Mothering Forum banner

Can we talk about money?

957 views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  tangomoon 
#1 ·
I know that I should probably post this over in Frugality & Finances, but it's sort of pregnancy related as well... so here it is.

I'm trying to come up with some ways to make some extra money before May. I'd like to have my two credit cards paid off by then as well as Jason's two, and maybe even have a significant chunk of his car paid off. I need to come up with some money for a down-payment for a car for me (my car wouldn't really hold two car seats), and for the sake of dreaming, I'd like a savings account too.

Normally if I wanted to make a little extra money, I'd apply to a few restaurants or something and try to pick up one or two extra shifts. However, I'm wondering if that's really fair considering the preggo state. I was thinking alternatively, maybe I could advertize as a babysitter or try to do a little housecleaning.

Anyone else thinking along these lines too? Anyone have any bright ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
With my last pg, I worked for a temp company and did receptionist stuff for different companies until I was ready to stop working.

#5 ·
I hate talking about money, it makes me want to cry. I ignore my debt as much as possible... it is on a regular payment plan and automatic withdrawl so I don't have to look at it.
: My only saving grace is that I have three grandparents still living and therefore three inheritances coming my way, but hopefully (but not realistically) they are still a long ways off.

My work offers "peicework" and that is tax free work, weird tax laws in Canada. And I tutor on the side.... and am trying to sell my motorcycle but no one seems to be biting on it. Some guy phoned and didn't show up two days in a row, that makes me mad, it is SO inconsiderate. Other than that, there is no extra income coming in... DH can't make more or his ex will drag him back into court for more child support, even though her and her partner make WAY more than we do.

#9 ·
ARGH, i am in about the same boat as you Kristen, we've been on a debt-management plan for over a year and as far as i'm concerned, i'm just upset i can't get more credit when i need it so badly!

i make waldorf dolls and glass-bead/gemstone chip jewellry, but there's not a lot of market for that kind of stuff locally. i plan to start ebaying those things when i can get more organized about it, hehe...

one thing: IMO, anything you have to get rid of, don't underestimate its earning potential on ebay!
i once sold a $15 pair of those gel bra insert thingies on there, and they went for 56 bucks!

sigh....good luck to all of us broke mamas here

#10 ·
I just wanted to post here in support. What helps me get on top of money issues is getting it all down on paper and make a plan. Sometimes I actually carry all the way through with the plan! But even if I don't, I usually make a good dent in things before unexpected things start coming up.

I'd really really like to get started being able to save money and put money away for retirement. My husband and I are both self-employed and always have been so we have no company putting money away for us (or paying for healthcare for us for that matter!).

It seems like we have been in "acquire" mode for 10 or so years now, and while we plan to build a new house sometime in the next 2-3 years I hope we can mostly stop spending so much money. Somehow... But still I think trying to spend less money is easier than trying to make more.

#11 ·
I wanted to post my support to. A job sounds like a good plan, as does selling whatever you can (also, that will make room for all the baby stuff you will likely acquire).

I really wanted to pay off our home equity loan before buying a new car and I was going to try to make due in my 1998 honda civic with two carseats in the rear, but now I am starting to think that the interest we would save isn't worth me driving a car that's has a safety concern listed on the government crash test site for precicely the seats where my kids will be sitting.

SOOOO I am going to bite the bullet and stay in debt a while longer
:

#12 ·
I agree that spending less money can definitely aid in this too. Our first year of marriage dh and I paid off all of our debt, which was $14,000, and no we did not make a lot of money..maybe $32,000 combined. We really EXTREMELY frugal. Some examples: we had only $15 ea. a month for fun money; went out to eat only once a month; figured out what was the lowest amount we could spend on food and bought all off brands and cut out sweets and snacks and sodas. Dh sold his nice pickup and bought an older model. All of our tax return and wedding money went towards the debt as well. It was REALLY tough and no fun, but we did it and it was so wonderful to live debt free.

Maybe you already do some of that, but I know that $2 here and $1 there adds up quickly and can really eat away at debt effectively.

Good luck mama!

#13 ·
I agree, saving just a few dollars here and there adds up. And so does Spending a few dollars here and there. My mother calls it frittering... amazing how fast $20 goes on newspapers, bottled water, etc. We managed to skip our weekly pizza last night, and I'm hoping we can continue to skip it regularly instead of indulging regularly!

#14 ·
It sounds like a noble plan, mama. I hope something comes to you that will allow you to do those things.

DH and I are being very careful with what we spend. We are paying down our debt like crazy and will be debt free (hopefully!) by early spring. Then we'll start looking for a house to buy and go into debt again.
At least it'll be an asset in the long run. I really could care less about how much more $$ DH will likely make in the future. I will just be soooo happy when our debt is gone and we can start using that $$ for more useful pursuits. Savings accts., retirement etc.

#15 ·
I know a mom who is doing after school childcare in someone's home. She can bring her FOUR children and is making an extra $120/week. Not bad for a couple hour's work in the after school hours when her kids might be stir crazy anyway. I'd consider that myself, but I feel tired and crappy that time of day.
But I thought I'd mention it.

#16 ·
Do you have any skills that would allow you to teach? Like, for example, music/voice lessons, after-school tutoring, art, cooking, calligraphy, etc.. I have given horseback riding lessons in the past. It's something I enjoy, and love to share with others. I don't make a TON of money, but sometimes, every little bit helps.

