Water Birth - Mothering Forums
May 2007 > Water Birth
Navy_Mommy's Avatar Navy_Mommy 08:27 PM 10-08-2006
Has anyone done both a 'traditional birth' and a water birth? Are they really as different as they sound? The things that I have been reading, seem to make water birth be the most logical choice for experiencing birth. However, I did read this at a site about water birth exclusivelly, so I acknowledge that it is biased.

--Kathryn

darsmama's Avatar darsmama 09:19 PM 10-08-2006
All I've done are waterbirths. Honestly, I can't imagine me doing it any other way at all. None.
charmander's Avatar charmander 09:27 PM 10-08-2006
I've done both, and I wish both were waterbirths.

I think that part of it was that my traditional birth occured at a hospital, and my waterbirth occurred at home - being at home was key my peaceful and pleasant birth. The water helped with the pain and just felt good to be in.
Synchro246's Avatar Synchro246 09:32 PM 10-08-2006
I really hope that I get to use water more for this labor. My last was such that the mw kept telling me to get out (she thought it was slowing my labor down) and when I transfered to the hospital they didn't "allow" me to labor in the water because my amnion had already broken: . I don't know if I could have fought that or not .
I'm definitly planning on having a tub prepared this time. I don't know if it will be the aqua-doula brand one or not. (I secretely hope that our tax return is big enough to pay the mw and buy a hot tub)
UltimateSerj's Avatar UltimateSerj 10:13 PM 10-08-2006
i have only had water births and i also can't imagine doing it any other way!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 10:16 PM 10-08-2006
oh I am so jealous!!

I have delivered 5 babies now and dream of a water birth. I would have to do it at home if I did it. Now I gotta find that traveling midwife!
Synchro246's Avatar Synchro246 10:17 PM 10-08-2006
Where in Alaska are you?
Slingin'Momto4's Avatar Slingin'Momto4 10:35 PM 10-08-2006
I have had 3 traditional hospital births with no water and 2 home water births and my water births were soo much better!!! I regret having my 3 first children at the hospital without water after having my home water births. It helps the pain, helps to relax me and its just a totally different experience that I really can't explain! Its awesome
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 10:46 PM 10-08-2006
I have had 3 births
The first I labored in water but birthed on land
The second I labored and birthed in water
The third I wanted to birth in water but she came so fast I couldn't get into the tub : I took an hour to clean house and then laid down to rest and that was it.

The pain control with water is incredable

With my third being it was to late to get into water i used a rice bag heated in the microwave and that heat from that really helped
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 11:02 PM 10-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Where in Alaska are you?
Fairbanks
Navy_Mommy's Avatar Navy_Mommy 12:25 AM 10-09-2006
Hmm.. ok, so it sounds like it really is 'all it's cracked up to be'. I wonder how my husband would feel about doing it at home. Because I am REALLY sure our hospital wouldn't do that. Plus, I like the idea of already being home. No 'getting kicked out' plus, waiting a few days before placing my first born in a car.... Do you know if it is a problem if you live in an apartment??????? We are on the 2nd floor, and I know a local place where you can rent the tub, but I don't know about it being in an apartment. As of right now, water is sounding great. I want to be able to have a clear head for my first baby! I've seen how groggy a mom can be after she has taken the epidural... and I really hate feeling that way! : I also know that if we do have it at home, I don't think location will hold much sentiment. We'll be moving either a month or 2-3 months after the baby is born to Georgia. But an intimate birth sounds great. I hated all the nurse switching, drugs, and impersonal nature of a hospital. (I view my mother's New Born Nursery Nurse job in a whole different light now) My mom will be speechless if I do this. oh well!
Synchro246's Avatar Synchro246 10:40 AM 10-09-2006
Alright Katherine! I hope your family understands (they all take a little education).
I know that you can homebirth in an apartment, but I don't know about putting a tub on a second floor. Hmmmm. I'm going to be pondering this

