How do you SELECT which ones to give? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those moms who select certain vaxes but refuse the others: How do you decide? Did you decide according to what disease seems to you the most dangerous?
#2 of 17 Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Research each disease and each vaccine and try to balance benefit and risk.

-Angela
#3 of 17 Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Research each disease and each vaccine and try to balance benefit and risk.

-Angela
Yep. Some people end up selecting several vaccines, some end up selecting none. Some decide to just do a couple around the teen years.

There are some vaccines (like HepA) that most people cross off the list pretty easily. (the disease just isn't severe enough in kids).
But some vaccines sound like a good idea until you hear the argument against the vax. (like prevnar/PCV).
Or, you might not find the argument against the vax that compelling.
#4 of 17 Old 07-01-2007, 04:44 PM

If you can find a really good doctor who doesn't force vax issues, it can really help. Our pediatrician, for example, has so far recommended only getting tetanus shots because we live on a farm with some old rusty barbed wire around the woods and 2 bacterial infections that he said he had actually witnessed occur in children and that could cause meningitis. Everything else he's said we can hold off on until our ds goes to school (unless we homeschool). He's been really honest with us about the low risk our son stands of contracting anything like polio, measles, etc., and it really gives me greater peace of mind to have someone experienced in this stuff to give input, rather than just figuring out risks on my own.
#5 of 17 Old 07-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughinWillow View Post
If you can find a really good doctor who doesn't force vax issues, it can really help. Our pediatrician, for example, has so far recommended only getting tetanus shots because we live on a farm with some old rusty barbed wire around the woods and 2 bacterial infections that he said he had actually witnessed occur in children and that could cause meningitis. Everything else he's said we can hold off on until our ds goes to school (unless we homeschool). He's been really honest with us about the low risk our son stands of contracting anything like polio, measles, etc., and it really gives me greater peace of mind to have someone experienced in this stuff to give input, rather than just figuring out risks on my own.
I'm glad you feel your dr. is supportive. Did he explain how exemptions work in your state so that you can opt out of whatever vaxes you want?

-Angela
#6 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 01:10 AM

Just lurking as my ds will be starting pre k...and we're battling with vaccines...

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#7 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz3 View Post
Just lurking as my ds will be starting pre k...and we're battling with vaccines...
Do you need info on exemptions?

-Angela
#8 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm giving most things on schedule. I didn't do a hep b shot at birth, but I knew she'd be getting it in pediarix... but honestly if not for the combo shot I would've been fine delaying that one. I'm also planning to delay MMR for a year or so, based on potential reactions. Thus far we haven't had any reactions or problems to speak of. I wish they could make the shots hurt less though.

I'm also undecided thus far on varicella, but I don't have to worry about that one just yet.
#9 of 17 Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM

I judge if my son will be at risk for any of the diseases (he's type 1 diabetic so it's different, illnesses affect blood sugars, which is dangerous), if the benefits to the vax outweigh the risks, and if I believe in the vaccine *cough flu vax cough*, it's a lot of research but it's worth it. We can pick and choose in my state IF I send him to public school
#10 of 17 Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 AM

I like Stephanie Cave's book. It was helpful when I was deciding.
#11 of 17 Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Do you need info on exemptions?

-Angela
I do, I do!
#12 of 17 Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughinWillow View Post
This is the only one my DH and I are contemplating, because we love the outdoors, camping in the woods, etc...
#13 of 17 Old 07-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
I do, I do!
Post over in the main vax forum

Lots of good info over there on tetanus too.

-Angela
#14 of 17 Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM

Hi

I was wondering if you know the name of the book?

Naomi
#15 of 17 Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
I do, I do!
Try this link:
http://www.909shot.com/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

Hope this helps!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#16 of 17 Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Stephanie Cave's book was very helpful to us when trying to decide. It goes over the risks of each vax as well as the risks of each disease.

Our deciding factor is basically this: If our kids are not likely to contract the disease and have serious health problems or death because of it, we don't get the vax. Or, even if the disease is very common, if it usually doesn't cause serious health problems for children, we don't get the vax.
#17 of 17 Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=prettypixels;8532605] I wish they could make the shots hurt less though. QUOTE]

Try the Shotblocker. It's made by a company in Toledo called Bionix. My 4 yo's first ped gave us the shotblocker. It's amazing. My son never reacted (cried, winced, screamed, etc) until he was over 12 months and a student nurse did his shot. The shotblocker works on the principle of the gateway method, i.e. the nerves can only send one signal at a time to the brain.

I recently got a DTP booster and used the shotblocker. I was really curious if it worked because my only experience with it had been watching my son. It really worked! I did not know when the needle was going in or even coming out. I truly felt nothing.

You should be able to google "shotblocker".

P.S. I do not work for Bionix but have recommended the shotblocker to many parents who appreciate it too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page