*~ Weekly Thread Nov 20th - 26th ~* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to another new week!

Well, dh and I got the kitchen and bathrooms cleaned up so that the plumber could do his thing. He is almost finished fixing my rotten pipe, so I will have a working sink again! I am sooooo happy about this!

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving on Thursday. We will be going to my IL's house and that will be nice. Dh's grandma will be there also, so it will make for a nice holiday. FIL cooks up a mean turkey too, so I am looking forward to that.

What is everyone else doing this week for Thanksgiving?

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#2 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I think I am doing Thanksgiving here, just us. Which will be a first. I should go to Whole Foods today for a turkey, I guess. We plan on watching the parade, having dinner, playing games and just hanging out. Then I'm going out with my bf for Black Friday. : Hopefully, I'll make it!
#3 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM

I'll be going to MIL's which, I agree, will be nice. Looking forward to a mini-vacation. A turkey question: I live in the Northeast, and everyone bakes their turkey in the oven. It's been that way for any person i've known, always. But my best friend just moved to Atlanta, GA (woe! ) but apparently down there, it is all the rage to deep fry your turkey! Anyone have any other unusual (well it is unusual to me at least!) Thanksgiving traditions?
#4 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM

well, we are unusual in that we don't eat turkey! sometimes we buy a tofurkey or i make a tofu loaf, but not this year. we used to always adopt a turkey from Farm Sanctuary, but this year i just don't have the money the holidays are gonna blow this year, i can tell already.

i'm at my parents' for the week. my dad isn't speaking to me, and is being rude to my kids even. he's just toxic lately. at least my mom's come around tho. (this all has to do with the divorce, and with my pregnancy) He actually yelled in front of my kids and everyone yesterday that this kid I'm carrying is "disgusting" and should be aborted, and that I'm not his daughter anymore, then he stormed out of the house. I can't believe I didn't pack my bags right then. He's forbidden my mom to help me financially, but she's angry at him too after yesterday's outburst. It's a crazy situation. I am going to the grocery store today just to get the h3!! outa here, and to buy some thanksgiving dinner stuff to cook, but I know my dad won't eat with us :

Ian has a cold, which always ends up being a stomach bug as well, so he's kinda cranky lately. We've been veggin' out, watching a lot of movies together. I've been able to take the kids outside for walks, being out in the country at my mother's house, so they've been amassing a collection of leaves, rocks, acorns, etc. We'll probably make a centerpiece for the table with these things.

So I finally got the printer wired up and made some iron-on tshirts for Lili the other day--she's been bugging that she wanted her *own* HIM tshirts to wear for when we go out and do band promotions, LOL (which isn't that often but i guess she likes to!). So now she's got one in pink, and one in black and white--she's adorable, I'll have to post pics!

Today is (ought to be?) errand day--I need to get off my behind and go OUT and take care of things--bank, post office, groceries...bleah....

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#5 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 PM

I am hoping to spend Thanksgiving with my mother and my boys...Then Friday it is off to the sales LOL. I am still having really bad morning sickness so I will have to play this week by ear
#6 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 PM

A new week for me, but not for this bean.
No heartbeat at the dr today so he did a quick ultrasound. No heartbeat, very still baby measuring 9 weeks. So wish me luck to pass it successfully and get on with trying again.
#7 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 06:48 PM

Oh Jessica! I'm so sorry for your loss. I do hope all goes smoothly for you. It has been such a pleasure "meeting" you, and I wish you all the best. I don't know if you'll continue to pop in on this board, but I will send prayers your way, and I'd love to hear from you again at some point. Let us know how you are.

My very best to you,
Samantha
#8 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 06:57 PM

That sucks jess, hope all goes well and that you have a new one on the way soon.

No thanksgiving for me this week. Good old Canada, we had ours weeks and weeks ago. Nice and slow at work though since a good portion of our customers are American.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#9 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Jessica! I am soooo sorry for your loss! Please take care and be gentle with yourself.

#10 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Oh, Jessica, I am so very sorry for your loss. Hugs.
#11 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 PM

jessica! i have not participated much with this due date group but i saw your post here and just had to say how sorry i am. i posted over on BC, too. i just wish i could give you a big hug right now. i'm super sad to see you go. i hope to keep in touch and know when you expect again? wishing you all the best...

mackenzie
#12 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys! I'll post here when I get pregnant again. Then you guys can be happy for me. It's been lots of fun here.

