I need help figuring out what dd needs at this age... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After fully vaxing dd1 on schedule, I wisened up and delayed dd2's until I had done more research. She is now 34 months old. At last month's appt, I discussed my concerns with the dr and was pretty much told that she needed: DTaP, HPV, IPV, MMRV and Pneumococcal that day.

We switched pediatricians and I will be discussing a new schedule with him at the next appt. I will also discuss delaying the new baby's shots but I'm still not sure how long I want to delay.

I really need help deciding what dd2 needs and doesn't need at her age as well as how often she should be receiving them. I know that I would like to only get one vaccine at a time, but won't this mean many trips to the dr?

TIA!
#2 of 5 Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since MN is one of the great states that have philosophical exemptions, I would just wait and research each disease individually and then decide which ones to do from there. HPV at 34 months seems nuts to me, aren't they waiting until teen visits for that? I would decline that in any case. MMRV would not be one I would consider, since natural infection from those is not scary at all, and offer lifelong immunity.
You could do IPV, I guess, if you are worried about polio, but there has not been a wild polio case in the US in over 40 years.

At nearly 3 years old, she is not in the "scary" stage for Pertussis, so I don't think I would bother with that one, either. Just my 0.02.

For the baby, I would advise waiting until he is at least 6 months old to start anything, unless he is not BFed or he is in daycare. In the meantime, you can do a lot of research on the diseases and the vaccines. Let me know if you want some referrals to good books on this subject. It can be daunting at first to do the research. I'm still learning after 10 months!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 5 Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM

If you read both the insert & ACIP recommendations, you'll notice that the HPV vaccine isn't indicated for girls under 9 years of age.
http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...ardasil_pi.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/provisional_recs/hpv.pdf

So did you end up getting those vaccines you listed for dd2 that day or has she still not had anything yet? Without really knowing what your concerns are it's sort of hard to offer much help. But yes, if you do decide to get them one at a time then it will mean lots of trips to the doc's office. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll see the doc every time though - some have you just schedule a shot visit with the nurse so you'd just have to ask how that practice would handle it.
#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry - I was distracted while writing the OP.

We did do DTaP (regretting the Pertussis part) and IPV. I held off on MMRV because I think I want to break that up IF I do that at all. I also declined HPV because I see no reason for her to have that now.

My concern is mainly that they wanted her to have so much at once and I am not comfortable with that. I would prefer not to make 1,000 trips to the clinic, but I also don't want her getting 12+ vaccines at a time. I'm wondering if there is anything I can eliminate because of her age (like Pertussis - wish I'd skipped that). I'd also like recommendations on how much I can spread out each shot. The dr seemed to think having them all done this winter was acceptable. I do not plan to do that.

The baby is breastfed (exclusively). He is not in daycare and is only around family. But the girls are both in preschool and have already brought home colds in the first 2 weeks, so he will be exposed to illnesses through them (although I'm not terribly worried about that). So far the plan is to start selectively vaxing him around 2.
#5 of 5 Old 10-03-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

mom0810 - I would love book recommendations. I have Aviva Romm's book, but would like more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page