Do you keep your baby away from those you know just had vaccinations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am wondering....if your baby/child is on a delayed/selective schedule, do you keep them away from those children you know just had a round of vaccinations? Particularly the live vaccines (MMR/oral polio/varicella)? Obviously your baby/child will be around children sometimes who may have just been vaccinated and you won't know. How much of a chance is there that your baby/child could contract the disease (live ones in vaccines) this way? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM

It could happen, but the chances are pretty low. Anyway, I wouldn't mind if my DS caught most of those diseases (except polio and maybe measles), that way he'd get good immunity with no vaccine.

I don't keep him away. I did ask the mom of the boy I babysit to let me know when he got his shots, so that I could watch my DS for signs of coming down with something, but she never did tell me... So he was exposed to any shedding that might have gone on, but he never got anything. *shrug*
#3 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 05:34 PM

There's always a chance that my child will get the chickenpox, measles, etc whether it's from someone who's been vaccinated or not.

If I were that afraid of my child getting sick, I'd probably be vaccinating right now.

(As an aside, oral polio is not currently in use in the US.)
#4 of 6 Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 AM

Chickenpox I actually wanted DD to catch, so no, I didn't worry about that one. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella, I didn't worry about much either. I figured she was still bf and they're not really so easy to catch it seems. I worry about it with DS and rotavirus though. Many mobile babies used to catch it from one another I'm sure, but their parents generally noticed when they were sick with it and avoided others; but with the vax, their parents probably shrug it off in terms of being contagious and the babes are so much younger than they'd prob have to be to have it naturally. I don't share rattles/toys between ds and other babies; I keep our own in my bag and give him those. When he's big enough to toddle over to the box at playgroup himself, I figure his immune system will also be strong enough!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM

Measles, polio and Diphtheria I worry about, but when was the last time you heard of a kid getting Diphtheria? (though I knew a girl growing up who did get it, state made us all line up for vaccinations right after) so I am relying on herd immunity for that one. I would let my kids around someone who had been recently vaccinated, but of course, lots of hand washing, nothing like fingers, toys goes in the mouth (good sanitary practices regardless of vaccination status, I think)
#6 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM

As mentioned, oral polio is not in use in the US.

I'm not concerned about chickenpox or any of the MMR, so no, we don't do anything special.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page