If you got the MMR for your child - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 25 Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
pumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 4,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what age did they get it?

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
pumpkinhead is offline  
#2 of 25 Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned
 
Science Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PH, 14 and 16 months old for my two.

SM
Science Mom is offline  
#3 of 25 Old 09-09-2007, 01:57 AM
 
liam's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: in utter disbelief
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
age 4.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
liam's mom is offline  
#4 of 25 Old 09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
 
amydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 4 1/2 and we still have not given it to him. I'm terrified! I'm trying to figure out at what age is a "safe" age to give it to him?? He has some speech/language delays/articulation errors as it is, and I'm so afraid that this shot will cause more problems. I expressed my concerns to his pediatrician, and he said he would sign off in delaying the vaccine if that is my request (so that he can still start kindergarten next fall). We have also gone so far as to get a religious exemption from the MMR and Varicella (because of the way that they are made), but now my understanding is that you can only use the religious exemption on an all or none basis. When my DH got the exemption they never even asked him if our son has received any vaccines, so I'm not sure about that one. Anyway....if we are forced to comply, would it be safe for him to receive the MMR now? If not, we will homeschool. Any opinions????
amydep is offline  
#5 of 25 Old 09-22-2007, 07:00 PM
 
delphiniumpansy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 2,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as scheduled
delphiniumpansy is offline  
#6 of 25 Old 09-22-2007, 07:01 PM
 
Amylcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only got it for my first DD, but she had it at 12 months.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Amylcd is offline  
#7 of 25 Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM
 
AnnaGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the only shot we've delayed. I can't get past my fear of it and I refuse to do it until/unless I feel at peace with it. My ped is fine with it. We discuss it at every checkup and I've never been pressured to go ahead with it, thank God. DS is 18 months old. We've talked about giving it to him at 2 y/o, but I want to make sure to see his verbal skills develop a little more, so who knows....
AnnaGA is offline  
#8 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
 
mangosink0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 got it at 17 mos on schedule before I questioned vaxes. DS is 4 and got a single measles at 3. Unsure when and if we'll do more for him. DD 18 mos hasn't had it and not even considering it in the next 6 mos.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

mangosink0 is offline  
#9 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 AM
 
Mom2twoboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of my boys had it late (by about 6 months).
Mom2twoboys is offline  
#10 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 AM
 
KMK_Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest DD got it at 12 months and because of her reaction my 2nd DD didn't get it until 2 1/2. I don't know when Keegan will get it, as we have stopped vaccinating for a while and don't know when we will resume, if ever. I'm thinking age 3 if we decided to go ahead with it.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
KMK_Mama is offline  
#11 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 AM
 
nicolebeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD--15 months, positive measles titre at 5
DS--hasn't had MMR (he's 27 1/2 months)
nicolebeth is offline  
#12 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM
 
CherryBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
about 2 years for both.
CherryBomb is offline  
#13 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
 
wflcpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the Fast Lane
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 3/4 years for DS1 (Now 9). DD 1&2 - on schedule (they are now 14, 12.5 years old) DS2 will not ever, but if I change my mind, not before 5. Worked so well with ds1, nary a reaction.
wflcpw is offline  
#14 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
 
huggerwocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She'll get it at 16 months.
huggerwocky is offline  
#15 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
 
bobica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: missing my bobo
Posts: 7,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we split it up & she got it spread out from about 2 1/2 years old to 4 1/2.
bobica is offline  
#16 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
 
hapersmion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS hasn't gotten it yet, but we'll think about it when he's three. We'll most likely split it up if we do it, and we probably won't do the Rubella portion. I'm not happy about the whole aborted fetal cells thing.
hapersmion is offline  
#17 of 25 Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
 
amydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've since found out more information since my last post and we've made our decision - our kids will not be getting it because of the aborted fetal cells used in this vaccine. We will use our religious exemption when we sign him up for kindergarten next year. I was told by our school district that this is OK to do. We do not have the option in our state in splitting up the shot (called the health department and was told it is not an option). So, no MMR and no varicella shots for sure!
amydep is offline  
#18 of 25 Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
 
arweaver02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the info, don't let your state tell you it isn't possible...


