Measuring big already? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies,

I went to my dr. last night for my first prenatal appointment (I'm 9 1/2 weeks) and she was impressed with the very large size of my uteris... she thinks I may be wrong about my dates (I know I'm not) or that there might, possibly, be more than one babe in there:scare

How accurate do you think that uterine measurements are this early? She said it felt like I was something like 13 weeks along... I'm seriously hoping that I was somehow wrong for my dates, or that there something else going on with just ONE baby down there. She's booking me for an ultrasound over the next week or two to see what is going on...

:
#2 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM

I don't know if I'm actually measuring big, but man am I ever huge! I had to break out the maternity clothes already and I am only 9 weeks.
MizLiz, are you in the metro area? I'm a fellow Nova Scotian.
#3 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM

Well...it's pointless really to measure a uterus that early...however, the uterus doesn't usually rise above the pubic bone untill 12 weeks.
I have a friend who came to visit us a month ago at 9 weeks and she was showing already. Her midwife did an ultrasound and sure enoguh...two babies. I don't want to scare you! But...that happens. It's pretty suspicious that the doc felt your uterus above your pubic bone already.
#4 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

My uterus is about halfway to my belly button (way above the pubic bone), but I'm not really showing yet (but I did just start wearing mat pants cause everything feels tight). But, yeah, if I am right about my dates, than I do think I have a way above average size uterus, and I'm a little stressed about it... this babe wasn't planned (well, we did want another baby but not for awhile), and the timing really isn't great... Two babies right now sounds pretty scary to me... I'm sure we'll cope with whatever happens, though, and maybe I am wrong, somehow, with my calculations (or just big for some reason).

lolalola - yes, I'm in Dartmouth. Where are you?
#5 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
Well...it's pointless really to measure a uterus that early...however, the uterus doesn't usually rise above the pubic bone untill 12 weeks.
I have a friend who came to visit us a month ago at 9 weeks and she was showing already. Her midwife did an ultrasound and sure enoguh...two babies. I don't want to scare you! But...that happens. It's pretty suspicious that the doc felt your uterus above your pubic bone already.
Well...I'm scared now Lizzo!
#6 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
lolalola - yes, I'm in Dartmouth. Where are you?
Me too!
#7 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Geez y'all.... way to scare me!! gosh, now I'm wondering if I'm where I'm suppose to be! this is our first baby, so I really wouldn't tell if it 'felt different'..... I never really thought about if we had more than one..... : I think my husband would have a heart attack! we would be thrilled but.... yikes.... keep me posted!
#8 of 24 Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 PM

Oh--wow! I haven't had my first dr. appt yet...I'm thinking they never measured me until the 2nd trimester. I can't wait to hear how your u/s goes!!!
#9 of 24 Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 AM

Last time around I didn't get any fundal "feels" until she started measuring at the end of my 2nd trimester. I always have a hard time feeling my uterus until I am at least like 16-18 weeks, so I have no idea if it is in the right place or not. Please keep us updated.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#10 of 24 Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM

Hey Liz! Just wanted to tell you that I went to visit a birth center today and they also think that since there is such a big discrepancy in the dates 8 weeks vs 14 that I should just do an external ultrasound to see if its twins or what it is. So at least I have a second opinion that I trust! Let's just hope we both have one and if more, than we will be in it together!
#11 of 24 Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rachel,

It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one going through something 'unusual' this time around... sometimes I think I'm having twins (or more!), sometimes I think I'm just measuring big for no reason, sometimes I scare myself and think that there might be something wrong (only because I had a bit of spotting - light pink - very early on, and this pg is really so different than my other two were)... I can easily get myself worked into quite a state, lately!

I'm sure all will go well for both of us... I think my one of my concerns with having more than one babe would be that it would seriously decrease my chances of having a VBA2C, which I was really hoping for... that and the fact that I'd suddenly have double the kids that I have already, the fact the we drive a Toyota Echo (now that would NOT work with a family of six!), how will I keep homeschooling my kids when I'm so busy with new babes, etc.

I just want to find out what is happening in my uterus! I don't have an appointment for u/s yet and the wait is sometimes long here (grr!). On one hand I'm glad to know that my dr doesn't consider anything of my pg to be 'high risk' (or I'd have had an u/s by now), but I'm going a bit batty : !

