Help reading the MMWR - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the end has disease statistics and I have seen them.. However, I'm not good with charts and I don't understand the last chart that is a bar graph with dark blue bars (the top of the chart says decrease and increase). Does that mean if the bar is going to the right of the middle line, that the disease is increasing and if it stays to the left of the midline then it's decreasing?

Sorry for my ignorance: .. any helpful tips to read it are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

T&D2005, Why don't you post the link for the issue you are viewing, it would be more helpful to decipher. You are not ignorant, these aren't the easiest statistics to understand.

SM
#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

You have to download the MMWR and it's at the very end (basically the last page of information before the credits are written)

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/mmwr_wk.html
#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Does that mean if the bar is going to the right of the middle line, that the disease is increasing and if it stays to the left of the midline then it's decreasing?
That's correct. An increase or decrease on the weekly chart tells you what it's doing this month (the past 4 weeks) compared to the average over the last 5 years.

But you have to know what the rate of misdiagnosis has been over the last 5 years to know if what you're seeing is an actual real increase or decrease, or if it's just the "new thing" to test for that disease and diagnose it.

For example, for a couple of years that chart looked like pertussis was making some kind of big comeback...that chart made it look like it had suddenly surged through the roof. But really, the CDC just told doctors to start testing for pertussis, where in years past they assumed pertussis was virtually eradicated, and would just diagnose people with pertussis as having "asthma" or "atypical bronchitis".
The same thing happened with mumps.
So you have to cross reference a lot of stuff and put it all in perspective to see if what's being reported is reliable and real.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page