Selective vaxers -- how do you feel about Hep A? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who are being selective about your kiddos' vaccinations, what are your feelings on the Hep A shot? My ped. was pushing me to get Hep A for my daughter, even though he's been pretty cool about our choice to delay vaccinations until the age of 2. How do you all feel about this particular shot? Do you feel the good outweighs the risk?

And while we're at it, what do you think about Hep B? We have another one due in January, and I'm leaning toward no, but would it be beneficial to perhaps get it at a later date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think Hep A is one of the easiest to cross off the list of potential vaccines to get. The disease is usually totally without any symptoms at all in little kids, but they give it to toddlers to protect adults, since toddlers are considered the "spreaders". HepA isn't even THAT bad in adults, though (one third of "us" have had it already and never even knew what it was...it's basically the "stomach flu" you catch from food.)
Chickenpox is significantly more deadly than HepA.

HepB is another one, although I do think it's worth considering later (like, the teen years).
Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM

First it's a fairly new vaccine.

Second- it is- as a rule, so mild in children that often you don't even know they've had it.

-Angela
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking about Hep A. I hadn't had the chance to research it very well, but I asked the ped what would happen if she were to contract the disease, and none of his arguments were very convincing. The worst thing that I saw happening was that if she gets a particularly nasty case, it could affect her growth. That is a bit of a worry, because she already went 4 months without growing for no apparent reason, so I'd prefer that her growth not be stunted. But he was telling me that even that's rare, and it doesn't appear to be fatal -- I was just confused why he was so adamant about it if it's not going to cause death or permanent damage.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
But he was telling me that even that's rare, and it doesn't appear to be fatal -- I was just confused why he was so adamant about it if it's not going to cause death or permanent damage.
If death and permanent damage are your worries- look closely at the other vaccines. What I found was that the diseases that we actually have a fair chance of coming into contact with in the US do NOT cause death or permanent damage.

-Angela
Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, to be honest, I don't see the point of vaccinating against a disease that will only make the kid sick -- death and permanent damage are the only viable reasons I see for them. Like chickenpox -- if your kid has a healthy immune system, it's not going to be fatal, so why vaccinate for it? So yeah, that's my main concern. It's why we decided to delay (although she did get them for the first 6 months) until she's at least 2, and then only get the ones that protect against the true nasties.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't see the point of vaccinating against a disease that will only make the kid sick -- death and permanent damage are the only viable reasons I see for them. Like chickenpox -- if your kid has a healthy immune system, it's not going to be fatal, so why vaccinate for it? So yeah, that's my main concern. It's why we decided to delay (although she did get them for the first 6 months) until she's at least 2, and then only get the ones that protect against the true nasties.
Keep researching none on the current schedule that your child has a significant chance of coming into contact with will do anything more than make them sick for a bit.

-Angela
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 AM

Here's the thing about worst cases - there is always a worst case scenario for both sides. I realized this when in a discussion about the flu vaccine recently. One mom said that the worst case scenario was that her DD would die of the flu. Another mom pointed out that, on the other side, the worst case scenario was that DD would die of a vaccine reaction.
I just found that interesting, as I had never had it put so bluntly into words before.

As for Hep A, it's like the flu in many ways, but tends to be mild. The vax also contains "human diploid cells" aka material from aborted fetal tissue. So, that's why we won't do it.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Old 10-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredhead View Post
As for Hep A, it's like the flu in many ways, but tends to be mild.
Actually it's an intestinal bug, not a respiratory bug like the flu. Worst case it would look like bad food poisoning.

-Angela
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 AM

We're not doing it and our ped isn't pushing it and didn't give it to his 18mo.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input ladies. I've read about it a bit, and I think we're going to forego it. I appreciate all your input.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 PM

If you live on the west coast or in the southwest and your kids will be in daycare, and especially if you're not breastfeeding, I would consider having your children get it. Apparently Hep A is much more prevalent in those areas and it spreads easily through daycare centers. Dr. Sears new book, The Vaccine Book, gives some good info.

