scared of vaccines and scared of the illnesses! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I canceled my 2 mo shots and decided to think about it more and do more research. I am scared of the reactions to vaccines...reason not to get them. I am scared of the diseases even though they are rare. I guess I just don't want to look back and regret my decision either way. Not looking forward to talking to my pedi about it. He is a co-worker of mine and I know it will come up sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 03:37 PM

You need to take the time to research. Look into the actual diseases and you might find that they are not nearly as scary as you have been led to believe.

Look at each disease, see how to treat it and how scared you still are..

if you are still worried, look into the vaccine. Reactions etc. You will find that there is no treatment for reactions (assuming that any one will even admit that it is a reaction).

then weigh the pro's and cons.

I also would not discuss it with a Ped...that's like herding cats! They really don't know anything about the immune system and little about the vaccines themselves. They usually don't know much about the diseases either..see other threads around here RE: misdiagnoses or horrible treatment of non vaxed kids since they don't even know what to look for).

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 PM

I felt the exact same way shortly after DS was born. Like you are darned if you do and darned if you don't. I think the best thing to do is put off all vaccines and research every one of them, and the disease they are supposed to prevent, and the chances of your child getting that disease. Then you can decide the risk/benefit for your child. I know this takes time. Others can help you with the research, but ultimately you are the one who has to decide so the more you know the better. And once you know more you will feel more confident talking to co-workers and doctors (if you feel you truly must discuss it with them).

I actually live not too far from you, so if you want to talk in person please let me know. I don't know as much about vaccines as some of the others on here, but I've learned a lot. I have links on my site.

Have you looked at the site http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/ ? Also check the archives here as they are for specific vaccines.

to you and your new baby!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Wait and research. Fear is not a good decision making tool in either direction.

Research each vaccine and each disease. Vax only if you're 100% sure of your decision.

You can always vax later.

-Angela
Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

just talked to my pedi. He says that though he is pro-vax he is supportive of us choosing not to vaccinate. He says that with parents who choose not to vaccinate he brings up the topic once a year to see if parents have any questions, but otherwise the subject is dropped. Since I have worked with him, I trust him to be honest and supportive. He listened to some of my research and was not doubtful of the info I found. I am so glad to have that conversation over and to know that he will be easy to work with! Mama is in a much better mood!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Glad to hear your doc was supportive. I was shocked to find mine was as well. She is pro-vax too, but when I mentioned the ones I didn't want done, she said sure and wrote them on the front of her chart to not even offer. She's never brought them up again.

I can understand what you mean about being scared either way. I'm in that category as well. DH and I have spent quite some time researching the ones we have given and were sufficiently more scared of the disease in those cases. We also did some research into the different manufacturers and what was in eash vaccine, so for the ones we decided to give, we could decide which "version" of it we wanted. Just know you're not alone in feeling scared either way.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM

QUOTE=alegna;11298750]Wait and research. Fear is not a good decision making tool in either direction.

Research each vaccine and each disease. Vax only if you're 100% sure of your decision.

You can always vax later.

-Angela[/QUOTE]

:

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Here are my thoughts on this: educate yourself well, exactly what alegna says. You can always go back and vax.

When my son was vax injured, no one really even knew for sure what was wrong, much less how to help him. I am fairly certain though that should he have caught any VPD's they have a treatment protocol ready to help him. I think they know far more how to treat these diseases than they do about how to treat vax injuries. So I am taking my chances with the VPD's.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 05-29-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Here are my thoughts on this: educate yourself well, exactly what alegna says. You can always go back and vax.

When my son was vax injured, no one really even knew for sure what was wrong, much less how to help him. I am fairly certain though that should he have caught any VPD's they have a treatment protocol ready to help him. I think they know far more how to treat these diseases than they do about how to treat vax injuries. So I am taking my chances with the VPD's.
I agree with the op...despite years of research I still feel so unsure...I have selectively vaxed with ds and dd #1, but with #3 I am still trying to figure things out. I am a SAHM and know I will breastfeed well over a year, but still scared of what if. I guess my question to your post is that for lots of the vaxes the first 6 months is when the disease is really risky, so I feel like I give it now to help, or don't bother. But I just can't decide....

ahhh.....sorry for ramble op, I guess mostly I just feel your pain!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariag View Post
I agree with the op...despite years of research I still feel so unsure...I have selectively vaxed with ds and dd #1, but with #3 I am still trying to figure things out. I am a SAHM and know I will breastfeed well over a year, but still scared of what if. I guess my question to your post is that for lots of the vaxes the first 6 months is when the disease is really risky, so I feel like I give it now to help, or don't bother. But I just can't decide....

ahhh.....sorry for ramble op, I guess mostly I just feel your pain!
Most vaccines are not effective until after several doses, usually taking it to 6 months or past.

