looking for input on my delayed schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

I've posted on here a few times, but for a little background my son was born at 28 weeks. Through his four month checkup, I got all the standard vaccinations (hep b, rota, dtap, hib, pcv, and ipv). Now I would like to delay/separate the rest, and this is what I planned on:
9 mos- Rota
12 mos- DTaP
15 mos- Hib (?- not sure if this series is done or how necessary it is)
PCV
18 mos- measles
24 mos- mumps
30 mos- Rubella
36 mos- IPV
4-6 years- DTap, IPV
MMR Titers

I planned on skipping the last Hep B shot- figured he could get it later on if he wanted it. Hib I'm having a hard time deciding- I'm not sure how at risk he is for it or if he even needs a third or fourth dosage of it. I was going to skip varicella and hep A (again, he could get it later if he wanted). I'm also debating the flu shot- it seems highly recommended since he's a preemie...

Any input?

Thanks ladies!
#2 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 PM

I wonder what your reasons are for separating the MMR? I know other people who have gone through this decision and have opted for the MMR simply because their child is then receiving less preservatives and extraneous ingredients. When you divide it into 3, they get 3x the amount of "extra" stuff.

You may have researched this already, but just thought I'd throw it out there since I've heard others with the concern.

Also, since you are separating the MMR, have you researched each disease individually? You may find that after researching there are one or all that don't worry you anymore and then you could eliminate that vaccine all together.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM

what diseases are you worried about?

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#4 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM

when will he be 9mos? during the rota season? I think you need to have it before the season starts for it to offer any protction. Also, I wouldn't do any vax until 2 years. I also wouldn't do polio at all.
#5 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
I wonder what your reasons are for separating the MMR? I know other people who have gone through this decision and have opted for the MMR simply because their child is then receiving less preservatives and extraneous ingredients. When you divide it into 3, they get 3x the amount of "extra" stuff.

You may have researched this already, but just thought I'd throw it out there since I've heard others with the concern.

Also, since you are separating the MMR, have you researched each disease individually? You may find that after researching there are one or all that don't worry you anymore and then you could eliminate that vaccine all together.
augghh!! my brain is frying with all of this information!!! i didn't even think about the three times as much junk in the vaccines, i was just thinking about separating them so as not to overwhelm his system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekat View Post
what diseases are you worried about?
all of them- primarily because of his weakened immune system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymamadaddy View Post
when will he be 9mos? during the rota season? I think you need to have it before the season starts for it to offer any protction. Also, I wouldn't do any vax until 2 years. I also wouldn't do polio at all.
with the rota- he's already gotten two doses of the vaccine.. won't that help?

the main reason why i'm still doing polio and rubella are because they're required for schools in my state, and i'm not sure i could do a "religious exemption" for just these two vaccines..
#6 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM

does he have health issues/conditions other than being a p reemie?
well, i wouldn't do any of the live virus vaxxes. so i'd cross off rota, MMR. i wouldn't do flu -- why expose him to all the junk for what's bben shown to be very little benefit.
i guess the only ones i'd consider would be hib and prevnar, but it would take a lot of convincing.
what state are you in? we can point you to resources for exemptions

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#7 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

no other health issues.. yay!!

rota i'm definitely scared of- it seems like children who aren't vaxxed against this are highly likely to catch it, and for ds that means going back to the hospital. and i'm also afraid of the two MMs- mostly because of the risk of encephalitis.

we live in nh

thanks!
#8 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Could you get a religious exemption for the school and just not let them know that you are doing some vaccination? Don't submit your vaccination record to the school, only the exemption. I don't think your doctor would communicate with the school, would they? So nobody would know you selectively vaccinate but yourself and your doctor, correct?

I mean, if you don't want polio and rubella, don't get them! There has to be away around it, don't let the fear of "your kid needs it for school" bully you into it!

Makes me so glad that vaccinations aren't mandatory where I live! And our doctor's don't do them at baby check-ups (we have Public Health clinics that do them) so a baby check-up is actually a check-up and not just to receive vaccines.

#9 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Here's a petition you can sign for NH which is against compulsory vaccination and requesting philosophical exemptions http://www.geocities.com/rnroy03570/petition.html

#10 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

SH, Some of the determinants for some vaccines are breastfeeding, daycare, international travel and your and your husband's occupations (i.e. are you employed in 'high risk' jobs).

SM
#11 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

SM- i do have to take that into account. I have a perpetually low mama milk supply which is not responding to anything (I'm going to see an endocrinologist soon) so I'm not sure how long i'll be breastfeeding for. Also, I may be considered to have a high risk job as I work with infants and toddlers. Most are vaccinated.
#12 of 22 Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
I have a perpetually low mama milk supply which is not responding to anything (I'm going to see an endocrinologist soon) so I'm not sure how long i'll be breastfeeding for.
Have you checked out the breastfeeding forum here?

