Flu vaccination?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Selective & Delayed Vaccination > Flu vaccination??
cynotgirl's Avatar cynotgirl 07:16 PM 10-23-2006
My whole issue is the point of injecting a virus that's been altered, along with many many harmful compenents into my child's - or my - body to try and prevent a disease that is not only not fatal in most cases, but will in the end allow my baby's - or my - body to become better able to fight infection....

I JUST DON'T GET IT. It's the FLU!!!!! We all get sick!!!!

Preventing the spread of the virus, in my opinion, is somewhat dangerous, as it will become resistant and more likely to have harmful affects on humans and animals alike.

I get the idea of being "inconvienced" by having to stay home with your sick kid. But I have to admit... I think that's being entirely selfish.

We are happy to not mess with our bodies, which, as I see it, were perfectly designed to fight off a large number of invaders, including a flu virus.....

mamakay's Avatar mamakay 08:16 PM 10-23-2006
Quote:
Preventing the spread of the virus, in my opinion, is somewhat dangerous, as it will become resistant and more likely to have harmful affects on humans and animals alike.
Luckily, you really don't have to worry about something like that happening with the flu shot.
Dido's Avatar Dido 08:47 PM 10-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
The reduction to 6 million was made in a statement from a Sanofi representative.
Right, which is quoted IN the Safe Minds press release; I couldn't find independent confirmation on the Sanofi website, for example. Look, I'm not saying it's wrong. I am totally willing to give Safe Minds the benefit of the doubt, as I stated in my post above. Having read Evidence of Harm, I know the group has access to certain information sources ahead of the general public. All I said was I could not find the info anywhere else and the CDC continues to give the higher number.

Long Island, it's beginning to feel like you are only posting to quibble. Which is too bad, because it would have been great to get your thoughts on the contradictory information from the CDC that I have twice pointed out.
LongIsland's Avatar LongIsland 09:45 PM 10-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynMama View Post
Long Island, it's beginning to feel like you are only posting to quibble. Which is too bad, because it would have been great to get your thoughts on the contradictory information from the CDC that I have twice pointed out.
I'm not posting to quibble.

As far as the contradictory information - it could very well be an omission on the chart and Chiron has indeed produced TF formulations for this season. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out for sure.
Dido's Avatar Dido 10:11 PM 10-23-2006
Quote:
I'm not posting to quibble.

As far as the contradictory information - it could very well be an omission on the chart and Chiron has indeed produced TF formulations for this season. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out for sure.
It would be so good of you to call. Please let us all know what you find out. Thanks!
LongIsland's Avatar LongIsland 12:35 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
It would be so good of you to call. Please let us all know what you find out. Thanks!
I just spoke with Janice at Novartis (510 923-6500) and she confirmed that Fluvirin has only been manufactured in full strength, thimerosal-containing multi-dose formulations.
Dido's Avatar Dido 01:45 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
I just spoke with Janice at Novartis (510 923-6500) and she confirmed that Fluvirin has only been manufactured in full strength, thimerosal-containing multi-dose formulations.
Dang. Why the heck is the CDC claiming that Novartis is manufacturing a TF dose then? They say this in more than one place, too. Thanks for calling them - glad I have more info even though it's not good news.
lisalou's Avatar lisalou 01:56 PM 10-24-2006
I have asthma so I do get the flu shot every year. If even the common cold settles in my chest, I can end up in the hospital. I have yet to have any bad reaction to the shot or get the flu.

My dd is not immune compromised so she doesn't get the shot and neither does dh since he's not compromised either even though he works in a school.

I think it has it's uses, personally. I know they recommend vaccinating children b/c a study done showed flu rates went down significantly for older people when children were vaccinated. Has to do with transmission. Of course I can't find it now probably mainly b/c the research as a result disproved the need for senior citizens to get the flu shot. ie senior citizens in general practice good hygiene so transmission of flu is lower. Small children don't follow good hygiene practices therefore transmission is higher. So either vaccinate children or improve childresn's hygiene practices. We go with the latter esp when grandparents come to visit.
mamakay's Avatar mamakay 01:58 PM 10-24-2006
The CDC probably thought it was true at the time.
They don't really update their info the way you would expect. In their "pertussis info for parents" page, they still say the prevax era had many more cases of pertussis than now...more that 100,000 a year.
But on another page, they say we now have more than 600,000 cases a year now.

I don't mean to sound conspiritorial, but they seem to selectively update information only when it makes vaccines look good. If not, then no update.
amnesiac's Avatar amnesiac 02:34 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
Dang. Why the heck is the CDC claiming that Novartis is manufacturing a TF dose then? They say this in more than one place, too. Thanks for calling them - glad I have more info even though it's not good news.
Because they have made it previously & they can make it if it's in demand. They start taking orders early in the year & if there isn't enough demand they won't bother, KWIM? I was really disappointed too - I thought my office was getting some TF Fluvirin but it's all multidose. Actually we always use the TF Sanofi for kids unless parents insist on the other (if they don't qualify for VFC) & we are required to explain the difference between the 2 beforehand to make sure they understand.
LongIsland's Avatar LongIsland 02:38 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Because they have made it previously & they can make it if it's in demand.

And because the CDC and AAP REFUSE to state a preference for thimerosal free influenza vaccine, there will be no demand for it.
LongIsland's Avatar LongIsland 08:37 PM 10-25-2006
I just wanted to add that I received an email letter just now from Novartis confirming in writing:

"Novartis is not supplying preservative-free prefilled syringes to the market this season."
greenkids's Avatar greenkids 07:03 PM 10-29-2006
Everyone I know that has gotten a flu shot has gotten sick. Some will argue "you don't get AS sick as you would have without it". Guess you wouldn't know. The shot also does not cover every strain of flu, so you could get one & then catch a differant kind of flu.

Side note here: My DH took my 18mo DD to her last apointment, they convinced him to give her the shot (don't get me started, I was very angry at him, he feels horrible now). She got sick that evening & has been since, very runny nose, I even think she has an earache now (not that the shot gave him the earache). That was 12 days ago.

Just my thoughts here, you're the mamma, you do what you think is best for your family.

Good luck!
1  2  3

Up