-Angela
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 AM

I didn't read all the other responses but... I felt the same way when my son was born. I researched the vaccines and the diseases and decided which ones worried me and how much. For me initially I was concerned about the reactions and possible links to SIDS so we waited til 6 mos. At 6 mos I was feeling more confident and decided some vax were completely unneccesary (at least until they're older) imo. DS is now almost 1 yr and hasn't started vax yet. I'm still on the fence but may start his vax in the next year or so. For me I was very concerned about the # of vax given so frequently the 1st year. The CDC has a catch up schedule for vax though and if you look at it they give fewer vax the longer you wait.

Like now: No rotavirus b/c they don't start it past 12 wks old.
DTaP - only 4 if the 4th is given on the 4th bday or later
Polio - only 3 if the 3rd is given on the 4th bday or later
Hib - only 1 if first dose is given at 15 mos or later (what we'd do, if we get it)
Pneumoccocal - only 2 if 1st given at 12+ mos, only 1 if given at 24+ mos (still undecided here)

These are just some of the examples of ways to at least lessen the amount of vax given if you still want to give them and thats what I opted for. I may decide not to do them or some of them since I haven't started him yet but for now I'm just focusing on at least lessen his # of vax. Hope this helps you. In the end you must decide what is best for your child and you. You are his mother and no one can make these decisions for you. Only you know whats best for your individual child.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 AM

For me, and biologically speaking, and logistically, the default position is to NOT get them, unless or until you have a compelling reason TO get them. They can always be given later; they cannot be ungiven.

I'm glad to hear your pediatrician is supportive. I hope you get to a place without fear soon, whatever your decision.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM

i highly recommend dr. sears' book "The Vaccine Book." it's new so the information is pretty current. and he goes over the illnesses & the shots and the risks of each. it's really helped me make informed vaccination decisions.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecindy View Post
i highly recommend dr. sears' book "The Vaccine Book." it's new so the information is pretty current. and he goes over the illnesses & the shots and the risks of each. it's really helped me make informed vaccination decisions.

I too agree

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:

That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnurse View Post
just talked to my pedi. He says that though he is pro-vax he is supportive of us choosing not to vaccinate. He says that with parents who choose not to vaccinate he brings up the topic once a year to see if parents have any questions, but otherwise the subject is dropped. Since I have worked with him, I trust him to be honest and supportive. He listened to some of my research and was not doubtful of the info I found. I am so glad to have that conversation over and to know that he will be easy to work with! Mama is in a much better mood!
Do you mind telling me where you are in MN?? I'm looking for a ped who is at least semi supportive of non vaxing parents! You can PM me if you're willing to tell me.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 06-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:

nevermind

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 PM

those of you that can pick and choose if and when to give shots! I live in NY and am so mad- to the point where I may move, becuase there are so many mandated vaccines for school! you are so lucky that you really have a choice in the matter!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirris View Post
those of you that can pick and choose if and when to give shots! I live in NY and am so mad- to the point where I may move, becuase there are so many mandated vaccines for school! you are so lucky that you really have a choice in the matter!
You absolutely have a choice! Use a religious exemption.

-Angela
Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM

There are some threads in the archives on this subject:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=239
Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
You absolutely have a choice! Use a religious exemption.

-Angela
I keep reading that NY researches whether the objectors really are religious or are using it as a screen for vax denial. Scary. Also, I think those families get forced into refusing all vax, can't pick & choose...

I agree that Dr Sears vax book was really helpful & to not be scared into vax.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcement101 View Post
I keep reading that NY researches whether the objectors really are religious or are using it as a screen for vax denial. Scary. Also, I think those families get forced into refusing all vax, can't pick & choose...

I agree that Dr Sears vax book was really helpful & to not be scared into vax.
They can't research the objectors. The key is having a properly written objection. If you have that, you're fine.

-Angela
Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 PM

And if they are like my state, they dont ask for proof that you didnt immunize. You can say your child is unvaccinated and still have them have some vaccines. My dd has all but varicella and we still signed the exemption saying she's unimmunized.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

User Tag List