~*Names*~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another light hearted thread.
What names do you have running through your head? Even if there is no way you'd name your baby the name - what name keeps popping up? :
Girls:
Dorothy
Daria
Boys:
Drawing a complete blank most the time.
Diedrick
Dailyn
And for a name I couldn't name my babe but really like:

Dahsinaya
#2 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Names are probably one of my favorite things.
Our boy name for sure is Nesta Otis Zion...we'll call him Otis.
For a girl we like
Aravah(Willow in Hebrew)
Oceana
DP likes Padme and Manae.They are Indian and mean lotus and Jewel...I am not sold, but we'll see.
Luna
Ani
Alice will be a second middle name(after my Grammy, who is my DS's best friend!)
We had several picked out from the miscarriage in the summer. And it's funny b/c with DS, boy names were so hard. We couldn't decide and DP hated all of my names...and so he picked his name (Makena) and I didn't like it...and now girl names are hard. Maybe we're having a girl this time!
#3 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Well...I'm feeling *girl* here, so I've been thinking mostly about girl names. Here they are:
Anna Grace [ann is dh's mother's name, grace is my sister's name]
Olivia Ann
Sarah Grace
Eva Rose

For boys:
Max Evan
Brent Robert
#4 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 AM

We usually wait til almost the 3rd trimester to think of names. Mostly because we have usually found out the babes gender, so pick out a name for that sex and then a back up just in case name for the other gender.

I am pretty sure this time however that we will be naming a little boy John Leland and calling him Jack. No idea for a girl yet. Probably something with Celeste however. Whether Celeste is the first or the middle, we haven't decided yet.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#5 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Girl:
Ava Lorelei
Magdalen Rose

Boy:
Gabriel Chase
Gabriel Isaiah

If it's a boy, he will definitely be Gabriel.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#6 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 12:35 PM

girl: Sarah

boy: no idea yet

Lizzo: Oceana sounds really nice!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#7 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM

Katie, I like Dorothy with Darlene and Daphne.

We have our names already, have since Evelyn was an infant.
Boy: Corwin James
Girl: Linda Faith
#8 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Katie, I like Dorothy with your girls names, too. I don't know if you shorten them at all, but I knew someone name Dorothy and she was called Dory. I thought that was cute.

Lizzo, I know a little girl named Aravah. She's so pretty! It's just a beautiful name...so feminine, but very strong.

Usually, we have to meet our babies before we can name them. So we barely even discuss names at this point! But I do think about them all the time...

However, this time might be different. I've always wanted to name my little girl Katey. It was just never right...well, clearly it wasn't for the three boys! But even with my daughter - as much as I wanted to use that name, it didn't feel right. Might've been because I wasn't really excited about the full name versions (Katelyn, Katherine, Kathleen) but probably because she is truely a Victoria. At the very, very begining of this pregnancy a name just "came" to me - Kaitrah. And I love, love, love it! So if it is a girl, her name will be Kaitrah. And I'm sure we'll call her Katey sometimes, just not sure about the spelling of Katey. Marie will probably be the middle name, its mine and my mom's - and all the way back to my grandmom's grandmom. I always felt guilty about not using it for my first daughter. Now I think I'd feel bad for her if I used it on a second. But my grandmom did give it to her second daughter, too. So, I could. I don't know...I do like how it sounds - Kaitrah Marie. We'll see!

We don't have any boys names yet, but I like Magnus. Dh does not.

Sorry for rambling! :
#9 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 PM

One of my best friends is named Katey. That's her whole name, not katherine or katelynn or anything else, just kately.

As far as names for us... we haven't even thought of it much. I'm still in the praying there's no blood on the TP everytime I wipe stage. Once I hear the hb, I'll probably relax a bit more and start to think names.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#10 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM

No names for us yet, we agonized for weeks about what to name our puppy when we got him, I can't imagine how it will go when we start looking at baby names!!!!
I am a little concerned about the family name... on my dad's side my dad and brother are both John, my grandfather is E. John, his father was W. John, HIS father was John something... as far back as my nana could trace the firstborn son has been John or something John. I don't trust that my brother's girlfriend will let him name thier first baby John... even a middle name, but I don't feel that it's MY responsibility either, but I would feel SO guilty if I let the family name drop. *sigh* That is my connundrum and it's been bothering me for ages. Maybe I'll discuss it with my bro after I finally let the cat out of the bag about being PG!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#11 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM

We don't really have many ideas yet. All I know is this baby better be a girl or my daughter might officially disown me from the family! My DS#2 wants a boy (of course) and when we told them they were going back and forth on names, if it would be a boy or girl. Then my son's face lights up and he says "I know, mom! We could have one of both!!" My daughter says "yeah, mom. Twins!" DH and I were both .