In the meantime, I'm going to have a great big coffee tomorrow, and drink a big glass of wine or two at Thanksgiving. And at lunch today, I ate hardly any protein. Ha!
#13 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron View Post
No heartbeat at the dr today so he did a quick ultrasound. No heartbeat, very still baby measuring 9 weeks. So wish me luck to pass it successfully and get on with trying again.
Thats the worst freaking news. Jessi, I love you and pmed you. I am so sorry, it is so unfair.
#14 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 PM

oh Jessi, i am so so sorry.

Krystal, wow your dad is really being a jerk! that stinks that you have to stay with him. sending lots of loving vibes to you to counteract his jerky ones.

speaking of dads, mine is coming wednesday to stay into the weekend. my mil (toxic overload) is coming for thanksgiving dinner. i am looking forward to it, the cooking and the smells and the family, oh and the glass of wine i'm planning to have. i will be sad that my mom won't be here though- she and my stepdad are visiting his son and daughter in law in new orleans.

i am 14 weeks today and i do believe my uterus is at my bellybutton! crazy! i really need to take a belly pic, it's a whopper already!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#15 of 43 Old 11-20-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:

I am soooo sorry!!! Gosh, I hurt for you hon! You will be in my prayers!!!

Well we got all four boys pictures taken tonight. We did it ourselves and I just hope we got some good ones since they are going to be our Christmas gifts to others. I did a bit of Christmas decorating shopping tonight. We have nothing here to decorate with, so I have been looking up frugal decorating tips online. The boys are soooo excited to decorate for Christmas! We are going to cut out paper snowflakes tomorrow and tape them to the patio doors and windows. I may be more excited than them!

Next mw apt. is Wed...it will be our first, because at our last first a week ago, the mw got called away to deliver a baby. I am starting to feel movement...i love
that!

Thanksgiving...well we are not sure. We are invited to celebrate it with some fellow students, or we may just stay home and have a simple meal here. My mil comes on Fri. for a visit, so I want to take part of Thurs. to make sure the apartment is ready for her. And I want to get all of the decorations up on that day too.

Gotta run, take care mamas!
#16 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 AM

Jess, I'm really sorry but man you've got the right attitude! Have fun trying again!

Usually we go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving but this year we didn't want to travel for both T-day and Christmas, so we went for a visit in September and are staying here this week. We will do a turkey (which my husband doesn't eat but I've been meaning to cook one for sandwiches for weeks anyway), and green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. And stuffing!!! He's thinking about doing some stuff on the grill - probably some potatoes, maybe even the turkey. Delia loves helping in the kitchen, so we will just have fun in there all day I think.

We have a college friend and his fiancee coming to visit for the weekend, so I'm just happy we are all pretty healthy and that the house cleaner can come on Wednesday! It's been almost a month since she was here last and we've been sick, which makes things way worse. Now I need to get through the mountains of laundry.
#17 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 AM

Jessitron - I am so sorry for your loss. That is really sad news. Take care of yourself especially during the holiday season when there is an expectation of happiness.
#18 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 AM

i am so sorry, Jess! : (((hugs)))

we don't have Thanksgiving here (i am on another continent, ya know!) but it is fun to watch you guys preparing, eating those big turkeys and stuff!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#19 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Sorry, Jess- we will miss you. I hope your body heals fully.

Krystal it sucks your Dad feels that way. Its a baby! Hopefully he will figure that out before he/she is born. Another reason why pg is 9 months.

On thursday I'll call all my stateside relatives and celebrate through them. I've never cooked a turkey and will be surprised if I ever do, but I got a turkey pot pie at the farmers' market. I'm making cranberry pie and cranberry sauce too. A small celebration.
#20 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wish me luck getting through the rest of the day until dh gets home. Today was an early release day for ds' school so I have all 3 kids here to parent alone until like 4:30ish. The first hour has gone ok, but anything can happen between now and then.

Ds is also trying to teach my 1 y/o how to write her name. It is cute, especially since he is missing some letters. Alssa does not Allissa make, but it is cute none the less. Just had to share. More later.

