exemption for pre-school - help!~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds got into pre-school, and I just received the med. form. My ped. has to fill it out, including vaccinations. Ds is only selectively vaccinated, but I would like to claim religious exemption (CT has no philo. exemp.). Should I ask Ped. to leave immunization chart blank? What if she refuses? I have to have this done for next Tuesday and just got the forms yesterday!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 PM

For preschool, just have your Ped fill in what vaxes she has had and sign, saying she's in good health.

Next, print off a state religious exemption for then take it to a Notary Public (most UPS stores and Kinkos have one), and sign it in their presence not beforehand. Done! Make a copy or two for yourself and give the notorized to your preschool. They cannot keep her from enrolling or force any vaxes by law. We did the same for our 4 yr. old who has had only one round of vaxes at 6 mos.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juleskatbellesmom View Post
For preschool, just have your Ped fill in what vaxes she has had and sign, saying she's in good health.

Next, print off a state religious exemption for then take it to a Notary Public (most UPS stores and Kinkos have one), and sign it in their presence not beforehand. Done! Make a copy or two for yourself and give the notorized to your preschool. They cannot keep her from enrolling or force any vaxes by law. We did the same for our 4 yr. old who has had only one round of vaxes at 6 mos.
So they won't ? why you're religiously opposed to vaccination but have/had done some vaxes? I'm in MA and am facing the same issue.... we don't have philo exemp either... just medical or religious and so far ds#2 hasn't had any vaxes but I'm still researching which road to take in the future (if any) so for the fall I'm planning on doing a religious exempt but am wondering what if anything might happen if we do decide to select. vax......

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM

I worry that they would question why you have some vaxes and not others if this is for "religious" reasons. I hope someone with experience with this replies. I'm very curious.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would give an exemption form for religious reasons and not state that your child has had any. My ped gives my toddler/preschooler a physical and states she is in good health. he makes no statement about if she has had vaxes or not.

We partially vaxed my oldest and stopped when she had a reaction to her second DTaP shot. She has not been in any school, so I dont have a vax exemption on file for her. My 5 yr old and my 2 yr old have gone to our church's private preschool, and they are totally unvaxed, and I have given the school a physician's document stating she is in good health, and a copy of our religious exemption form.

If I choose to selectively vaccinate my children, I will not be mentioning that we have done some, I will continue to give a religious exemption.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks - I didn't know I had to fill out anything other than checking the box on the med. form!!! I guess I better do that. And yes, with a religious exemption you cannot selectively vax. It has to be all or nothing. Since we do not have a philisophical exemption, it has to be religious exemption, and I hope my ped. will leave that whole section blank... Where can I get a copy of the exemption form?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 PM

I have gone through this with 3 children now. Selective vax and religious exemptions. No one has ever questioned why my kids had some vaccines and yet I am turning in a religious exemption. I figure that if the state ever challenged our exemption that I would just say I didn't become a christian scientist until recently. I can't imagine anyone will really question a religious exemption. My oldest is now in High School and has been to 5 schools in total since preschool --- in Virginia and Ohio. No one has ever called about our vax exemption or vaxes given. My mom turned in the same exemptions for me in High school when I wanted to play sports but I also had had the required vaccines in infancy. No one asked.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Can you decline vaccines if your child is not of compulsory age? Couldn't the school/daycare refuse admission if the child could technically still be at home?

Our health forms have a required space for vaccine history; my doctor prints out his own list, which is easier for him, and types across the top, "XYZ is involved in the vaccine catch-up program." This has helped stave off issues so far; he can't have certain vaccines too close together, so we buy a lot of time this way. And since he is turning 4, there are vaccines even our pro-vax doc thinks he shouldn't have now.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 AM

Do all Pre-schools have to take exemptions? I want to enroll my son in a local preschool run by the Lutheran church, but I stopped vaxing him at 6 months. They also want a health form filled out by his pediatrician including vax records. Can they refuse admission? I really want him to go to this preschool.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM

All our preschools have been private --- I thought the same thing, that you were only protected with the exemption if the school was publically funded. But no, we have been at a Waldorf, 3 presbyterian preschools, and now one Lutheran, as well as public elementary, middle and now high schools. NO one has ever questioned our "partial vax records" along with the religious exemptions. I used to get all worried too but I'll bet they don't want to risk getting the state involved. There are so many people using these exemptions now days too, so they are used to seeing them.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry - yes, I believe privately funded preschools can still decline. He is going to go to a charter school, which includes a Pre-K program. We did not intend for him to get in so early - the waiting list for the school is horrendous, because it is the only one around - but he ended up getting a high position in their lottery, and if we turn it down, we get put at the end of a very long list! I didn't expect to have to deal with this quite so early. From what I've heard, they don't ever really give a problem for non-vaxing - many kids in the school are not vaxed - I just over-worry things a lot!!!

User Tag List