As for Hep B, I don't see any reason to give a newborn or child that vaccine unless the mother has Hep B. We'll reconsider it when our kids are teenagers, but I'm hoping we've instilled good values and they won't be IV drug users or promiscuous...we'll see.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Its not on our list...the only ones we are currently considering are DTaP (or DT if we wait long enough) and possibly MMR when DS is pre-teen
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 PM

I'm still researching all the info and I'm not sure yet what I will let DS have (if any) and when but Hep A we won't be getting. Hep A is a mild condition that in 90% of cases is asymptomatic and you never know you had it. It is easily treated and once its gone you have a lifetime immunity. So I see no reason to get it. HepB is another we won't be vaxing with (although DS did get a shot of HepB in the hosp). We won't be anymore b/c HepB is an STD. I don't see my 5 yo having sex with numerous people and sharing drug needles. I'll let my kids make the decision to get this on their own as adults or vax them as teens if they need it.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM

I had hep A at 18 and I did not consider it mild or anything like the flu. I had jaundice with it and was very, very sick. It led to mono as I was so run down. I was a mess for weeks. Also, now I cannot donate blood or an organ because of it. Not sure why, but that is a fact. I could not donate to even my own family.

That being said I do not think babies or toddlers need this one . I would wait until preschool age or older to do that one. As for hep B, there is evidence that preschoolers can pass it via biting so I would wait on that one and not do it at birth. We did not do it at birth but started after age one.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
As for hep B, there is evidence that preschoolers can pass it via biting so I would wait on that one and not do it at birth.
Where did you find that information? Everything I've read about Hep B insists that it's an STD, or blood borne. This is via the NIH:
The virus that causes hepatitis B is spread through contact with infected blood or other body fluids of people who have hepatitis B. For example, you can get hepatitis B by having unprotected sex with an infected person.

People who use intravenous drugs can get hepatitis B when they share needles with someone who has the virus. Health care workers, such as nurses, lab technicians and doctors, can get these infections if they are accidentally stuck with a needle that was used on an infected patient.

Pregnant women who are infected with hepatitis B can also pass the virus on to their babies.

Hepatitis B cannot be transmitted through casual contact. For example, you cannot get hepatitis B by hugging or shaking hands with someone who is infected.

Furthermore, the immunity from the Hep B vax only lasts 10-20 years. This is a PRO-vaccine article, and even it admits that.
http://cw11.empowereddoctor.com/story_435.html

In the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You... by Dr. Stephanie Cave, she cites that in 1996, there were fewer than 75 cases of Hep B in children under the age of 5. There were about 20,000 reports of moderate to severe adverse effects in VAERS. I don't like those odds, personally.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
transmission has occurred through a human bite
http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5516a1.htm

Quote:
The virus is transmitted through blood and infected bodily fluids.
Quote:
Hepatitis B In the World

* 2 billion people have been infected (1 out of 3 people).
* 400 million people are chronically infected.
* 10-30 million will become infected each year.
* An estimated 1 million people die each year from hepatitis B and its complications.
* Approximately 2 people die each minute from hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B In the United States

* 12 million Americans have been infected (1 out of 20 people).
* More than one million people are chronically infected .
* Up to 100,000 new people will become infected each year.
* 5,000 people will die each year from hepatitis B and its complications.
* Approximately 1 health care worker dies each day from hepatitis B.

http://www.hepb.org/
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 PM

My understanding is that the bite theory is just a theory. I don't know of any confirmed cases transmitted that way.

-Angela
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
My understanding is that the bite theory is just a theory. I don't know of any confirmed cases transmitted that way.

-Angela
I had blood borne pathogens training to get my teaching cert and we were cautioned about transmission of diseases via biting. Even if it is a theory, it is not worth chancing with Hep B on the rise as much as it is. It is becoming an international plague.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpansy View Post
I had blood borne pathogens training to get my teaching cert and we were cautioned about transmission of diseases via biting. Even if it is a theory, it is not worth chancing with Hep B on the rise as much as it is. It is becoming an international plague.
It's also a risky vaccine. I'm not convinced there is any realistic way for a preschooler to contract it. It seems most logical to wait for this one until the pre-teen years at least.