#17 ·
I totally empathize on the money woes. My DH is self-employed and I SAH. We have student loan debt, CC debt, vehicle debt, and so on.

I've done the babysitting thing and it's not for me, at least not when I'm pg. It just makes me crazy for some reason and I find it hard to focus enough on each child and give my kids what they need. I'm not saying it won't work for anyone else, it's just not for me.

Money is veeeery tight around here and we do the best we can. I can't say that I'm unhappy, though. I'm the happiest I've ever been, tiny house and all!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBaby View Post
Then we'll start looking for a house to buy and go into debt again.
At least it'll be an asset in the long run.
Exactly, an asset. See, I don't consider our mortgage to be a debt... it's a payment that we make, but not a debt.... because really, our property value has doubled since we bought (less than 4 years ago) so chances of us ever LOSING money on the house are about zero. It is an investment.

And I agree, try looking into tutoring. It's a great way to make a few extra bucks. There are parents out there that are simply fed up with trying to do homework with thier kids. The kids just refuse to work for/with their parents but will happily work with someone else. I work with a 9yr old who has some behaviour problems and will NOT do homework with his mom, but he and I spend a happy 30 min 2x a week to work on his reading, spelling and math. I also work with his severly LD brother, age 7, and his other brother (just so he doesn't feel left out, age 5). The other kids I tutor are generally high-school age kids having difficulty with math and science, and there are lots of kids that struggle with English classes (ESL kids and non-ESL!). Depending on what you're tutoring or if you're just helping with homework you can charge anywhere from $10-50/hr depending on your community and stuff too. Certainly worth looking into. It brings home an extra mortgage payment a month for us.

#19 ·
An x-mas job sounds like a good idea, and selling off things you don't need anymore, and cutting down on buying is, of course, always helpful! I work part time from home and it is great - I also did childcare from my hoe when ds was little which is good money around here but in other places I know it pays awful. I made about $2000+ a month from watching on little girl (some son's best friend), all cash. Not bad.

Depending on where you live, you can also try doing consumer groups and such (they often pay $100 for an hour of your thoughts on their products) and I know some people do surveys and such on-line to make some extra money.

#20 ·
Oh, I almost forgot. When I was growing up my parents used to take in boarders. It was almost always someone that my dad had working for him on a work term for a co-op placement at the nearest university, so it was someone he knew and was safe to have around. One of the moms near me has a 10yr old exchange student living with her for a year, visiting from China to learn english, and the agency pays her $800/mnth.... something to look into if you are in a larger urban center. But, as mommy2gabriel pointed out, if having extra kids, or even adults around would drive you nuts or take away too much time from your family, then it might not be for you.

#21 ·
The tutoring idea is a great one - I will definitely check it out. Maybe I can run a small ad in the paper next week. I would LOVE to do after school care, but in Washington it's illegal to advertize yourself as a babysitter unless you are certified through DSHS. I could probably put a few fliers up in coffee shops, etc without getting into too much trouble though.

I think I will talk to a few friends at a natural food store here about winter work - I would happily work Saturday and Sunday, and maybe even one or two evenings a week since I get off work so early.

Our office also just lost our cleaning lady, so I think I will talk to the boss about picking that up. She did two hours for $30, cash. An extra $120 a month could be a car payment for a car for me!

Oh you ladies provided so much incentive! Thank you, thank you!
I feel recharged.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one View Post
The tutoring idea is a great one - I will definitely check it out. Maybe I can run a small ad in the paper next week.
You can also put up a flyer at your local schools, that's free. Some schools you have to check with the front office for permission to post on the bullentin boards.

#23 ·
Money has never been tighter. The Navy isn't giving us the 'married' rate, and our rent only leaves us with about 200. We are floundering. I would get a job, but I HAVE to be gone for a few weeks during December. And no job will let me do that, I know that. And I've thought about just waiting till Jan. But I don't know if we can afford for me to wait that long. Hopefully on the 15th, his paycheck will be straightened out. But if not, I just don't know what we are going to do. We've got less than scruples.
I don't have alot of working experience, the longest I've had a job was for 3 months. But I'm only 19 so how much real work experience could I have?? There are a few places across the street that are always hiring. But the whole december thing really just doesn't work. Any ideas are ALWAYS welcomed.

#24 ·
If the places across the street really are "always" hiring, then you might approach them anyways. Explain that you have noticed that they have difficulty with staffing and that you would be willing to start now, but are going away in Dec, but will be back in time to help with the christmas rush, or whatever your schedule is... make it as appealing to them as possible. "I live right over there, so I can come in on a moments notice..." If you need help with your resume and cover letter PM me, I can help you out.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one View Post
No complaints about your pregnant status?

I do work - from 6 am to 2 pm - but I am going to be cut back for the winter and am trying to figure out how to supplement and hopefully end up making more than I was before.
Sorry it took me so long to reply to this. The nice think about temp jobs is that they are just that, temporary. And if for some reason you need to miss a day or two, they easily fill your place that day. You just call the temp company, tell them you won't be able to make it to work that day and they call in a replacement. And you can even be on the list for those daily replacement jobs. So you work one or two days and one company and a few days at another, etc. I had a long-term temp job that I started in Dec and was planning on staying until April (my last babe was due in May 2005). So the whole time they knew I was leaving. They threw me a baby shower and everything before I left, it was a great way to make some extra money and work an easy job (receptionist) while pg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.