Question about Hib shot - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 43 Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 AM
 
attachedmamaof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...939e4d28a79c81

Quote:
Acute bacterial meningitis remains a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in the United States. It now appears that the microbiologic epidemiology of this potentially devastating disease is changing. We have seen a decrease in the incidence of Haemophilus influenzae meningitis and the emergence of high-level penicillin resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae –related disease.
attachedmamaof3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 43 Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
 
AnyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for what it's worth, epiglotitis, while scary, is not a-symptomatic. I know from experience. My oldest daughter was making this wheezing/whistling sound one day whenever she took a breath. It seemed to get worse over the course of a few hours. I called her doctor about it because I thought maybe it was asthma. He told me to bring her right over and he listened to her and said it was coming from her upper airway not her lungs. He then called the ER and spoke to the doctor on duty explained what was happening, that we were non-vax, that he was not to give us a hard time about it and that we would be coming right over.

It was not epiglotitis in the end. Turned out just to be croup, but that whistling/wheezing sound is symptom you can watch for. I informed myself about the symptoms of the vax preventable illnesses, because they're treatable. If you see a symptom, bring the child in. The fact that I did this was one of the major trust building factors with our doctor over the non/delayed vax issue.

The risk for SIDS is not gone at 6 months, and SIDS is associated with this vax. Not to mention that you only need 1 shot if given after age 15 months (or if you had it at 2 months, you'll only need the 2nd booster). I'd wait. We gave it at age 3, it was not high priority for me. We might let it be the first shot at age 2 for dd2. Not sure, I generally consult with our ped about which one to give based on what's going around and how the girls are doing. Neither of my children had a vax before age 2.
AnyMama is offline  
#33 of 43 Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
 
parkermgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought HIB was a problem for mostly the under 2 crowd? My ped won't even give it after age 2 regardless of whether they've had it before.
parkermgg is offline  
#34 of 43 Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM
 
EviesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Earth.
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to point out that the schedule usually includes 4 shots if started at 2 months old, but just 1 if done at 15 months old or later.

Also, HiB used to be more common, which I think is why its talked about in the Cave book. However, its quite rare now.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
EviesMom is offline  
#35 of 43 Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
 
sheilajolene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds got one dose of Hib at 9 months and he is now 12 months (that was the first, and so far, last, vax he's had ever). Obviously I was doing it later so he didn't have to get as many doses. The reaction he had was really horrible. He got the vax around 2pm. At approximately, 5pm, the screaming started. Not just crying, but hysterical screeching as though someone was really hurting him. It was absolutely horrible. I did everything I could to soothe him. He wouldn't nurse, he didn't want a warm bath, tylenol didn't help, and he threw up repeatedly from being so upset. That went on for about 36 hours. He would only sleep if he was so exhausted that he couldn't stay awake screaming. I have never experienced anything so horrible in my life. I called the doc several times during that, and they all just kept saying that this was odd because they've never heard of such a reaction.
sheilajolene is offline  
#36 of 43 Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
 
momtokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would add that, our DS had Hib and Prevnar at the same visit the other day, around 3.5 months, and his reaction was horrible. Can't really say if it was the Hib or Prevnar, or the combination of both, but I am seriously doubting giving either of them again. Similar reactions as described above - SCREAMING until falling asleep from the exhaustion of all that screaming, threw up at the doctor's office right after the shots, inconsolable for the day and then the next day slept like all day. Now he is also experiencing some hard-to-describe arm weakness. I am very afraid of meningitis but don't know how I could give these shots again considering his reaction.
momtokev is offline  
#37 of 43 Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
 
NewMom0208's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My question is, besides what is the risk of getting HiB, what is the prognosis if a child gets it, how risky it it, how is it treated.
Does it require hospitalization? Are there alternative treatment such as herbal and homeopathics
Also, how is it contracted, does the virus exists in the air?

I ask because I learned how to take care of a child with whooping cough (not nice) since I am willing to do it for the three weeks it lasts, I am not vaccinating my child against it. If he gets it, I'll help him get thorugh it.

But how about HiB?

My child is three months old, under the care of a nanny at her home. Not vaccines yet.
NewMom0208 is offline  
#38 of 43 Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
 
mamakay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in la la land, or so they say...
Posts: 8,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ok...here are the basics:

1) Hib is a bacteria that pre-vaccine, people often were colonized with asymptomatically, just like the stuff we're colonized with right now.
2)every once in a while, something goes "wrong" and the bacteria we're colonized with turns into a "bacterial infection", like an ear infection or a sinus infection, etc
3) even more rarely, people get a really really BAD bacterial infection that needs antibiotics.
4) and very very rarely, someone gets a bacterial infection that kills them before there's time to seek medical care.

That goes for Hib, pneumomococcus (the bacteria Prevnar are for) and a bunch of other bacteria we don't have vaccines for. The bacteria are all a little different in how they "act" depending on the species, but that's the nuts and bolts for most of them.
mamakay is offline  
#39 of 43 Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
 
NewMom0208's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still having such a hard time making a decision. while my son didn't have to start day care after all, I had to put him under the care of a nany at her home. so he is exposed to that family germs, she has kids in school that could bring a decease.

