page