OK, so what do I need to know? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 44 Old 12-21-2006, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post

And parents lap up the hypothetical scenerios much to the CDC's delight.

The blood transfusion, the bite at daycare, the needle in the darkened movie theatre, the shopping cart . . .
And if actual statistics to fearmonger with even existed, my god, we'd know them by heart. But they don't even exist!

Who is it...exactly...who'd deciding what a "valid" reason is here? Is "recognizable" meaning "at some point in history it's bound to happen somewhere"?
Who are these people making these decisions and working out these deals?
The same people saying HepB demyelination doesn't exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
And if actual statistics to fearmonger with even existed, my god, we'd know them by heart. But they don't even exist!
B
I
N
G
O
!

But Junior NEEDS that shot before he leaves the hospital.
#33 of 44 Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 PM

And look at how the HepB vax is "sold" to pediatricians:
(I found this by going on the AAP site, clicking on the "for doctors" section, and then choosing the vaccine/disease -- risk/benefit chart.

http://www.cispimmunize.org/ill/ill_main.html
The only thing they list as a possible reaction is an extremely rare yeast allergy.
WTH?
#34 of 44 Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
And I do. As well as you should keep your child isolated if they have a VPD.
why would you need to isolate your child when they have a vpd if everyone else is vaccinated?

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#35 of 44 Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI
And parents lap up the hypothetical scenerios, much to the CDC's delight.
I just have to say one more thing.
I would imagine that the provaxers are thinking "If this wasn't a real risk, my ped would NOT have recommended this vaccine, or explained it to me in this way."

But what your ped is thinking is "If this wasn't a real risk, the AAP and the CDC wouldn't recommend it."

Let's nevermind the AAP for a second. That's complicated. Let's just look at the CDC.

Imagine you're a decision maker at the CDC. You care about children. All children. You want to save lives. You believe in vaccines.
And imagine this notion is proposed to you.
Mandate this vax in the US.
It will result in millions of lives being saved all over the world.
Millions of lives.
Do you do it?
If you say no, then the blood of millions of lives is on your hands.
You could have saved those babies in China, but you chose not to.
And who knows? Maybe every once in a while a child in the US does get infected with Hep b in one of these weird, generally unlikely ways. Nobody knows how often it happens, but the theory sounds plausible enough.
Do you want that death on your hands, too?
What do you do?

Now...there's a nasty rumor floating around that the HepB vax sometimes causes MS. But the manufacturer says it's not true.
And running a loose risk/benefit analysis in your head, even if it does happen, it's rare. It's nothing compared to the millions of lives in China.

What do you do?
#36 of 44 Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 PM

Well, OP, since you didn't really ask for a Hep B discussion I"ll just bypass that side discussion except to say: if you do decide on it, I'd personally suggest delaying the birthdose. Even the CDC says in it's 1 page vaccine schedule that newborns of hepB negative moms can skip that one (in rare cases they say, without specifying when--A cover your butt statement IMO).

With regards to the others, I think Angela's approach is great--research both the disease and the vax. the CDC has published the reported occurences of these diseases by year as well as state. Plus research how dangerous these diseases really are. Keep in mind the historical context--we were raised without chickenpox vaxxing and didn't live in fear. WHy should we fear the disease today? The same discussion that is going on now about HPV and the new Gardasil vax (i.e. why vax against an STD?) was done about HepB. The cycle continues. Soon Gardasil will be required and we'll see that the discussions will eventually end and people will forget that there was ever a problem in the first place! History is doomed to repeat when people don't look at what has passed.

Consider if you will be doing any international travel and if so, when and where.

Remember that getting one of the VPD's is a possibility, but when you inject a vax into your child, it is an absolute that you have put in him/her certain things that you cannot take out. Make sure you know what these things are and ask yourself if you are comfortable accepting the risk of doing so.

Ok sorry for the ramble...it's a hard decision. I ended up making some decisions/compromises (i.e. because of my husband's views) and I'm still not sure about what's right for my child. I wish it could be an easier decision.
#37 of 44 Old 12-23-2006, 01:19 AM

Even my dd's ped. pointed out how silly Hep B. By the time your baby is likely to be at risk--as a teenager or adult--the vax isn't even going to work.
Of course, this is the same practice where an old dr.--since retired--literally went into the NICU room where they were about to give my daughter the Hep B vax, chased the nurse out of the room waving his arms and yelling, "The baby doesn't need that!!!!"(I was in a NICU haze--why I didn't say it in time myself.)

:Mama to 2 :
#38 of 44 Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80 View Post
And I do. As well as you should keep your child isolated if they have a VPD.

live virus vacines stay in your system for about 6 months, thats a long isolation
#39 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Okay,

While I can't find any evidence of it anywhere, my coworker swears up and down that you can get Hep B from places like dirty dentists, nail clippers etc. And her mom has it, so you can see why I'm listening.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#40 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Okay,

While I can't find any evidence of it anywhere, my coworker swears up and down that you can get Hep B from places like dirty dentists, nail clippers etc. And her mom has it, so you can see why I'm listening.

Has anyone else heard about this?
In theory that's true, but documented cases of it actually happening are very, very rare.
#41 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
You could probably find much more likely things to worry about. Automobile accidents. Lightning strikes. Medical mistakes.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...)
#42 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
You could probably find much more likely things to worry about. Automobile accidents. Lightning strikes. Medical mistakes.
Lol..or as LI put it, "Getting hit by a blue car wearing a red poka-dot shirt".
(or something to that effect).
#43 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Darn it Mamakay! I wasn't joking. None of that stuff is funny. But all of them are a lot more likely than catching Hep B from a dirty countertop.

People do come up with weird justifications for getting their jabs, don't they?

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...)
#44 of 44 Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Darn it Mamakay! I wasn't joking. None of that stuff is funny. But all of them are a lot more likely than catching Hep B from a dirty countertop.

People do come up with weird justifications for getting their jabs, don't they?
I know it's unfunny in a way...it's just so...ridiculous sometimes to notice how we pick and choose what we're afraid of.
It's the absurdity that's funny.

Or maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.

I just think it's so bizarre how socially marketing something as preventable somehow makes it a real threat.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page