fully vaxxed child a risk to non-fully vaxxed DS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother-in-law watches my 10-month-old son Joshua a few days a week for a few hours but occasionally also watches my 2-year-old niece at the same time. My niece just recently started going to day care 1-2x a week when Grandma can't watch her, and DH brought up an interesting point.

Since I have Joshua on a selective vaxx schedule (he hasn't had the full Hepatitis B series or Prevnar), is he more at risk for diseases that my niece could be carrying? DH and I agree that just because she's fully vaxxed doesn't mean it's a shield to anything serious, but if my niece is carrying something, is Joshua more at risk for not being fully vaxxed? We're not worrying about the common cold, but something more serious like Prevnar for example or the flu. Her body might fight it off mostly because she's vaxxed, but Joshua hasn't been immunized... right?

I hope I'm making sense on this. Any insight on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rachel
#2 of 3 Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM
EVC

Hmmm...Are you worried about vax'es shedding, or just natural viruses being passed around?

If it's about shedding vax'es, the only ones you need to worry about are Rotateq, Flumist, MMR, and chickenpox. They are the only live vax'es that could possibly pose a risk of infecting an unvax'ed child.

If you mean the bigger picture of illness...Sorry to be so blunt, but that's life. There are contagious illnesses being passed around every minute of every day and certainly an unvax'ed child could become infected with one of them. And likely at some point will become infected with something. So will many vax'ed children, for that matter. Germs, bacteria, and viruses are all around us. The best thing to do is practise good hygiene and focus on good nutrition. They are your best defenses againt illness.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 3 Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 AM

One of the theories behind not vaccinating, or not vaccinating on schedule, is that the vaccines given on the "recommended" schedule actually weaken the child's immune system. Many people believe that non- or partially-vaxxed children have stronger immune systems than those who are vaccinated. I'm in that boat, actually. When a child gets 8 diseases in one day at age 8 weeks, how is that supposed to strengthen the immune system? Many people insist that their children who are not vaxxed are healthier than the ones who are. I don't know. Jack's had several colds, but he's never had an ear infection or anything else.
I could easily be wrong, of course.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page