Also, I am having a terrible time producing milk, so he drinks 28 oz per day out of which only 2-3 oz are breast milk, the rest is formula. (I am under the care of a lactation consultant but nothing so far)

I lean towards non vaccinating, but I am terrified of him getting HIB.
Can any of you share your experience with a non vax kid that got it?
I see it is not very commom, but should he get it, how bad can it be and what happens from the long term perspective?

The mom of a friend of mine got meningitis and almost died!

IF I get the vaccine I think it will be after he is at least 6mo, he is 3mo right now and I would need one that doesn't have aluminum, mercury and such.
I'll pray I make the right decision.

This really sucks!
NewMom0208 is offline  
#40 of 43 Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
hollytheteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMom0208 View Post
I am still having such a hard time making a decision. while my son didn't have to start day care after all, I had to put him under the care of a nany at her home. so he is exposed to that family germs, she has kids in school that could bring a decease.

Also, I am having a terrible time producing milk, so he drinks 28 oz per day out of which only 2-3 oz are breast milk, the rest is formula. (I am under the care of a lactation consultant but nothing so far)

I lean towards non vaccinating, but I am terrified of him getting HIB.
Can any of you share your experience with a non vax kid that got it?
I see it is not very commom, but should he get it, how bad can it be and what happens from the long term perspective?

The mom of a friend of mine got meningitis and almost died!

IF I get the vaccine I think it will be after he is at least 6mo, he is 3mo right now and I would need one that doesn't have aluminum, mercury and such.
I'll pray I make the right decision.

This really sucks!

Hi : I'm the OP. I asked that question a while back and actually my DS just got his second dose of the HIB vaccine today! He is 9 months old...so he got his first dose at 2 months (he got all the first round of shots before i had time to research and his first ped guilted me into doing all of them) and just got his second dose today (and the prevnar vax but that was it). Just wanted to let you know that he is doing great! He cried for all of 3 minutes, started nursing and smiled like 2 seconds after that and has been his normal self all day. Not trying to say you SHOULD get the vax or SHOULD NOT, but just wanted to give you my experience so you don't only hear the negative stories.

We decided to go ahead and finish doing the HIB and Prevnar (so one more Hib shot at 18 mo i think and 2 more prevnars) and that is all we are doing for vaxes so far.

We'll let him get hep B when he's a teen if interested and will consider MMR but not til he's much older. We decided against dtap, polio, and varicella completely (oh and we don't do flu shots either). Nice to meet you

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
hollytheteacher is offline  
#41 of 43 Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 PM
 
NewMom0208's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you Holly!

May I ask
What are the main statements you used to decide on this vaccine?

I am hesitating because

1) HIB is not that common... 3 in 100.000 if that is true the chances are slim
2) The whole serotype replacement matter
3) I am terrified of preservatives such as aluminun and mercury
4) vaccines are never 100% effective
5) I was originally considering only vaccines I got myself as a child, and from those I already dicarded polio and tetanus, still researching HIB and Whooping cough. I didn't get HIB vaccine as a child
6) I've read about non-vax children and how their moms managed other illnesses when they did arise, but not HIB.

So, what are the statements you would use to describe your HIB choice?
Thank you in advance
NewMom0208 is offline  
#42 of 43 Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
hollytheteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for me it was several reasons. One being that even though it's rare, it is serious enough that if he were to get it, i would not know how to treat it nor would i trust doctors today to be able to treat it and i couldn't' live with myself knowing it was vaccine preventable.

The main reason also was that it is the lowest possible on the entire vaccine list to cause any negative reactions/side effects. Also, if you get the right brand (i'm blanking right now on the name but it's in the dr. sears book) there is no aluminum in it.

I totally respect anyone's decision not to get it, but for me, i just felt more comfortable with him being vaccinated against it. Also, my new dr is great and amazing and supportive of any vax schedule and she felt like I made the right choice going with hib and prevnar for now and revisiting the idea of other vaxes when he's older.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
hollytheteacher is offline  
#43 of 43 Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 AM
 
rredhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NewMom0208, you mentioned that your child gets formula. My son was entirely formula fed. He had one vax, the Hib, 3 times, at 6, 9, and 12 months (or thereabouts). He is just as healthy (or unhealthy, if you're a glass half empty kind of person) as a close friend's babies who are/were exclusively breastfed and not vaxxed at all. So, I wouldn't let the formula thing enter into the equation.
Here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/default.htm
you can open the CDC Pink Book. Chapter 9 is about Hib. This is a good place to start learning about the disease.
The problem is, before the vaccine was created, they didn't actually track cases of Hib. At least, from what I've read, they just tracked cases of all types of meningitis. So they're extrapolating as opposed to basing the info on hard data.
I hope this helps!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

 

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

rredhead is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off