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#12 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 PM

For a boy we peicked Johnathan Michael. Not sure for a girl though. And I have a feeling it's going to be a girl....LOL
#13 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM

For a girl I like

Anna Claire
or
Clara Rose.

No idea for a boy!
#14 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

You gals all have beautiful names picked out already!
Thanks for the commenting on Dorothy. I like it a lot and so does DH, but we thought it might be too...old fashioned? I'm pretty sure if it is a girl Dorothy will be the name!
My full name is Katie. I really hated it growing up because during the early 80's EVERY girl was named Katherine or Katrina and went by "Katie". In 8th grade I changed the spelling to "Kaydee" because I could not stand being referred to as "Katie P." because there were soooo many Katie's!
Now that I am older, I think seeing a little girl named Katie is super cute. But, I tend to roll my eyes every time I see a gal my age named Katie. :
I need to get over it
#15 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I'm still in the praying there's no blood on the TP everytime I wipe stage. Once I hear the hb, I'll probably relax a bit more and start to think names.
When do you think you will be able to hear the HB?

Also, I forgot which mama it was...I'll check after this post goes through but -I had an aunt named Celeste. She was beautiful, and kind as could be
I love that name, such fond memories
#16 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 PM

Jill, I love Kaitrah Marie. You should definitely pass on your middle name. My mom, daughter, and I have the same middle name (Joy) and I love it. Second daughter is fine.

Magnus! yeah. How about Agamemnon? A friend used to tell people when she was pregnant and they asked about names, "We're going to name him or her Agamemnon." It made them stop asking. She and her husband kinda got attached to the name, through all that, so he's Oliver Agamemnon. Love it!

I told DH he could have any first name he wants if we can give a boy the middle name TRON. He is not going for it.
#17 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Jesse
No on Twins!!!! My family is all excited that this may be twins. I'm like are ya'll efing nuts!?!?! I really want to keep a LITTLE bit of sanity.

Jill, sorry how do you prononce Kaitrah? Like Kate-raw? or Katraw? Sorry to be an el idiotia!
#18 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Jessitron - is Tron a video game or movie? I've heard it before but no idea!
#19 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 PM

TRON is a movie, the first movie to use computer animation extensively. The beginning of an era! There are video games based on it.

Kaitrah is like KATE - ruh, like Mum-ra or Cheetarah from Thundercats, right?
#20 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM

I'm finding the whole name thing daunting. I've been teaching for long enough that my list of names I will NEVER give a child has grown extensive. For some reason, all of the kids named __________ or __________ (can't bring myself to name them, I'm sure someone will have an angel with that name and I don't want to start the debate) always seem to be off the walls or more of a challenge than I can picture myself raising. But then, if I have one like me, I'll be challenged enough...

Anyone else have name avoidance issues?
#21 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
I'm finding the whole name thing daunting. I've been teaching for long enough that my list of names I will NEVER give a child has grown extensive. For some reason, all of the kids named __________ or __________ (can't bring myself to name them, I'm sure someone will have an angel with that name and I don't want to start the debate) always seem to be off the walls or more of a challenge than I can picture myself raising. But then, if I have one like me, I'll be challenged enough...