Take care and let's keep each other posted!
#12 of 24 Old 10-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiemom View Post
Last time around I didn't get any fundal "feels" until she started measuring at the end of my 2nd trimester. I always have a hard time feeling my uterus until I am at least like 16-18 weeks, so I have no idea if it is in the right place or not. Please keep us updated.
I had a hard time feeling my uterus also, until someone suggested that I lay flat on the floor (bed doesn't work), and you should be able to feel your uterus (just feels like a lump) above your pubic bone by about 10 wks. (I think) Keep in mind your uterus might be in different places-like leaning off to the side if you have to pee- at that stage. Good luck!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#13 of 24 Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What does it mean to be showing? My tummy is definitely bigger now, and I'm wearing size 12 jeans instead of size 8 like before, (and my legs are swimming in them, LOL), but I doubt anyone would notice that I'm pregnant when I'm clothed. I'm 8 weeks, 5 days. I haven't had my first appointment yet.
#14 of 24 Old 10-09-2006, 02:59 PM

Well, unfortunately we are coming into the "fat" phase. Where you just seem to look fat, not pregnant. With my first, I didn't start to look pregnant until around 20 weeks. It's so frustrating to be pregnant and just look fat for the first few months. I wish I had a cute baby bump, but no, I have a protruding, bloated belly.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#15 of 24 Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM

i found that ifi wear maternity pants and shirt that my FAT looks like prego belly!! lol just trying not to tell people i am only 11 weeks i look more like 20 when in the right clothes!! in sweats and tshirt i look fat and slobby...... oh i can't wait to have a real baby bump again so i don't feel silly and fat.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#16 of 24 Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got my ultrasound booked and I don't get to have it until Oct. 24th! I can't believe I have to wait that long : ! I'm so eager to find out what is going on that I think I'm going to lose my mind before I finally manage to get the test and see what is happening in my uterus.

I've found this pg really stressful, with it being a big surprize, a bit of spotting, and now having to wait to find out why I'm measuring way off my dates... I bet in the end that it will just be one healthy baby but I am feeling pretty impatient right now!

I'll let you know in a couple of WEEKS what happens!
#17 of 24 Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
I finally got my ultrasound booked and I don't get to have it until Oct. 24th! I can't believe I have to wait that long : ! I'm so eager to find out what is going on that I think I'm going to lose my mind before I finally manage to get the test and see what is happening in my uterus.

I've found this pg really stressful, with it being a big surprize, a bit of spotting, and now having to wait to find out why I'm measuring way off my dates... I bet in the end that it will just be one healthy baby but I am feeling pretty impatient right now!

I'll let you know in a couple of WEEKS what happens!
Bummer!! I really want to know!!!! haha
#18 of 24 Old 10-11-2006, 04:32 PM

Grrrr! That is really irritating. They should get you in tomorrow or something so that the rest of us don't have to wait either.

#19 of 24 Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM

oh bummer, mama. here's to a fast couple of weeks for you!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#20 of 24 Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM

I had my first mw appointment at 10 weeks and she said that my uterus was enlarged. I'm back next week to double check it.
All this talk about twins is really freaking me out!:

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#21 of 24 Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 PM

Any news, MizLiz?
#22 of 24 Old 10-24-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies,

I just went today for my ultrasound and it's just one baby (thank goodness!) and I am measuring two weeks ahead (my new due date is April 24, now). I am so relieved - I had convinced myself that I was having anything from quintuplets, to giant fibroids, to any number of combinations of the two.

It was pretty shocking when the tech told me just one... I think this will make the transition of two to three kids much easier, as I was mentally preparing for a whole bunch of babies at once!
#23 of 24 Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM

ohh MizLiz, congrats on only one in there!!

although i must admit after reading this thread i am freaking out about twins myself!!

my midwife-friend felt my belly at 7-8 weeks and said it felt the normal size for one baby but i sure *feel* big at this point...

now i really can't wait to go see her this week!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#24 of 24 Old 10-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Yay for only one baby! I imagine that being a couple weeks farther along didn't bother you too much either. After all, those are weeks you don't have to go through again now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page