Brewer Diet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last pregnancy we took Bradley classes and tried to follow the Brewer diet. It worked very well for us, and we'll start in on it earlier this time.

Diet summarized here: http://www.bradleybirth.com/PD.aspx

This spreadsheet was really helpful. We had lots of trouble finding it again so I'm posting it here to make it easier for you guys:

http://www.bradleybirth.com/download/PregnancyDiet.XLS

In fact, following the Brewer diet last pregnancy caused DH to take a look at his diet and start watching what he eats. He's since been doing low-GI, then Zone, and now is looking at Paleo. Whatever works, I say, since he's lost 30lb and looks great. So pregnancy diets have multiple uses!
#2 of 21 Old 09-25-2006, 04:43 PM

Well....I'd never heard of the Brewer diet but followed your link, and had to read down to number 4 before I found something that I eat!!

You've prompted me to go research diet better tho--I've been veg for 10 years and just generally was more careful about eating enough whole/natural foods when I was pg before. But over the past few years I've gotten more strict about my diet, avoiding dairy etc, so...yep. Time to re-evaluate!

...um, any other veggies/vegans/near-vegans here?? Just wondering...

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#3 of 21 Old 09-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi! Thanks for posting this! I'm printing the diet out now and I'm gonna work on incorporating all that into my daily diet!

Thanks,
Pam
#4 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 AM

I (loosely) followed the Brewer diet with my last pregnancy. I stayed very healthy the whole time.... My midwife cited my diet as the source for our 10lb 2 ounce baby.... She said all the Bradley babies she delivered were large....

I'll follow it again this time, but maybe this baby won't be QUITE as large! I'm sure I'll be fine even if it is though....
#5 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Great worksheet - thank you!!!

Right now I am have so much trouble following any kind of diet. All I can keep down are crackers. All my grand NT ideals are going down the toliet - I posted a big long thing about it in the NT forum. I am so scared that my lack of nutrition right now is going to hurt the baby. Its so scary.
#6 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 PM

Another Bradley Mom here! I loved the diet last time and it helped with feeling low energy and sick A LOT! I eat much of this already. I am trying to do it again now, but struggling with an overwhelming schedule and everything making me feel ill! Soon I should be in the swing of it again!

I really need the sheet to do it and it won't download onto my computer for some reason - I had tried before, when we first found out, and now again with your link. Any want to let me pay you to send me a copy so I can run off some worksheets and use them, pretty please

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#7 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
...um, any other veggies/vegans/near-vegans here?? Just wondering...
I am veggie, no milk, no eggs unless hidden in something (but I eat cheese, yogurt)!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#8 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I really need the sheet to do it and it won't download onto my computer for some reason - I had tried before, when we first found out, and now again with your link. Any want to let me pay you to send me a copy so I can run off some worksheets and use them, pretty please
Send me your home email address, I was able to save it as a regular excel file and can email it to you as an attachment if you want. If you want a pdf of the worksheet I can do that too.

Kristen

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#9 of 21 Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks! Someone else tried emailing it also (and thank you again) but it got scrambled (I suspect it is a Mac thing) so a pdf would be great! Emailing you now!

#10 of 21 Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 AM

veggie with vegan leanings

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#11 of 21 Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 AM

last time i was pg i developed MTLP so i downloaded the Brewer ebook. i hope it is gonna work.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#12 of 21 Old 09-27-2006, 08:03 AM

It looks like a healthy enough diet, though IMHO a little low on the veggies part. However, it's not like I am eating a whole lot of those at the moment. In fact, I think a hot pocket was my last meal.
Hmm...I think I will try to follow it.

I don't want a bigger baby than I've already had though! UGH! I am pretty sure anything over 9 pounds 8 ounces will kill me.

#13 of 21 Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 AM

I finally have it printed and ready! Thank so much for the help!

And, I don't think this diet makes bigger babies - I had an almost 9 (but dh was 10.5 and I was almost 9) and the women in my class all had smaller babies including a 6.5 (full term). So, I won't worry too, too much about that. My MW last time said refined carbs in the last two months made for big babies.

And, for me, since I don't eat meat, I switch things around a bit to have more veggies and veggie based protien. Our Bradley teacher last time helped me with it a bit and it worked great.

#14 of 21 Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Krystal323 I'm mostly vegan. I'm following the blood type diet.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#15 of 21 Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 AM

I followed the sheet, tracking everything and getting the target rnage of protien, leafy greens, Vit C, and such and yesterday was my best feeling day in weeks! That was what I remembered from ds - I felt great when I was doing the Brewer's a felt like vomiting and had no energy when I was not.

Thanks again for the pdf!

#16 of 21 Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM

No problem, glad that worked for you!

I looked through the Brewers Diet and that is mostly how we eat anyways, except more veggies and less carbs.... or at least we TRY to eat less carbs. The thing that bugs me about the Brewer diet is the carbs. I have a high rate of Type 2 diabetes in my family and high carb consumption has been linked to it, so we try to eat less carbs and more veggies. I have MAJOR carb cravings some days though, and these days, I just eat them, but I try to spread them out over the day and not binge!!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#17 of 21 Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 PM

I eat low carb also and I am doing okay with the Brewer's diet because I only eat whole grains (like sprouted 7 grain bread, oatmeal - not snacks like pretzels or processed carbs) and if I do not get 4 in a day, I just don't care! Yesterday I had a sandwich for lunch and that was two servings for the bread and that was all I had.

#18 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 12:08 AM

does this diet help with nausea? i am going on 14 weeks now and am still feeling the all day nausea...
#19 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

It does, because it gives you plenty of protein. If that's a cause of your nausea, then it'll help. Be sure to spread the food out in small meals, too.
#20 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
does this diet help with nausea? i am going on 14 weeks now and am still feeling the all day nausea...
I think it does. I took Bradley classes with my last pregnancy and I had the misfortune to vomit through my entire pregnancy. It got better when I started the Brewer diet. I was only throwing up once or twice a day.

This time around I started the Brewer diet first thing. I have yet to have any nausea. I'm just astonished at this. The only thing that is different is my diet, so I think that's it.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#21 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 09:55 PM

I'm going to give this a try. I'm trying everything I can to have a full term birth this time. I have had a hard time gaining weight the last two pregnancies, so maybe a structured diet all laid out will help

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page