#13 of 22 Old 10-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned

SH, I am not a fan of Rotateq and breastfeeding is highly protective for serious effects of Rotavirus infection. But given breastfeeding issues and a preemie and your own potential exposure, I would go ahead and recommend this at 6 months, not at 9 months. The point is you want to provide protection when they need it most. If your son received 2 Hib vaccinations then studies have shown that nearly 98% of recipients have protective antibody titres so you can decide if a third at some point would be beneficial. If you are going to do DTaP, boosting at 12 months is defeating the purpose of getting as much protection when they are most vulnerable (i.e. less than 12 months old). I would recommend the third dose at or around 6 months as well. You can forgo PCV boosters or get the third dose at 2 years old. IPV boosters can be re-started after 2 years old as well. Personally, I wouldn't separate MMR, it is 3 jabs with no benefit (I don't agree with Cave, there is no foundation for that recommendation). MMR can be done at or around 2 years old then boost at 4-6 years old or you can check titres. Hep b third dose can be done 4-6 years. I don't recommend Hep A or influenza and your choice for varicella. If you skip varicella, do check a titre at around 10 years old or a little older and consider the vaccine if negative. If you are inclined to agree with any of my recommendations, feel free to post another schedule for comment.

SM
#14 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
Have you checked out the breastfeeding forum here?
There is actually another moma with low supply issues who has recently posted. Look under Breastfeeding Challenges...lots of good info...
good luck!!
#15 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellanigh View Post
There is actually another moma with low supply issues who has recently posted. Look under Breastfeeding Challenges...lots of good info...
good luck!!
I bet I know which thread you're talking about.. I read it and I could have posted the same thing! Unfortunately, I've been at this for five months now, working with doctors, LLL, and LCs, and I'm at the point where I haven't come across something new to try in a very long time.. so the only thing I'm really optimistic about is that I've made it as long as I have...
#16 of 22 Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I bet I know which thread you're talking about.. I read it and I could have posted the same thing! Unfortunately, I've been at this for five months now, working with doctors, LLL, and LCs, and I'm at the point where I haven't come across something new to try in a very long time.. so the only thing I'm really optimistic about is that I've made it as long as I have...
If we're talking about the same thread, then that mama received some info via email from Dr. Jack Newman and she was going to try some of his suggestions. You might want to see if you can ask her to pass the info on to you. He is a breastfeeding expert and runs a breastfeeding clinic in Canada with a colleague. I know that one of the important things is to get baby off of all artificial nipples and any supplementation should be done via SNS or Lact-Aid. But, of course she has a whole list of suggestions from him, so see if you can get that info!

#17 of 22 Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks...

i'm very sensitive to people insinuating that if i just "did enough" or did whatever i do hard enough or more then i wouldn't have any trouble breastfeeding.. all i can say is that i've worked very hard to get to where i am, and right now i feel like we're doing okay. i'm just not sure how long it will last. if it doesn't last, i may contact dr. newman but honestly it probably depends on where i am at that point. not only have i exhausted my resources, but i'm exhausted.
#18 of 22 Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
thanks...

i'm very sensitive to people insinuating that if i just "did enough" or did whatever i do hard enough or more then i wouldn't have any trouble breastfeeding.. all i can say is that i've worked very hard to get to where i am, and right now i feel like we're doing okay. i'm just not sure how long it will last. if it doesn't last, i may contact dr. newman but honestly it probably depends on where i am at that point. not only have i exhausted my resources, but i'm exhausted.
Well I do hope that you weren't thinking I was insinuating that you weren't trying hard enough. I had no idea where you were in your journey with low supply so I just wanted to let you know where you could receive more info if you needed/wanted it.

Sorry you are so worn out mama, it sounds like you've had a tough road. I hope things get better for you soon!

#19 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

We've decided to do Hib and Pc.

The Hib vaccine has the safest track record, according to Dr. Sears. Teh diseases it protects against are most common/serious in infants, although serious complications are very rare. If you do get the vaccine try to get ActHB if you can because it doesn't contain aluminum.

Pc has a pretty safe track record too, although it's new. However, the diseases it's preventing are much more common than what the Hib immunization vaccines against, and the diseases can lead to complications that can be pretty serious in infants.

The only other vaccine we're doing is DTaP because I'm scared of pertussis.
#20 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 AM

GracesMama, you said that Hib is common/serious in infants. I am addressing the common part..... On here http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5642.pdf page 116, it indicates that of Serotype B, 29 cases were reported for 2006 and 9 cases for 2005. For the 29 numbers, that's not even one per state.

Not a challenge but why do you believe that it is common? this is an honest question. Do you feel that 29 cases signifies a commone disease?

I am still making my mind up but am delayed so far except for 1 DTaP and I don't think I am going to continue that one.
#21 of 22 Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 PM

anewmama,
Sorry, I meant Hib is more common in infants than older children and adults, so I didn't want to delay the vaccine. And, yes I agree it's not a common disease among infants...just when it occurs, it's usually in infants. Thanks for clarifying!
#22 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
and i'm also afraid of the two MMs- mostly because of the risk of encephalitis.
I don't want to give you something else to worry about... but just want to let you know that vaxes can cause encephalitis too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page