wanderinggypsy's Avatar wanderinggypsy 12:13 PM 10-09-2006
I'm still torn between home and hospital. The hospital I would be using is lovely... the birthing suites all have huge jacuzzi tubs... that in itself is almost enough to convince me to go to the hospital. Plus the staff there is great with midwives, and they will stay out of our hair unless we really need them. Yes, I"m leaning in that direction. I like the thought of labouring in a nice warm jacuzzi! Plus I'm HypnoBirthing, and I've heard that the staff at the hospital are totally supportive of that, too.
Jilian's Avatar Jilian 12:19 PM 10-09-2006
Thanks for this thread! I was wondering the same thing. My last birth was in the hospital on the bed and I'm hoping for a waterbirth this time. For some reason water did not appeal to me during my last labor - they had a tub for me and everything.
Eaglevoice's Avatar Eaglevoice 02:21 PM 10-09-2006
I had dd in the water in my apartment. It was perfect! I'm planning another home/water birth in my apartment this time. I just didn't tell the apartment manager what I was planning since we had to sign a waiver saying we wouldn't have a water bed due to risk of water damage... But you lay plastic sheeting on the floor to catch any splashes or drips, so you really don't have to worry about it leaking. As far as the sentimental part, I don't think that's what it's all about for me. I actually moved a few months after Katelynn was born and didn't have a hard time with it. I don't do homebirths for the sentiment, I do it for the safety and comfort of myself and my baby. Home births are much safer, in hospitals there are so many interventions and 30% of hospital births end in C-section, normally due to unneccessary interventions. My good friend just recently had a hospital birth. They had so many tubes hooked up to her, including a catheter, that she felt claustrophobic. when we were compairing our birth stories, she said that she wished she would have listened to me about home birth before she decided to birth at the hospital.
darsmama's Avatar darsmama 01:13 AM 10-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy View Post
I'm still torn between home and hospital. The hospital I would be using is lovely... the birthing suites all have huge jacuzzi tubs... that in itself is almost enough to convince me to go to the hospital. Plus the staff there is great with midwives, and they will stay out of our hair unless we really need them. Yes, I"m leaning in that direction. I like the thought of labouring in a nice warm jacuzzi! Plus I'm HypnoBirthing, and I've heard that the staff at the hospital are totally supportive of that, too.
I would be very clear on if the jacuzzis are safe to birth in, or just their for labor. At a hospital near where I live, they claim to have "water births"...
Come birth time you can squat above water and birth the baby, but you cannot be emerged in the water. :
Eaglevoice's Avatar Eaglevoice 01:23 AM 10-10-2006
You squat above the water?? And birth the baby into the water?? Isn't that dangerous? It's my understanding that to have a safe waterbirth you need to birth the baby while submerged so they don't have a chance to take a breath of air. When they are birthed into the water, they won't breathe until they get into the air, but if they are birthed into air then they will instinctually breathe and could drown if they went under water after that.
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 10:10 AM 10-10-2006
Both of my births would be what you'd call "traditional" in the sense that they took place at the hospital. With my dd, I laboured for awhile in the tub, but because the hos. was not properly equipped to do a waterbirth, the water kept getting cold and uncomfortable and I ended up birthing her from a squat position on the bed. The water was nice though, I probably would have birthed her there if it stayed warm! Talk with your health-care providers and find out what's available to you. Both the hospital and my OB are very *progressive* in terms of empowering women to have a *natural* birth experience.
darsmama's Avatar darsmama 02:47 PM 10-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
You squat above the water?? And birth the baby into the water?? Isn't that dangerous? It's my understanding that to have a safe waterbirth you need to birth the baby while submerged so they don't have a chance to take a breath of air. When they are birthed into the water, they won't breathe until they get into the air, but if they are birthed into air then they will instinctually breathe and could drown if they went under water after that.

I am assuming the CNM caught the baby before it dropped into the water. Honestly, it sounds like such a PITA, I'm sure they don't really even do the Waterbirths there. This info is like 3 years old too, what I learned when I called around.
jessitron's Avatar jessitron 04:37 PM 10-11-2006
The difference between normal birth and water birth around here, the water is the least of it. Water is just one of the thousands of options available at home but restricted in the hospital.
I labored in a big tub a good bit of the last birth. Never had the desire to give birth in the water, but it was fantastic for labor.

We put the tub of water on the 2nd floor, by the way. Not a problem. Just take extra precautions to avoid leaks and overflows. A friend of mine had her birth tub on the 2nd floor, and while it was filling everyone fell asleep, and it overflowed and ruined 2 wooden floors and a ceiling!
jenger's Avatar jenger 02:59 AM 10-12-2006
Hi All, Visiting from April DDC

Kathryn
A 'Homebirth' dosen't necessarily have to take place at your home! When we were looking around for options (as we still are) my husband and I were thinking, why do a home birth here? We just live in a dumpy rental, we have no ties to this place. Then someone said that here friend was 'homebirthing' at another home. One with a birthing tub, a fireplace, etc. Maybe you have a good friend or relative who you'd be comfortable with, that would host your homebirth?
Just a thought
Navy_Mommy's Avatar Navy_Mommy 12:33 PM 10-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenger View Post
Hi All, Visiting from April DDC

Kathryn
A 'Homebirth' dosen't necessarily have to take place at your home! When we were looking around for options (as we still are) my husband and I were thinking, why do a home birth here? We just live in a dumpy rental, we have no ties to this place. Then someone said that here friend was 'homebirthing' at another home. One with a birthing tub, a fireplace, etc. Maybe you have a good friend or relative who you'd be comfortable with, that would host your homebirth?
Just a thought
Umm... that's a nice thought... but I'm really not comfortable doing that. The reason I like the idea of a true HOMEbirth is so I am already at home, and don't like to be around alot of people or strange (or not so strange) places when I don't feel good. I like to be home. When I have a cold, I just want to be at home with my husband. The thought of borrowing a house for the birth... sounds really odd to me.. and very uncomfortable. Thank you very much for your suggestion, but if I chose to do this at home, home is where I'll be.
rachellanigh's Avatar rachellanigh 05:47 PM 10-14-2006
Yes, they are completely differnent. Your labor will be less intense with a water birth and overall you will have a 100% experience with water birth...unless that is you don't like water. )

I'm doing water birth next!! I did labor in a shower with #1 even that was wonderful.
Eaglevoice's Avatar Eaglevoice 07:28 PM 10-14-2006
I spent a good amount of time in the shower during labor as well.
Up