Neither of our kids got the rotavirus vaccine (wasn't out with DD and we decided against it for DS). Our main reasons were:
-reaction of coursin's son (rotavirus like symptoms for a week after and then got rota again)
-didn't feel too at risk with Bfing and stay at home mom
But now we have reopened discussions on this after rotavirus caused us a week from hell and the cancellation of a lot of our trip.
The story- sorry its kinda long:
We left on the 24th for this trip. We went to Florida first for a week to visit my grandfather who is going through chemo. Two days after our arrival in Tampa airport, DD was sick....puking, diarrhea, etc...we couldn't see my grandfather because of her condition and we didn't want to pass anything to him. Next day later we took DD to my aunt (a ped) and she was diagnosed with rotavirus. We went into hand washing, sanitation like crazy mode hoping that DS would not catch it.
We left for Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport a couple days later and DS was fine. DD was getting a lot better. The schedule from there was to see more ill relatives, which we knew at the time that it might not even be possible.
But we figured we would go and hopefully we would be able to at least see them towards the end and then continue on to our next destination, which was a short trip and then home from there.
Unfortunately, we literally picked up our bags and DS got sick.
Well, we went home as soon as we could get our flights changed because things were so miserable and we didn't want to risk infecting everyone, esp since we were suppose to stay with DH's extended family, and that meant twin infant boys in the house as well...but mostly it was the misery factor and the need to get home to medical care we knew and trusted. Luckily we were able to get a shorter flight and DS had no real issues on the flight...just BF most of the time (ouch to my sore nipples)
So, we are home and DH asks me to "reopen and rethink" our decision not to do this vaccine for the new babe (arriving in April)
I have agreed. So, basically, I don't know what to do
I want to wait a little while to think about this in a way because I feel like my frustration over the past week and half will affect my decision too much. But then I think that I shouldn't try and ignore what happened because there is a chance it could have been prevented if the kids had had this vaccination.
But then it might not have been.
Some thing on my mind I thought selective/delayed families could help me out with:
-Does the vaccine make cases of rotavirus less severe or shorten duration if they do get it?
-have any good studies on the shedding rate? I have some here and really the numbers in them are all over the place
-what were your reasons to get or not to get this vaccine-- maybe there are angles I haven't looked at yet
Any other thoughts that might help us are appreciated