I think I may have a sinus infection!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you do? I really, really, really don't want to go to the docs to be put on antbx but somebody told me it is worst for the baby for me to not get the antbx and keep fighting this infection. What can I do naturally for my symptoms and to fight the infection? What would you do? I feel like utter poop Thanks for your help!

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#2 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 11:46 AM

I am having sinus issues but I don't think an infection. What makes you think it is an infection - fever? Swollen glands? If I had an infection with fever and glands and feeling seriously bad, I would consider the antibiotics personally.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 AM

hmm i have no clue about sinus infections specifically being bad for the babe during pregnancy, but if i were you:

garlic--raw on buttered toast, in mashed potatos, even garlic oil caps but fresh raw cloves are best. antimicrobial, fights infection...garlic is nature's antibiotic, i use it more regularly than echinacea.

echinacea is great, i think the best is that "wellness tea" by celestial seasonings, goes down easily take it with honey, that's another infection-fighter there.. they also sell powdered herb caps or liquid extract.

citrus fruits, or really any fresh fruit of course lots of water and rest of course...

and personally, i'd lay off the dairy--it's supposedly mucous-forming, which isn't at all what you need right now

good luck!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#4 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM

Krystal had great suggestions! Also someone recommended fenogreek tea to me last year when my ds was fighting sinus infection.

Oh not sure if this is safe for pg though...may have to ask around on that.
#5 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I am having sinus issues but I don't think an infection. What makes you think it is an infection - fever? Swollen glands? If I had an infection with fever and glands and feeling seriously bad, I would consider the antibiotics personally.
I have had sinus infections before but not in years...LOL! I am thinking its one because I have a consistent cough, swollen glands, swollen sinus/pain under my eyes, nothing comes out when I blow my nose, no fever though. I hate sinus issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
hmm i have no clue about sinus infections specifically being bad for the babe during pregnancy, but if i were you:

garlic--raw on buttered toast, in mashed potatos, even garlic oil caps but fresh raw cloves are best. antimicrobial, fights infection...garlic is nature's antibiotic, i use it more regularly than echinacea.

echinacea is great, i think the best is that "wellness tea" by celestial seasonings, goes down easily take it with honey, that's another infection-fighter there.. they also sell powdered herb caps or liquid extract.

citrus fruits, or really any fresh fruit of course lots of water and rest of course...

and personally, i'd lay off the dairy--it's supposedly mucous-forming, which isn't at all what you need right now

good luck!!
Thanks soooo much!!!! Okay for the garlic can I just eat a whole clove raw? Like chew it up and swallow it? I am definently going to put some on some toast, that sounds very yummy!! I am also going to get some of that tea and take some honey as well. Thanks sooooo much for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleymama View Post
Krystal had great suggestions! Also someone recommended fenogreek tea to me last year when my ds was fighting sinus infection.

Oh not sure if this is safe for pg though...may have to ask around on that.
I will look into that tea, thanks

Julie (34)
Collector of TOYS!
#6 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM

STEAM!
I get frequent sinus infections (probably related to my constant snoring... something must be out of whack up there) and what helps me is steam. Hot showers, lots of tea (hot tea, not just warm tea!) and soup. I prefer Neoguri "Kimchi Taste" Hot Noodle Soup! It is an acquired taste for some, but I like it and it will help to make your nose run and clear your sinuses, it is HOT!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#7 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help ladies!
I am going to be eating lots of garlic and honey and I ate some of that hot soup and it was soooo yummy but sooo hot...LOL! I liked it Thanks again, hopefully I will be feeling better by Saturday as DH and I have a night out for his Christmas party

Julie (34)
Collector of TOYS!
#8 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Hope all this works for you and you start feeling better!!!
#9 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Can I join your club? I'm on day 5 of a sinus infection and it is moving its way out. The pressure is gone but still lots of congestion. I used a neti pot whenever I got unblocked. That helped. I also am using Grapefruit Seed Extract nasal spray (Nutribiotic). Lots of Vitamin C and Goldenseal and fenugreek (I know you can't use goldenseal while pg but I'm not sure about fenugreek). Hope we're all better soon.
#10 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 PM

the last time i had a sinus infection i took some hyland's sinus tablets and it really really helped. maybe that could help you with some of your sypmtoms.
#11 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention earlier.... someone I know used to snort warm salt water (not too salty, just saline) up thier nose to help clear sinus infections. Can't make any recommendations on techniques, but I HAVE heard that it works. Ugh, don't think I could do that ever myself!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention earlier.... someone I know used to snort warm salt water (not too salty, just saline) up thier nose to help clear sinus infections. Can't make any recommendations on techniques, but I HAVE heard that it works. Ugh, don't think I could do that ever myself!
When I was travelling around africa and Europe by myself, I had a constant sinus infection, and I snorted warm salt water and it really helped dry it up.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#13 of 15 Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Neti pot is way nicer that snorting the water! I use one of those and it helps a lot!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#14 of 15 Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM

I would second the neti pot recommendation. It can really clear out your sinuses.

The other advice was great too. Hope you feel better!
#15 of 15 Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a vaporizer, ate lots of garlic, and ate some honey and am feeling better today I still have a stuffy nose but not feeling as crappy! Thanks for all your help!!

Julie (34)
Collector of TOYS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page