Dr. Stephanie Cave (Dr. in Baton Rouge, LA - 225-767-7433) is an advocate for children being immunized with three separate doses instead of the MMR combined. Reportedly, she asked for American Medicine (wholesale pharmaceutical company) to carry these immunizations. The owners of American Medicine are Mark and Bridgette Schexnayder who are also pharmacists.

The pharmaceutical company of these three separate immunizations is Merck.

American Medicine will need the following from your doctor:
•Doctor’s prescription with the child’s name
•Copy of Doctor’s license
Have your doctor fax this to 225-924-0249.

You will then pay American Medicine (225-924-0247) and they will overnight the immunizations to your doctor. You will have to pay the overnight shipping fee due to the medicine needing to be refrigerated. Make sure you ask for the expiration dates so that you will know ahead of time and for your records.

September 2007- Cost is appx. $119 (for all 3) plus shipping/handling (+-$20.)
arweaver02 is offline  
#19 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 PM
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "It's Chinatown, Jake"
Posts: 12,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twoboys View Post
Both of my boys had it late (by about 6 months).

they got it early.

it is not recommended until 12 months... the rubella part certainly should not be done earlier. curious why your ped gave it early.


anyway, my ds is nonvaxed so can't add anything to OP.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

 

Tracy is offline  
#20 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Around age 2.5 for my oldest, around age 2 for my middle DD, and around age 3 for DS.

My plan was to delay vax until preschool. With my oldest, I started her vax around 2 or 2.5 so she was all caught up by the time school started. With DD2, I had to put her in daycare around age 2 so she was vaxed a bit younger. With DS I delayed until preschool started, then took him for shots every few months while attending school. By the end of "3 year old nursury" he was caught up with whatever the minimum vax requirements were to avoid needing an exemption. If I'd known a child could start preschool while getting the "catch up' shots, I would have delayed all of them until school/daycare actually commenced.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#21 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twoboys View Post
Both of my boys had it late (by about 6 months).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
they got it early.

it is not recommended until 12 months... the rubella part certainly should not be done earlier. curious why your ped gave it
I read that as "they got it about 6 months later than schedualed" rather than "they got it at 6mo."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
Ruthla is offline  
#22 of 25 Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 AM
 
KMK_Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I read that as "they got it about 6 months later than schedualed" rather than "they got it at 6mo."
Me too.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
KMK_Mama is offline  
#23 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "It's Chinatown, Jake"
Posts: 12,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ah, that makes sense.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

 

Tracy is offline  
#24 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
 
leila1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydep View Post
My son is 4 1/2 and we still have not given it to him. I'm terrified! I'm trying to figure out at what age is a "safe" age to give it to him?? He has some speech/language delays/articulation errors as it is, and I'm so afraid that this shot will cause more problems. I expressed my concerns to his pediatrician, and he said he would sign off in delaying the vaccine if that is my request (so that he can still start kindergarten next fall). We have also gone so far as to get a religious exemption from the MMR and Varicella (because of the way that they are made), but now my understanding is that you can only use the religious exemption on an all or none basis. When my DH got the exemption they never even asked him if our son has received any vaccines, so I'm not sure about that one. Anyway....if we are forced to comply, would it be safe for him to receive the MMR now? If not, we will homeschool. Any opinions????
I don't know if you've already found this out, but at least in Florida, if you get the religious exemption and already have or plan to have more shots, you just use the exemption in place of any vax records. You will also want to opt out of the SHOTS database so that schools & daycares can't access your DC's records (your dr will still be able to access them). That solves the "all or nothing" problem. The rest is between you and the doc, who doesn't need to know you even have the exemption.

***
leila1213 is offline  
#25 of 25 Old 10-21-2007, 07:05 PM
 
amydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes! I did find all this out after I posted the above. In fact, I posted a couple threads on here with the link for the opt out form for the SHOTS database after I found it. I wish that we were just allowed to make these parenting decisions without having to jump through all of these hoops, ya know?
amydep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off