#21 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 05:01 PM

Jess

I never post on the weekly thread, because I feel too sick to be chatty most of the time, but when I saw your sad news, I couldn't not post. Do take care and heal soon. I'm sorry you won't be around for the duration.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#22 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Hey Ladies,
This week has been a tiring one. I have been taking care of my mom. We had to go to the urgent care (Not a small feat, this woman refuses to see a dr) and she had a bladder kidney infection and her blood sugar level was 554! So she is a diabetic.
I am exhausted dealing with medical stuff for her, and just plain tired. I think I am 18 weeks now. I think. Maybe 17. But I look HUGE!

Well thats my news for this week.
#23 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Jess~ I never get around to reading these weekly threads...I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please take extra care of yourself, and all the best trying again. ((hugs))
#24 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 PM

, mama

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. I'll be saying prayers for you and your family.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#25 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM

I'm really sad to hear about Jessitron's loss. It totally sucks! And I will be sorry to see her leave this DDC because she's so darn funny. I haven't usually been posting on these weekly threads, either, but just wanted to say that.

This is my last week of doing nothin' but sitting around chatting on the The Internets, because I start my correspondence courses next week. Books are already here - intimidating. But I am going to make sure I keep up with how everyone here is doing... it's really cool to have others going through the same things at the same time to read about or talk to. Glad I found this place.
#26 of 43 Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 PM

Jessi-you will be dearly missed. Sending you strong mama vibes to help you get through this difficult time. We all love you and can't wait to hear of your next pregnancy. Enjoy a big glass of wine for me this thanksgiving. And then eat some yummy sushi with a glass of saki! Thanks for adding so much fun to this ddc! Good luck, mama!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#27 of 43 Old 11-22-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I know that it is only Wednesday am, but this week just seems to be flying by. I have so much to do after dh gets home this evening. Gotta get a small casserole dish with a lid so I can make the greenbean casserole for thanksgiving dinner. I also need to make a new towel cozy for my casserole dish. Those are pretty easy though. I also have a few errands to run this afternoon which will also make the day go faster. I am all for that since ds doesn't have school today. Grr! : I don't wanna have to deal with a full day for ds beating up on dd1 and then having to listen to her whiny skrieking. Mostly cause I wanna slap dd1 silly for not staying away from ds when he gets into those sorts of moods. That is another story all together however.

Anyone else gonna be doing lots of prep work today in order to get ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow? Hope that everyone has a good day today.

#28 of 43 Old 11-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Remember earlier in the week when I was fondly recounting Thanksgivings in the Northeast, and how we have baked Turkey? SCREEEECH! Stop the presses! My MIL is making Salmon for Thanksgiving! SALMON??? I told her that I would not be able to eat Salmon because of the pregnancy and mercury, and she said, "I didn't think you ate meat. I didn't think you and (my DH) would eat any of it anyhow." I said, um, okay. Well, I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but what are you planning on having as side dishes, so we can plan what we'll bring for us to eat. (Thinking, if you knew 1/3 of the people there wouldn't eat it, then...???) She said, "Side dishes? Oh I don't know, I hadn't even thought about that. But you're still bringing your apple crisp, right?" It's the day before Thanksgiving, and she hasn't thought about what the menu will be??

So, apparently, we are having Salmon and apple crisp. LOL Please grant me patience!
#29 of 43 Old 11-22-2006, 12:41 PM

My DS, as a comfort to me, says "Don't worry Mom, the pilgrims ate Salmon."
#30 of 43 Old 11-22-2006, 12:51 PM

jess , i'm so sorry for your loss! i haven't really posted much, but i do a lot of lurking. you'll be missd, please keep us posted.

my parents are visiting this week from the west coast. it's been very trying at times (and they just got here sunday!). my mother insists that my sister and i should drop everything to make this holiday "special" for her and my dad since they travelled so far; she's upset that we're going out to eat for thanksgiving instead of cooking at home. but my sister lives in a tiny apartment and dh and i are moving into our first house next week and it just wasn't feasible for either one of us to take on the responsibility of cooking (i have visions of myself falling asleep just from the smell of the food).

last night i was talking to my dad about the physical discomforts of pregnancy and he actually said "well, you're not the first person to have a baby and you certainly won't be the last, so get used to it." HELLO?!? This is still the first time I've experienced pregnancy, show a little compassion.

Which I guess is how I'm trying to view this whole stressful week...as an opportunity to practice compassion. Happy, happy turkey day, mamas.

treehugger.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page