Hib shot at 15 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has an appt this Friday and I have been going back and forth on the Hib vaccine. I have only given him his 3 rounds of dtap on a delayed schedule with no reaction at all. And I understand that at 15 months they can received one shot of Hib and be "immune". I have gone over a lot of information and I feel that the hib shot might be beneficial (despite serotype replacement and al that jazz)

One concern is that he has had a febrile seizure unrelated to vaccines but I am concerned about him getting a fever after the shot.

Has anyone given their child the one shot of hib and not had any problems?

Thanks for helping me decide!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

A single dose of the Hib vaccine demonstrates ~97% seroconversion rate with 2 and 3 doses bumping that up to ~98 and ~99% respectively. I have given 3 doses to my children and neither had a problem at all which is the norm although there are exceptions. Was the febrile seizure related to a very high fever? Also, if you decide to give this vaccine (or any for that matter), be sure your child is free of any infections.

SM
#3 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the stats! His seizure was related to a rapid rise in temp. We didn't know at the time but it was from roseola.
I would just hate to induce a fever that might cause another seizure. It was torture to watch him go through it.

#4 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Thank you for the stats! His seizure was related to a rapid rise in temp. We didn't know at the time but it was from roseola.
I would just hate to induce a fever that might cause another seizure. It was torture to watch him go through it.
If you decide to go ahead with the vaccine, just monitor his body temperature frequently.

SM
#5 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
A single dose of the Hib vaccine demonstrates ~97% seroconversion rate with 2 and 3 doses bumping that up to ~98 and ~99% respectively.
SM - is this the case no matter at what age the child receives those shots?
#6 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by junomama View Post
SM - is this the case no matter at what age the child receives those shots?
Yes, for the most part.

SM
#7 of 8 Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

I have removed some posts from this thread - some will not be returned but I will be requesting edits before returning others to the discussion. I will be contacting everyone as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience.

As we proceed, please keep in mind the guidelines for this subforum:
Quote:
The Selective and Delayed Vaccination forum hosts discussion for parents who have made the decision to vaccinate their children (or are making that decision and want information about selective and delayed vaccination) and are seeking the best approach possible. While we will not restrict posting in this forum only to members who have chosen to vaccinate, we will restrict posting to specific information that is appropriate for the forum purpose and the thread topic posted.
This forum is not a place to argue against selective or delayed vaccination or debate vaccination in general. Such discussions are already hosted in the main Vaccinations forum and posts in that vein are most welcome and appropriate there. Our purpose for this forum is to provide information that is helpful for parents who have made the decision to vaccinate and are not seeking discussion against their decision but rather support and information to help them proceed in the best manner. Please respect this and post at all times with this in mind. Should you have any questions about the appropriateness of your post for this forum feel free to PM the forum moderator.
#8 of 8 Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't see the posts the got removed but doesn't matter because I have enough reason now to say no when the ped asks. Thanks anyway!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page