Anyone else have name avoidance issues?
I have an issue with naming my children common names. I just can't bring myself to it.
#22 of 77 Old 09-21-2006, 11:48 PM

I very much feel ...and think this is a boy ... who's first name will be Aden - after my brother...my half brother that i never met and now never will meet because he was murdered. I'm going between Edward ( which is dh & fathers middle name and deceased fil first name) & Francis ( the male version of frances which was my grandmothers name....she just passed away in June)

I have some crazy things come to mind for girls names .... not sure and hopefully won't need one.
#23 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
Also, I forgot which mama it was...I'll check after this post goes through but -I had an aunt named Celeste. She was beautiful, and kind as could be
I love that name, such fond memories

That would be me with the Celeste name. That was our second name for Allissa. It was either Allissa Valentine, or Celeste Brianne, and now I don't like the Brianne part. *sigh*

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#24 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Tron's a movie..ok - I'll check it out on Netflix Jess

Patch, I totally have avoidance issues with names! I won't name them here either, but certain names remind me of certian people and EEEEEK! Even though they are lovely names by themselves.
Lizzo, totally with you on the common names. Like, I know Darlene/Daphne/Dorothy aren't UNCOMMON but they aren't like - everyone on the block has it. Any of you go to school in the late 80's? How many Amy, Katie, and Megan's were there? I swear that was our whole female class.
#25 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

I have to choose a couple "A" middle names now...
#26 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 10:14 AM

Hmm, I was thinking Kaitrah would be pronounced Kay-tra. I hadn't thought of pronouncing it Kate-ruh. :
#27 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
Jesse
No on Twins!!!! My family is all excited that this may be twins. I'm like are ya'll efing nuts!?!?! I really want to keep a LITTLE bit of sanity.

Jill, sorry how do you prononce Kaitrah? Like Kate-raw? or Katraw? Sorry to be an el idiotia!
yeah, i thought twins would be sooo cool my first pregnancy. and there is still a smidge of me that thinks it would be cool, then I remember what the newborn stage is like with *1* baby and I'm totally cool with this being a singleton!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#28 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well we have already started the naming debate. My husband is really good about nay saying names. Our first he had not choice I said Johnny was going to be Johnny and when we were carrying our first we agreed on a girls name and came up with a name for our second boy James. When we had our 3rd I really liked Luke but dh said no because everyone in our family knew how much I loved Star wars and they would think we named him Luke after Star wars which was not true. Anyway by the second trimester I liked Levi and dh would not agree to it so when I went to Labor and was driving us to the hospital yes I was driving (do not ask) I pulled off the freeway and said what is it going to be and dh could not make up his mind. The older boys were in the back screaming Levi and then I had a big contraction, which scared dh so he just agreed so we could get the hospital. So then 5 months later I am pregnant with number 4 and I tell dh pick 3 boys names and I will choice one of the 3 or else I get my choice of Liam. As we are driving to go have number 4 dh had not bothered to pick any names so Liam it was. Now dh loves the boys names and cannot imagine them named anything different. Oh by the way after Liam was born Star Wars had come out and everyone asked me if I named him after Liam Neson. :
We have started early with trying to name this baby. As I said before the girls name has been picked out now for almost 17 years and we are sticking with it but dh and I cannot agree on a boys name at all. Of course he says nah to everything. I really like Anakin but of course dh is back on the Star Wars thing yet again. I also like Avery, Levon and Rhyss which dh says NO and some other words. So I have been threaten him with Smooley, telling him Smooley has a nice ring for it. Go outside and call Smooley in see what I mean and when you are upset with Smooley, say Smooley Smooley Smooley. It really goes.

Heidi
#29 of 77 Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM

My DH rejects every name I think of. I have no idea how we got a name for DD#1, but it wasn't for a few days after the birth- that I remember. He puts each name through the 'How can this name be made fun of by 5th graders' test. Ridiculous. Esp. since every name can be made fun of in some way. He is OK with a girl having an unusual name, but not a boy. Sexist, eh?

I have had a unusual name all my life (!) and I have a real aversion to common names. Why is everyone named the same thing? There were two girls in my class in school with the EXACT same name- Christina Michelle Smith. How awful for them! And I grew up in the era of Michelles. Tonnes of them.

I like Savanna & Delia. But I don't even try with boys names.

DH likes the name he had before he was formally adopted: Shawn. Not sure if it came from his biological mom or the agency he was in for 4 months. Its common but he's got me on the sentimentality factor. I'd love to think having a baby was helping him heal from all that.
#30 of 77 Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaberd View Post

DH likes the name he had before he was formally adopted: Shawn. Not sure if it came from his biological mom or the agency he was in for 4 months. Its common but he's got me on the sentimentality factor. I'd love to think having a baby was helping him heal from all that.
This is a really neat idea. I think it could bring healing and closure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page