Mothering Forum banner

***~~Weekly Chat Jan 21-28~~***

600 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Eaglevoice 
#1 ·
Hello gals. Been awfully quiet around here the last few days. I hope everyone is feeling better. I sure am
finally.

After battling a cold for a week and a half it seems to be mostly gone. Usually once I get a cold I end up on an inhaler and in bed for 3 weeks, so this is a nice change. The contractions that I had last weekend have let up and have been gone for 3 days now and the baby seems to have turned over, or at least is turned over MOST of the time, kicking at my belly button instead of my cervix, so that is a nice change too... those kicks to the cervix are quite.... uncomfortable!

Today I went to the first of a 10 session pregnancy yoga class. It was pretty good, except for when I thought I was going to either puke or pass out at one point. I can only do so many up/down transition poses in a row (we were going from a balancing pose on our toes to a "sit" through to a squat and then back up).
: I think I'll just take it easy on those ones from now on... had the same problem in the regular yoga class when I was 8-10 weeks.

I made a sling today.... don't have a baby of kid to try in it so I put the cat in it. He actually didn't mind which surprised me. It seems that it is too narrow and too long. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. The pattern I used (off the internet, for a Hotsling type sling) was for 22" wide. Any recommendations on width for the "pouch" part? I can sew just about anything, but I need a dimension to work with that is reliable.

See less See more
#2 ·
It has been quiet around here lately! I myself have been feeling pretty introspective about things recently. Also, the semester is starting up this week and I am teaching three classes (yikes!) which has involved an inordinate amount of preparation for some reason.

Kristen, glad you're feeling better. I also started a prenatal yoga series last week. It's a small group, and I really like being around other pregnant mamas, but most of the moms in my class seem pretty mainstream, like maybe they're in a yoga class because they think it will help them avoid cellulite, or something. As for me, the babe kicked the whole time I was in class, which made me think she was probably enjoying going for a ride.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend and good luck for a wonderful new week!

#3 ·
Yeah, gosh this is quiet! I love the weekly threads, just little updates from everyone. I have heartburn today. I was really stupid and didn't eat until 5 hours after I got out of bed. I got nauseous and heartburn (for the first time this pregnancy) but now I have heartburn again. So maybe that is starting. LOL Well, I realize it's been a while again since I've eaten... Maybe I should do that. All I feel like eating lately are granola bar type things. Well, I don't even feel like eating those, but they are the easiest thing to eat so that's what I want.

I'm really in a rut of not being fun to play with. Tomorrow I vow to play with my daughter more joyfully. I know it will make us all happier.

I'm cranky about not being able to lie on my stomach anymore. I really love lying on my stomach in bed with my computer, or just to sleep! It's really cramping my style.

OK - off to eat to hopefully get rid of this heartburn. And rink some tea. I've been really good lately, not drinking a lot of soda. I make up 2 quarts of red raspberry leaf tea, add some honey, and put it in the fridge. Yum! I'm not a hot beverage type person, so having it cold and not having to make it a cup at a time is really good for me.

#4 ·
yeaaaah, tis quiet around here!

I am back in the states now, back with my BABIES, YAY!! But I miss Germany, and of course I miss Dennis so terribly much. I am keeping distracted and busy--getting ready to start up homeschooling again next week, organizing stuff around this house, and researching left and right about options for where the heck I'm gonna move to...!

My skin is apparently very angry that I'm back in a dry climate--I keep having minor nosebleeds and my belly is hideously itchy again, bleah. The baby seems to be spending more time head-down, as I'm getting less bladder-kicks and am having to sit up straighter to accomodate the belly

Got an interesting complement from one of the flight attendants coming back--I stood up to go to the bathroom and he said "Oh, I didn't realize you were pregnant, you look like a kid!" And I got to smile and say, "Actually I'm 26 years old, and this is my third kid" [insert stunned look here] BWAHAHA!
: I suppose it wasn't really a complement, but I preferred to take it as such

Well, I am using the jetlag to my advantage, getting up early and getting things done for a change, lol. My ex and I filed taxes yesterday, which means I can FINALLY do a bit of baby shopping in the next few days

....I hope this energy surge of mine lasts!!

#5 ·
Yes, too quiet... hope everyone is doing alright!