-Angela
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
It's also a risky vaccine. I'm not convinced there is any realistic way for a preschooler to contract it. It seems most logical to wait for this one until the pre-teen years at least.

-Angela
Yes, I agree. By advocating starting that one late, I do intend for protection to be maximized by the teen years. In order to do so, one must start vaxing in early childhood so that immunity is built up by teen years. Teen years frighten me! So many health issues!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
In order to do so, one must start vaxing in early childhood so that immunity is built up by teen years
Huh? Who told you that?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Huh? Who told you that?
:

Hep B is a series vaccine. If the series is followed (and I believe it takes just a month or two) then "full immunity" should be gained at the end of the series.

-Angela
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 AM

It takes at least six mos between shots. But, you could spread it out more. If you started at school age, say 6, then you could it at yearly shots and be done in a few years and then have supposed immunity before the teen years.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 AM

We selectively and delay vax...

I didn't think the HEP A one was important to get at this time. Young kids usually don't get real sick from HEP A, so why bother. Both dh and I are healthy, so we would live through it if dd got it and gave it to us. I also think its too new of a vax to give right now. Maybe when dd is older we will consider it, but not right now.

I did get dd the HEP B vax series. (and myself) I work in health care, and have gotten blood on me several times. You never really know who has HEP B, and when you work in an area where you are likely to be exposed frequently, its one that is important IMO. I know young children normally aren't having sex, or shooting drugs, but when I am exposed, I would like to take measures to keep my dd healthy as well. Also, if another kid were to bite my dd and break the skin, how would I know if they didn't have open area's in their mouth? If you don't work in healthcare and your children aren't really around other kids, I wouldn't worry about getting the HEP B vax either. But for us, it is a concern.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM

We aren't doing Hep A. It was the easiest one to cross off to be honest with you.

CNM mama.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpansy View Post
It takes at least six mos between shots. But, you could spread it out more. If you started at school age, say 6, then you could it at yearly shots and be done in a few years and then have supposed immunity before the teen years.
That's not how you're supposed to do it:

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...ombivax_pi.pdf

Quote:
RECOMBIVAX HB Hepatitis B Vaccine (Recombinant) PEDIATRIC/ADOLESCENT (WITHOUT
PRESERVATIVE) and ADULT FORMULATIONS (WITHOUT PRESERVATIVE) ARE NOT INTENDED
FOR USE IN PREDIALYSIS/DIALYSIS PATIENTS.
Three-Dose Regimen
The vaccination regimen for each population consists of 3 doses of vaccine given according to the
following schedule:

RECOMBIVAX HB
Hepatitis B Vaccine (Recombinant) 7994331
First dose: at elected date
Second dose: 1 month later
Third dose: 6 months after the first dose
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM

We got Hep B. I might have considered delaying it but we live in a poor country so there is a greater chance of any one of us getting it should we be hospitalized (as needles could be contaminated). The risk of any of us getting Hep B, especially given our circumstances (in addition to having five medical workers and one prison worker in our near immediate family), was far, far, far greater than the risk of a vaccine reaction.

We did not get Hep A. I haven't had it. She hasn't had it. DH hasn't had it. We didn't consider it serious enough to add on to the list of shots she needed. We might get it for her later, though, now that I know about the organ donation thing. We all have very rare blood types. Hmmm.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM

They're not high on my list to get, but we will get them eventually. I know our hep B status, so that helps. We want to visit India in the near future and I'm considering Heb A for all of us. I think my husband had Hep A already ( some 10 years ago) but but the doctor just called it jaundice ( was not in the U.S.). he was very sick and it would be even worse in a undeveloped country on vacation for the children.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm not planning to do HepA. To be honest I have no idea how my doctor will feel about that either... so far we've done everything. (Except Hep B at birth, but we had a home birth.)

User Tag List