rotovirus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,
We are in the process of figuring out what to give our baby girl due in early Feb. With my son we did it all through 6 months and havent done anything since. We are researching which ones to give him and have eliminated MMR and Polio for sure..
I am confused about rotovirus...isn't it fairly serious amongst infants. In my community there have been recent outbreaks of both pertusis and rotovirus...but I see all of you are not doing rotovirus, and you tell me why not...and the risks outweight the benefits isn't detailled enough for me, thanks,
Sarah
#2 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 02:15 PM

We are doing both rotavirus and dtap because there are outbreaks in our community. Rotavirus is always popping up. My older dd had it, twice, and it was horrendous for us. It is the number one killer of infants worldwide but mostly they die of dehydration which is rare in this country. I think some people are not doing rotavirus because it is a live vaccine and they are worried about transmitting it to others. My baby has had two rounds of it already and I followed proper hygeine with her while changing dipes and no one got the virus. If you wash your hands after dipe changes and clean the dipe changing area, etc, you will be fine. I know mamas irl who have let their babes get the rotavirus vaccine with no one getting the virus.

Dr Sears' Vaccine Book says that it is not a question of if babies will catch rotavirus but when and how severe. Babies are most at risk of catching this and having the vaccine decreases the severity of rotavirus. Having been through two very serious rounds of it, I am all for anything that will decrease its severity for our current babe. (we are also avoiding large group indoor play areas and do not do daycare)
#3 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 PM

We aren't doing the Rotavirus vaccine for a few reasons:
The maximum age you can start the Rotavirus vaccine series is 12 weeks, and we chose not to vaccinate our child at that young of an age. (my son is completely unvaccinated right now at 12 months old, and I am still researching; but if/when we do decide to vaccinate for anything, it won't be until he is at least 3-4 years old.) The vaccine is still fairly new, and I am not comfortable with that either. There are other reasons as well, but those are the main two.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#4 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Here are a couple of older threads on the subject you might like to check out:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=686790
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=665756
#5 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 PM

But then you miss out on a lot of illness prevention for infants who are more susceptible to things like pneumonia and rotavirus. So, waiting does not make sense unless you just plan to skip them all together. Rotavirus is more serious for infants, hence the young start age.
#6 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 PM

DP, were you saying that to me?
We have chosen not to vaccinate for Rotavirus, HIB, Prevnar, Meningoccal, and Influenza...and I am still researching the other vaccines, all of which I believe are fine to give at an older age.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#7 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Mommy*J View Post
DP, were you saying that to me?
We have chosen not to vaccinate for Rotavirus, HIB, Prevnar, and Influenza...and I am still researching the other vaccines, all of which are fine to give at an older age.
yes

and

yes that is true.
#8 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM

The newest shot was recalled for the same reason the old one was
http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/safety07.htm Are you sure you can even get it if you wanted it?
#9 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry View Post
The newest shot was recalled for the same reason the old one was
http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/safety07.htm Are you sure you can even get it if you wanted it?
That does not say it was recalled. It says they are monitoring kawasaki disease, which is very rare. It says there were 5 cases in the trial in kids how got the vax and 1 in those who got the placebo.
#10 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Rotateq wasn't out yet when ds was an infant, but I will be declining it for dd. Rotavirus sucks. There's just no way around it. And pretty much every child in America has a bout with it at least once by age 5. The severity does vary; many kids will just have watery diahrrea for a week, while others may also have a more severe case with diarrhea and vomiting, to the point where they need an IV. But the problem with the vaccine is that the side effects are pretty much the same as the symptoms for rotavirus; diarrhea occurs in about 24% of vaccine recipients, and vomiting occurs in about 15% of recipients. And since its a live vaccine, there is always a chance that baby will contract rotavirus from the vaccine, at which point many will just call it a coincidence and that baby must have picked it up in the waiting room, of course.

Anyway, to me Rotateq is a toss-up: you can't predict whether or not your child will have a more severe case of a rotavirus, just as you can't predict whether or not he/she will have "rotavirus-like symptoms" after vaccination. For me the tie-breaker is that the vaccine involves exposing baby to 3 strains of rotavirus at once, versus 1 strain at a time through natural exposure (and each subsequent bout with rotavirus is generally much less severe than the first bout, often even asymptomatic)
#11 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM

the vaccine did not exist when my DS was little, he is 6 now. he had rotovirus at 18 months and was hospitalized for dehydration. it was a horrible, scary illness but we got through it and i would not vacinate for this. he was breastfed and was not in daycare then so im not sure how he contracted it but he was ok, just needed an iv for one night and that was it. he still vomited every night for 2 weeks after the hospitalization but he was ok.
#12 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM

The vax didn't exist when my godson was a baby. He got rotavirus and wound up in the hospital for a month. Dehydration plus other complications, most of which I don't remember, except for the giant blisters on his butt from the acidic diarrhea. He had to lie in an incubator on his belly with O2 blowing on his bum. It was brutal.

My baby got the vax, and had no side effects... no diarrhea or vomiting.
#13 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM

I thought I wasn't going to do it, but my ds got the vaccine today (and he's 16 weeks). While it is suggested that you don't start the vaccine after 12 weeks, you can as long as you finish the series by 32 weeks. Therefore, he will have to be finished by the very beginning of his eighth month. His next is during his sixth month visit and then I'll finish him up by his 31st week to give it enough time to settle.

I decided that the benefits outweigh the risks after much research.
#14 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM

The vaccine is too new for me, especially considering the old one was pulled off the market and this one has already had a warning issued by the FDA about severe bowel problems. My 4 year old had rotavirus at 3 months. It sucked for a week, but he got over it. I actually think it was easier for him at that age when ebf than for his peers that got it at 18 months or 2 years when exclusively on solids.

We chose not to get it for my 6 month old. We're delaying vaxes - probably until age 1. And, we're not doing any for usually less serious illnesses - i.e. rotavirus, chicken pox, flu.
#15 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 PM

I'm one of the people who's kids had a severe case of rotavirus. All 3 kids were hospitalized, dehydrated and unconscious from extremely low blood sugars. They were all breastfed for over a year (my youngest was 1 at the time and still breastfeeding), they never went to daycare, and were otherwise very healthy. I did everything "right" and my kids were still extremely ill. If they had not been hospitalized they would have died.

I know the vaccine has some significant side effects, and as someone else posted, it's really a toss up as to how sick a child will be with the disease vs how much of a vaccine reaction they might have.

Rotateq wasn't available when my children got rotavirus. But after seeing my kids suffer with diarrhea and stomach cramps for weeks after the initial illness, all the weight loss (and they were slim to begin with), and the skin breakdown on their little bums, I think the vaccine is worth the risk.
#16 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 AM

I am not comfortable with new vaccines and the rotavirus is a new vaccine.

Pertussis only comes in combo and is highly reactive AND ineffective.

-Angela
#17 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM

Funny, but in his new book Vaccine, Dr Robert Sears says the dtap is both effective and one of the least reactive vaccines. :
#18 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiniumpansy View Post
Funny, but in his new book Vaccine, Dr Robert Sears says the dtap is both effective and one of the least reactive vaccines. :
That IS funny...

-Angela
#19 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM

My two-year-old hasn't had it. My future children won't get it either. I don't trust it - it just doesn't seem worthwhile, from everything I've heard. My pediatrician didn't even recommend it.

I don't think he ever got rotavirus. He is around lots of other kids, but still breastfeeds. When he was almost a year old he had a bad bout with diarrhea and vomiting (I think it was a noravirus, that's what was going around), but he was fine. Even if it had been rotavirus I don't think it would have been worth vaccinating to prevent it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page