Luckily I haven't been suffering from heartburn, but I have been suffering with a severe lack of desire to eat anything.... even when I'm hungry I just don't FEEL like eating, nothing sounds good. Except sugary junk like a Smartie Blizzard or cheesecake or chocolate bars and I don't usually EAT those things. I try hard to eat healthy, but it just isn't doing it for me these days. I WANT SUGAR! weird.
:

I'm also cranky about not being able to lie on my stomach. But what's strange is that at night, my stomach is huge and sometimes hard, not tender, or hard like a BH contrx hard... just ... firm. But when I wake up in the night, after relaxing for a few hours, it is soft and shrinks way back down. So by morning I can lay on my stomach sort of, with a pillow tucked under one hip to elevate me just enough that it is not too uncomfortable.

Oh yes, and baby is definitely spending more time head-down, I get way more kicks in the belly button and up to my ribs that I do into my cervix/bladder now, which is a nice relief.

#6 ·
Ahhhhhh.... deep exhale. The semester is over and I got credit for my research, and my proposal for the next round has been accepted.

We celebrated my birthday this weekend by going up to the mountains and I was treated to a wonderful ceremonial bath at a lovely japenese bathouse... so relaxing and we ate such wonderful food all weekend. AND... (drumroll)....

We went and got or first and only ultrasound done for the baby.... we chose a little private, non-medical ultrasound photography studio... it was kinda a trip, the whole place. But beautiful with goddess artwork up everywhere. They fed us chocolate and we got to see the baby and take photos. We found out we are having a little girl
- and she looks like a princess.

We are planning a very do-it-yourself birth. and DH and I are both very primitive post-modernists (if that's a category-
this just sounds a little more descriptive of us than the typical "crunchy" tag) meaning, we are not anti-technology, we just want to use it intelligently and make our own conclusions- so we wanted a sonogram, but not have extra tests or doc's fear-based interpretation of what's happening. We studied so we would know what we were looking at, and the measurements are right on and heartbeat is great. The placement of the placenta is ideal. We are planning an unassisted birth, and I think the experience we had was affirming and erased any last little shred of concern about our plans.

So, for us, this was just a truly wonderful experience! We were definately in an altered state, watching the monitor, and it felt like one part star trek one part ancient ritual....

Sending the best to all you dear Mommies for the week!

#7 ·
Hi ladies! My dh had a week off of work last week, so I spent a lot of it with him and Katelynn doing all kinds of fun things that we don't normally get the chance to do on the weekends because it's always so crowded. We went for a hike and a picnic and watched the whales swim by, then we went to the aquarium one day, another day we went for a long walk down by the beach and had lunch at fisherman's wharf with all of the tourists. It's fun to pretend like we are tourists in our own town sometimes!
I can't believe how big my belly is getting now. I'm seriously in need of some new maternity clothes, too. I'm still wearing pre-preg pants to work (they have an elastic waist) but it's definitely time to get some new maternity ones. It sucks though, cause I have to order them online, they don't make pants long enough for my legs in normal stores, grrrrr. I just found out about a cool nursing mama's store that just opened up in town. They have all kinds of nursing bras, pumps, slings, diapers, etc. I'm going to go and check it out today, I'm excited. Oh, and I just found out that the holistic moms chapter in my area is starting up again! They stopped for a while because the mom who ran it moved out of the area, so I'm going to the first meeting this tuesday. I'm excited to meet more holistically minded mamas in the area. Speaking of which, I got to meet Navy_Mommy from our DDC at prenatal yoga the other night, that was really cool! (
Navy_Mommy) I also met another MDC mama at the same yoga class that night, she's in the June DDC! So excited to be finally meeting some cool mamas in this area! Okay that's enough of a novel from me for now.

#8 ·
Happy Birthday Baraka! Sounds like you had a wonderful relaxing and magical birthday.

This baby is definetly stretching out all over the place. I feel it everywhere!

I would love to see if there is a prenatal class I can take. I am sure there is one here. It's a very progressive city.

Krystal, I got asked one time if I wanted a kids menu when I was in my last month with DD. I was huge! I hate looking young for my age sometimes other times I love it.

