Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still have not done them
#32 of 40 Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM

are you breastfeeding? have a cool article on hib and breastfeeding. not too common in breastfed babies.
#33 of 40 Old 04-13-2007, 06:29 PM

I just want you to know that you are not alone, and your anxiety does not mean you have any kind of anxiety disorder or problem. The decision not to vaccinate is a huge one to wrap one's head around; there are so many unknowns and so much to learn that's different from the normal way you've probably been accustomed to thinking about disease and health all your life. The shift in paradigm it requires is not going to just happen naturally overnight. I'm dealing with some of this myself, so I just want to encourage you to hang in there and keep examining your fears and anxieties and see if it's something you can live with or if you'd rather not. Either way, I for one would never roll my eyes at you.

Like Plummeting said:

Quote:
It did take a while to get to that point, though. Some of us are natural worriers.
#34 of 40 Old 04-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkinMama View Post
It seems like either way there's a chance my child could either have a reaction to the vax or get a disease if I don't vax. What if I don't vax and then he gets sick? I will blame myself. What if I do vax and he has a reaction? Then I will blame myself. It seems like a no win situation and I wish I could be as committed to one side of this issue as I am on most things, I really envy the people who have made up their mind because I'm having a hard time.
I feel the exact same way.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#35 of 40 Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I didn't listen to any of the experts- I researched the numbers.

I would have a hard time forgiving myself if my child was damaged by something I chose to inject into her.

If she got sick- that's just part of life- everyone gets sick.

-Angela
That's true about the injection part, and yes getting sick is a part of life, but what if someone like my 5 month old DS got pertussis? (which is a disease I'm afraid of) From what I've read, that is extremely serious for a child that young. I really don't think I could handle that (I was a wreck when DS had an upper resporatory infection and he was miserable), and wouldn't that be one of those situations where you would say, "if only we would've vaccinated....." I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking your opinion? My DS is vaccinated for nothing, we are doing selective and delaying, but I am always worried about germs as well......it must be nice to be so confident about this. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, when DS is a little older.

Aquafina---I know how you feel. :

#36 of 40 Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Mommy*J View Post
That's true about the injection part, and yes getting sick is a part of life, but what if someone like my 5 month old DS got pertussis? (which is a disease I'm afraid of) From what I've read, that is extremely serious for a child that young.

My 5-month-old did get pertussis. It was really not a big deal. I promise. She didn't need medication. She didn't need to be hospitalized. She just wasn't sick. She had bad coughing spells about 10 times a day, but she never turned blue and she was always fine literally the second they were over with. I know two other infants who got it who also weren't very sick. One was only 6 weeks old at the time. Neither of them required treatment, either. Pertussis can be serious in an infant, but complications are still not really common - not extremely rare, but not exactly common, either.
#37 of 40 Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
She had bad coughing spells about 10 times a day, but she never turned blue and she was always fine literally the second they were over with. I know two other infants who got it who also weren't very sick.
According to the CDC:

Among infants aged <6 months . . . a cough with whoop or with paroxysms may be absent.
#38 of 40 Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 PM

This is a great discussion on this thread. : I am going to follow up on some of the links.
I have always felt "damned if you do, damned if you don't" about the vaccination issue, like some pp's stated.
I happen to have a career where I work with children with autism, so I am very close to folks who are very regretful that they had vaccinated their babies. Even still, I am fearful to totally not vaccinate.:
#39 of 40 Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Mommy*J View Post
That's true about the injection part, and yes getting sick is a part of life, but what if someone like my 5 month old DS got pertussis? (which is a disease I'm afraid of)
5 month olds are at risk for pertussis vaccinated or not. The efficacy of the vaccine is so low that the two doses they'd have by 5 months are not really worth much at all...

-Angela
#40 of 40 Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the info Angela, and actually I was talking with our family doc today (who himself is anti-vax but respects his client's decisions) and he answered many of my questions about the diseases and vaccines. I feel much more informed now(even though I still have research to do), and I'm feeling much less worried about the diseases, even pertussis, because he told me what you just did---the vaccine isn't very effective at all.

If I decide to vax DS for anything, it won't be for another couple of years.

Now, even though I'm feeling more confident with my decision, I might still have questions that I'll think of in the future, because I constantly have my mom and dad telling me DS will die if he gets the some of the diseases he's "supposed" to be vaxed for. : The funny thing is, they don't even know for sure if he's vaxed or not, because I tell them (nicely) my son's vaccination schedule isn't up for discussion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page