Breaking Up The MMR Need Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a compromise with my DH, though I am adamantly against most, if not all vax'es, we are on a delayed vax schedule with our twins. Thankfully, the ped though mainstream on the schedule, has been very accomodating and thoughtful w/o too much of the scare tactics.

They are breaking up the MMR for us and they have already has their first measles shot about 3 months ago and need to give another shot in order for them to be able to stay in daycare (stupid State mandate and we cannot find any others that we can afford).

So the question is, which one next? Mumps or Rubella? And how long to wait before we get the third one? They are two years old, and reactions have been iffy...some no problem...other just down right miserable...

Any input would be great!

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#2 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeanj View Post
As a compromise with my DH, though I am adamantly against most, if not all vax'es, we are on a delayed vax schedule with our twins.
Just a word to the delayed vaxers reading this thread - if you want to remain on your own delayed schedule, I strongly suggest submitting an exemption in order avoid the rigidity of state immunization requirements.

An exemption can be submitted and you can vax whenever you want.
#3 of 14 Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
Just a word to the delayed vaxers reading this thread - if you want to remain on your own delayed schedule, I strongly suggest submitting an exemption in order avoid the rigidity of state immunization requirements.

An exemption can be submitted and you can vax whenever you want.

Is this a possibility for you at this point, medeanj?
#4 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 04:04 PM

:
#5 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

State law is for religious exemption only. Is there someplace where I could find some good wording?

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#6 of 14 Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What state are you in?
#7 of 14 Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Have you seen if a blood titer can be drawn to prove that the first measles vax worked? Most people getting immunity for 10-11 years after the first measels vax. They only require a second vax to catch to small percentage that don't get protection from the first vax. A titer will prove if your child has immunity. Kamie

Mommy to DS (12-05) DD (9-10) wife to DH :
(2/05, 6/06, 6/08, 9/08 ) Due 5/11
#8 of 14 Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 AM

dr sears recommends having measles, mumps and rubella in that order with a year in between each if you're doing a delayed schedule. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T085200.asp

(i'm still undecided about what we'll be doing on this vax, I just happened to come across this website in my research, hope it helps!)
#9 of 14 Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 AM

We've only done measles and I would probably do mumps next because rubella isn't an illness that would cause harm to your child, only to pg women.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#10 of 14 Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

interesting read (the dr sears site). I don't think I agree with him that most vaccines are very safe and effective. he seems to really downplay the side effects and negative consequences, and recommends the super-duper-combo vaxes to minimize the # of shots.

I am pondering over the m-m-and r decision. seeing how rare the diseases are, I am thinking of putting it off till age 2, and even then it doesn't seem like these diseases are that crucial to be vaxed against. it seems like rubella would be the one most important, not measles or mumps.
#11 of 14 Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM

Hi,

I'm from Connecticut and looking ahead to obtaining separate vaccines for the MMR. I've been unsuccessful, and so has a friend of mine in finding this anywhere. My ped says it's up to me to find them. Any tips?

Also, does anyone know if there's such a thing as a personal exemption from vaccines that is accepted in daycare in Connecticut? I'm not sure where to look for this...

Thanks for any help given!
#12 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM

Hi - I'm also from Connecticut and my pediatrician will not offer the MMR individually. When I asked if they knew where I could get it, there response was very uncooperative.

When looking online all I could find is how proud Connecticut seems to be about having such a high vaccination rate of their children.

I want my son to be safe and I am willing to vaccinate but not all at once. This is very frustrating. If anyone has suggestions please help.
#13 of 14 Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 PM

How I would like to divide it up is Mumps at puberty for boys, Rubella at puberty for girls, Measles at adulthood and maybe Rubella for boys at adulthood for herd immunity reasons, depending on how they seem to react to vaxes. But I don't know that that relates to your question. My schedule is based on risk of disease not risk of side effects.
#14 of 14 Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM

I am also from Connecticut. Our second baby is due next month and I would like to break up the MMR. My dd is fully vaxed and I didn't think anything of it at the time. My friend (also in CT) has her MMR broken up and her pediatrician doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I need to ask our pediatrician when we start taking the new baby in for appointments and see what he has to say. They have been wonderful and not demanding about anything, so I hope they can do this for us. I really do not want to switch doctors.

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page