Nothing new around here. I have to set up an appointment to get an U/S. I need an U/S because in NH if you want a HBAC it's law. I still am not going to find out the sex.
Tomorrow I'm getting adjusted by the chiropractor. My back is killing me!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganbaby View Post
Krystal, I got asked one time if I wanted a kids menu when I was in my last month with DD. I was huge! I hate looking young for my age sometimes other times I love it.
OMG, that's so funny! What could that person have possibly thought was going on with your belly if they thought you were a kid???

#10 ·
OK, NOW I have heartburn. It gets really bad sometimes! Didn't I JUST have morning sickness?! I drank a sip of apple cider vinegar today and it helped some but man, it burned going down. LOL Then a friend told me to mix it with water. Oh. ROFL It helps to lie down, though, or stretch out a lot, I guess to give everything more room. I'm trying to phase out reclining or any bad-for-baby-position positions but so far I still sit on the couch leaning back quite a bit. Must stop!

My lap is disappearing. I use a laptop and I have to kind of hold on to it or it starts to slide off my knees. So funny.

Must go sleep! I did not get enough sleep last night and I refuse to let that cold come back.

#11 ·
Ugh, heartburn. I had it for a while, then it went away, thank goodness! Last night I felt it trying to creep back, but I had eaten way too much Indian food and it was SPICY (but super tasty!).

I have no lap either, and if I sit hunched over (BAD mommy posture!!) my desk or leaning forward it feels like the baby is jammed between my ribs and pelvis and is trying to push me back upright. Ugh. Not comfortable!!

#12 ·
Just an FYI, papaya enzyme tablets are awesome for heartburn. I get mine from GNC and they taste really yummy, too.

#13 ·
I bought some Tums today, but I haven't taken any yet. That's what I do - I just go and buy things and never use or take them. LOL It makes me feel better to have it in the house though. I'm weird.

I realized I bought the first baby-related thing! We bought a zero candle this week, for the birthday cake for the baby! My husband and Delia like to make cakes together, so I thought it'd be really fun for them to do that the day the baby's born.

This is also sort of baby-related. I got Delia a new carseat, and she's awesome. Last week she suggested that the new baby can use her old carseat! Woo hoo! So at the moment I have two carseats in the car, her new one isn't buckled in yet but I wanted to get it out of the living room - although she's had fun sitting in it and putting her Furby in it to watch her play Zelda. Don't know where I'm going to stash the old one until May. Our house is seriously too small. Seriously. Seriously. It may stay in the car - the car is pretty big. LOL

#14 ·
I can't believe its Friday already and another week has slipped by. I'm now 25 weeks and very excited to have made it this far. DH & I went out to celebrate 24 weeks last Friday we've done it with both of the girls so we had to do it again! I'm feeling OK. I haven't thrown up for a while (3 weeks) but he heartburn is KILLING me. I've tried the papaya tablets and they only work sometimes so I try them 1st then if they don't work go for the yucky tums that do work. I feel this little girl move so very much and its very reassuring. Although the kicks or head buts to my cervix are strange feeling and hurt sometimes. My 4 yr old love to lay her head on my belly and have her sister kick her which she just laughs and laughs at.

The bad news is that I've started to have contractions. I have about 10-15 a day now. I have to lay down and if I have 4 in a hr I have to go into the hospital to get them to stop them. This is actually starting later than with my girls so its some good news. I just hope I don't end up on bed rest like I did with both girls.

Sorry about all the smiles my dd was having fun!

:nana:
:
: :yawning:
:
:
:
:
:
:

#15 ·
We just finished a wise women circle here tonight... the topic was "Courting Change". I thought of all of you dear changing women and in my vision connected our circle with the "cyber" circle here...

So know in this moment you are surrounded by the strength and support of the collective feminine consciouness...

#16 ·
we just finished driving cross country to my inlaw's in Central CA.I'm enjoying being stuffed to the gills qwith homemade tortillas and other goodies (mmm...homemade beans and real salsa) made by my MIL.Soon we will be driving down the caost to fly to our new place in HI.I'm looking forward to nesting in my own home.I've started buying baby clothes hoping that I was right and this Belly bean is a girl.I have no clue how this baby is positioned cuz she likes to hang out super low and I feel nudges on either side and the hugest hiccups...seriously I feel like I'm going to bounce off the chair.

#17 ·
We've got major hiccups here, too. It's such a strange feeling. And now I am starting to be able to watch my belly move around when the baby kicks. I love all the freaky things that go on in there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.