measles only vax? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 06-30-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
jmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any info on the measles only vax? My 2 yo has not had the MMR and we have recently had a major measles outbreak in our area. There are a lot of nonvaxed kids around here and apparently it is really spreading. I'm contemplating getting dd the measles only vax. The ped said she could order it for me and said it was thimerosol free. I'm feeling so torn. The only info I can find is one MMR and not measles only so it's tough to make an informed decision. thanks for any info or opinions!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

jmo, here is the package insert for Attenuvax, the monovalent measles vaccine:

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...tenuvax_pi.pdf

This should get you started. No live vaccines have or do contain thimerosal. Thimerosal is a preservative and would inactivate the virus.

SM
#3 of 9 Old 06-30-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
This should get you started. No live vaccines have or do contain thimerosal. Thimerosal is a preservative and would inactivate the virus.

SM
:

Do you have specific questions?

-Angela

#4 of 9 Old 06-30-2007, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just an FYI...
Looks like there was only actually one case.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5624md.htm
#5 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Just an FYI...
Looks like there was only actually one case.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5624md.htm
Wow, thanks for that link. I had a feeling things were getting blow out of proportion! There was an article in the local paper about that one confirmed guy but then it talked about all these people he had exposed and how they were being quarantined as likely cases. Then another mom (w/ vaxed kids)told me "tons of kids are sick." Ugh. I should have known better. The freaking peds office had masks at the door for people to wear....talk about encouraging paranoia!

Has anyone else decided to get the measles only vax for any reason? Measles kind of freaks me out and I am still contemplating the vax. I'd love to hear any pros/cons or decisions from others.

#6 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo View Post

Has anyone else decided to get the measles only vax for any reason? Measles kind of freaks me out and I am still contemplating the vax. I'd love to hear any pros/cons or decisions from others.
Measles was one that concerned me at first. However when I researched the disease I found a couple of things. First- it used to be seen as very mild- like chickenpox was when I was a kid. People had measles parties to expose all the kids. Next- healthy people with good food to eat don't die of the measles. Third- measles is easily treated with vitamin A.

So after I found all of that I was comfortable declining that vax.

-Angela
#7 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
jmo

thanks for the info, angela. I did some more research and talked w/ dh last night and I think we are also going to decline. The research on vitamin A is so interesting...and wasn't ever mentioned by the ped...what a sursprise.

#8 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo View Post
The research on vitamin A is so interesting...and wasn't ever mentioned by the ped...what a sursprise.
It seems to be remarkably unknown considering the research out there. It's very odd.

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I just want to throw this in here...
The "best" reason to get the measles vax early is because of herd immunity and protecting "the weak". I don't think the measles vax is as effective as they say it is. None of the MMR components seem to be. My guess would be that the first dose is probably only effective in 60ish% of the population, and the second dose probably bumps it up to 70-80%. I think we're basically always on the verge of an epidemic.
It's not that I really think my own kid would have a hard time with measles, but there would be a lot of deaths (mostly infants) if there were to be a big epidemic. I'm not saying it's anyone else's moral responsibility to vax their kids to protect others. Different people have different philosophies about that, which I totally respect. But the measles component of the MMR is the one and only vaccine that the "herd immunity" argument really makes sense for, to me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page