DTaP Manufacturer - which is best? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone has information on a manufacturer (least adverse incidences - whether anecdotal or statistical) that is least likely to cause problems, I'd love your advice. It would be our first vax tomorrow afternoon (at 9 months) and thus far, Pertussis is the only disease I'm very concerned about heading into the school year (older daughter attends school with questionably healthy
! middle schoolers, who we will be around daily), although we'll be getting the rest, starting at 12 months. If anyone has info on a pertussis-only vax, that would be interesting too, although it appears from the previous page that that's a dead-end inquiry.

I should add that I am so. not. interested. in debating vaccination. I'm very thankful for this new forum.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 02:03 AM

There is no pertussis only vaccine available in the US.

-Angela
#3 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
If anyone has information on a manufacturer (least adverse incidences - whether anecdotal or statistical) that is least likely to cause problems, I'd love your advice.
Your ped's office will likely carry only one brand of DTaP, so your child would get whatever the office stocks.
#4 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

My ped's office would also be more than willing to order a brand that I wanted.
#5 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 AM

That's really neat, Flying! I don't know the answer to your question but someone with solid research will pop up here eventually!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#6 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 PM

Your ped can order anything..but there is no pertussis only vax available to the U.S.A.
Period.
#7 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, got that. I was responding to LongIsland. No P only. I meant my doc will order whatever brand of DTaP I would like.

Is there a brand of DTaP that is associated with more problems? Less problems? Are they all about the same?
#8 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would suggest looking at the vaccine inserts online. Look at the ingredients of all of them and then decide. There is lots of info in those little inserts. You may see something that stands out, you may not.

Call your ped's office first and ask which one they give, and look up that one's ingredients online. Good place to start.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM

Daptacel (Aventis Pasteur Laboratories)

Infarix (Glaxo-Smith Kline)

Tripedia (Sanofi Pasteur)

Pediarix (SKB Biologicals)

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#10 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM

Certiva & Acel-Immune aren't around anymore.
#11 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks, am - I'll edit. That info came from the FDA - no wonder it's inaccurate.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#12 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 04:00 PM

MIne uses infanrix. I looked at the inserts at one point and the only one I think I didn't want was daptacel. Don't remember why. I think infanrix was one of the best but I can't swear by it.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#13 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangosink0
MIne uses infanrix. I looked at the inserts at one point and the only one I think I didn't want was daptacel. Don't remember why. I think infanrix was one of the best but I can't swear by it.
Thank you.
#14 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
I meant my doc will order whatever brand of DTaP I would like.
That's cool - not all peds would do something like that.

I would find out from your ped which brands they have used in the past and what they currently use and why. There has to be a reason why he uses the brand he's currently using, YKWIM? He may think "they're all the same," but may like one over the other for some reason and that may help with your decision.
#15 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, and I see boongirl's post from the other thread that says daptacel never had thimerosol.

It doesn't matter anyhow - today he woke up with a stuffy nose so we'll be waiting a biiiit longer. All the better to research more, and find out more!
#16 of 22 Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 PM

We had Pediarix. That one is 5 vaxes in one - DTaP, polio, and Hep B. So if you really only want pertussis to begin with, you probably don't want that one.

The only possible point in favor of Pediarix is that IF you intend to eventually vax for all 5 diseases, there might be something to be said for doing it all at once, because then you've only got one set of all the freak-out additives (i.e. aluminum) per dose rather than an additional set of additives for each separate shot of IPV, etc. With that said, if you look at Pediarix's published info, they do admit that studies show that babies who get Pediarix have a higher fever risk. My DD had a low-grade fever the first Pediarix shot, and tiny lumps for the second two.
#17 of 22 Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 PM

This probably isn't very helpful for you, but I asked my ped about this and she said that they're all fully interchangeable, and that their office uses whatever happens to be supplied to them by the state (WA here) at the time; they never know in advance what brand they're going to have.
Of course, I'm learning that there are ZERO data out there on whether or not they're actually interchangeable, but apparently according to peds, none of the DTaPs is any better (any worse?) than the others.
#18 of 22 Old 09-01-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynMama
The only possible point in favor of Pediarix is that IF you intend to eventually vax for all 5 diseases, there might be something to be said for doing it all at once, because then you've only got one set of all the freak-out additives (i.e. aluminum) per dose rather than an additional set of additives for each separate shot of IPV, etc. With that said, if you look at Pediarix's published info, they do admit that studies show that babies who get Pediarix have a higher fever risk. My DD had a low-grade fever the first Pediarix shot, and tiny lumps for the second two.
I don't think this is good advice, Its best to go for single shots if at all possible, and of course if you want pertusis you'll need to do a DTaP only. The problem with combo vaxes, is if there is a severe reaction (and yes high fevers can be that) then you can't pinpoint the exact vax to know to avoid it next time. If you do only the hep B and they react, you know not to ever do hep B again.....if you do the combo, you don't know if it was pertussis, hep b or all of them they reacted to.
#19 of 22 Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 PM

:
#20 of 22 Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is Pediarix the one with the astronomical adverse event rate?
There was a thread around here a while back about that one, I think. It was something unreal like 75% reporting reactions.
Anyone remember that thread?
#21 of 22 Old 09-06-2006, 07:49 PM

You're right, kids are more likely to have fever & site reactions (though fewer sites of course) after Pediarix. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere but that info is actually on the insert.
#22 of 22 Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Eh. Don't do it on my behalf - we aren't interested in doing the Hep B shot until much, much, much later, so a combo would be unattractive to us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page