Selective vaxers -- how do you feel about Hep A? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, first of all hep a, very minor illness, not worthy of a vac imo. also it is one of the vacs that contains aborted fetal cells -if that bothers you.

http://www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

secondly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpansy View Post
It takes at least six mos between shots. But, you could spread it out more. If you started at school age, say 6, then you could it at yearly shots and be done in a few years and then have supposed immunity before the teen years.
this is VERY inaccurate information and should not be followed. i give this vac as part of my job, and it is NEVER ok to give it like this. there is a certain time period between each injection and if you miss that specific time, you start the whole series over.

i would be more concerned about starting it too soon and not maintaining antibodies...
#32 of 36 Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bug View Post
this is VERY inaccurate information and should not be followed. i give this vac as part of my job, and it is NEVER ok to give it like this. there is a certain time period between each injection and if you miss that specific time, you start the whole series over.

i would be more concerned about starting it too soon and not maintaining antibodies...
Actually, you're incorrect about that. It is not ever necessary to restart the series if the schedule is interrupted. Longer intervals are acceptable, shorter intervals are not.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...loads/hepb.pdf
#33 of 36 Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 AM

Vaxed immunity wears off. Adults are supposed to get boosters, but generally don't. This is a pro-vax article that states that the Hep B vaccine immunity lasts 10-15 years.
http://cw11.empowereddoctor.com/story_435.html
Quote:
"The latest research in the Annals of Internal Medicine shows the Hepatitis B vaccine lasts for 15 years, a longer period than the ten years it had been previously thought to last. However, this varies depending upon the age of the person vaccinated."
So, when the kids actually need the immunity, they lose it.

As for the stats that yellowpansy cites, note the words "PEOPLE" and "AMERICANS". 12 million AMERICANS have been infected. How many of those AMERICANS are children? In the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccines, Dr. Stephanie Cave asserts that in 1996, there were 54 cases of Hepatitis B in infants. At the same time, there were hundreds of reports of adverse effects in young children to VAERS.

A headline at Vaccination News reads: More Hepatitis B Vaccine Reactions Among Children Reported Than Cases Of the Disease - this is from January 1999, and has more numbers. http://www.909shot.com/PressReleases/prhepb012799.htm
Quote:
"... in 1996, there were 872 serious adverse events reported to VAERS in children under 14 years of age who had been injected with hepatitis B vaccine. The children were either taken to a hospital emergency room, had life threatening health problems, were hospitalized or were left disabled following vaccination. 214 of the children had received hepatitis B vaccine alone and the rest had received hepatitis B vaccine in combination with other vaccines. 48 children were reported to have died after they were injected with hepatitis B vaccine in 1996 and 13 of them had received hepatitis B vaccine only before their deaths. By contrast, in 1996 only 279 cases of hepatitis B disease were reported in children under age 14."
and
Quote:
"NVIC maintains that reports made by doctors to VAERS represent only a small fraction of the vaccine-related injuries and deaths which occur in the U.S. every year. A former FDA Commissioner wrote in JAMA in 1993 that one study showed "only about 1 percent of serious events" attributable to drug reactions are reported to the FDA."

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JID...41_954.web.pdf
90% of infections in infants and young children are asymptomatic.
Historically, Hep B has been most prevalent in people over 39 years of age.

There are a number of vaccines for Hep B. Aluminum, in some form, appears in all of them, and two contain formaldehyde.

These numbers are all from the US, and I can't speak as to risk factors in other countries. However, in the US Hep B is most prevalent in the sexually promiscuous and IV drug user communities. It's not a children's disease, and the immunity wears off before the risk is real.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#34 of 36 Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I wonder what they mean by how long it lasts - because according to the CDC, though antibody levels do decline over time, anamnestic response continues to protect people who responded to the vaccine.
#35 of 36 Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM

We have opted to skip the HepA vax. I told my pediatrician that we would revisit the discussion if we planned to travel any place where it was prevalent.
#36 of 36 Old 01-01-2008, 02:08 AM

you are right, for right now. they change this constantly, we were just told about 2 wks ago to not restart series. there are still lots of offices that do restart. gotta love the medical field.

there are two time tables, the normal and an accelerated. i would still be very wary of making your own extended time table up, there are those that still have problems converting and making antibodies even after the normal schedule.

if you're concerned about the vaccination, i would just wait until their older and get it done on a regular schedule. (i personally won't be vaccinating my kids against hep b -they can choose to have it later if they'll be going into a career that would expose them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Actually, you're incorrect about that. It is not ever necessary to restart the series if the schedule is interrupted. Longer intervals are acceptable, shorter intervals are not.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...loads/hepb.pdf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page