Spinoff: What NOT to get! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post
but one thing that I never needed ever were bottles, even though I did have some preemies and needed to "top them up" I used syringes and droppers. I guess I needed the one bottle that came with my pump to collect the milk. But I really could have done without the dozens that my mil brings over for gifts every time I have a baby
Ummm... OK I'm new to this ...what do you do with the collected milk if not feed it to the baby in bottles? Or are you just saying that you only needed a couple bottles, cause you didn't use them that often, as opposed to the dozens from your MIL?
#32 of 47 Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I live in NYC where the moniters often pick up everything and I also am in 1000sq feet, all on one floor, so I really can hear everything

I never used the bottles either except the one that came with the pump and one back up but I had horrid pumping issues and never could feed him expressed milk.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#33 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 AM

I have a Sony monitor that is pretty good. I don't usually have a reason to use it, though. I do use it when I put a baby down to sleep and I am using my Angel motion monitor when they are tiny.
#34 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Ummm... OK I'm new to this ...what do you do with the collected milk if not feed it to the baby in bottles? Or are you just saying that you only needed a couple bottles, cause you didn't use them that often, as opposed to the dozens from your MIL?
no I really didn't use ANY bottles I'm in canada and get 1 years maternity leave, and I really felt like since I was a wohm that my main "job" for that year was to stay with my baby as much as possible, and I just never had a need for milk in a bottle. I never went out without the baby before 6 months, and rarely after that, but by then if the baby was thirsty they drank sips of expressed milk out of a cup. All the pumped milk I had stored in the freezer I used it for my toddler when I went back to work at 12months, and they took it straight from a cup or a sippy cup.

For some reason I have a weird bottle aversion, I know that a sippy cup and a bottle with a nipple are really the same thing but I don't like bottles, and this was made worse by the constant gifts of bottle from my mil, which I felt was a direct statement to me that I couldn't sustain the baby's just on my breasts alone, and that offended me, and made me dislike bottles even more
#35 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 AM

We never had a monitor. A few times we felt like we needed to hear her right away, we set up our phone on speakerphone to the downstairs unit and it worked almost like a monitor. We don't have that phone anymore so I was looking around online for monitors, but they all have horrible reviews so I think I'll pass again.
#36 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
how funny. with Ian, he was a DROOLER, so bibs were essential!! i never had enough! and i've waxed eloquent on another thread about changing tables and wipes warmers too

Yaknow what i think?? I think that the majority of baby things CAN BE useless--it depends on you and your particular baby

a
True! Oh, and I used tions of bibs too.

I had a really hard time thinking of anything I didn't use. Everything people said they didn't use, if I had it, I used it. usually quite a bit.

but, I finally thought of one. The bottle warmer. i finally ended up just nuking the bottles, (well, actually ,just during the winter. Other wise, after the 12st 2 months she'd drink it room temperature.)

Anyhow, the warmer was such a pain to measure the water, and it'd either be too hot or too cold. It was easier to just use a pan of warm water. Then she started being ok with room temperature, then when it got cold, I nuked them for awhille.

Hopefully, If I have another, I'll be able to nurse.
#37 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 AM

Way too many bottles and a bottle warmer. While I was pregnant, I had these visions of pumping and having my DH feed DD every couple days so I could take a bubble bath, read a book, talk on the phone, etc. It turns out I am WAY too lazy to pump - cleaning pump parts, waking up early so I can pump when my supply is the best - forget it!

Decor Diaper pail - I had no idea that I would start using cloth, and found a tote to be the easiest set up.

Loving my DH and my two active little girls (9/06), (6/09). Anticipating a new bundle of joy (7/11).
#38 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 AM

things i got but didn't use or need....

TOYS (bath toys, included).

at least not a bunch of little infant things with bells & whistles. people love to put these as present toppers so it's hard to avoid but i really didn't use them at all. actually, i got rid of all of them after dd1 was born & dd2 didn't miss them at all. (maybe have a few colorful strands of wooden rings, but that's it. and for the bath, my girls love cups! i initially used those stacking cups but they prefer regular little cups that don't have holes in the bottom).

i definitely use my monitor. for me, it's indispensible during naps....espcecially in the summertime when i want to be outside without having to run in & out every 10 minutes to listen for a waking babe. i have a simple, $20 fisher price thing & it works great. i used my first one for 3 years before it broke & replaced it with the same thing....hoping it will get me through the next baby stage.

stephanie asl.gif

#39 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 06:42 PM

great stuff in this thread
#40 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 08:32 PM

oh and I used to think baby baths were useless until I had a summer baby, and I have to say I loved the baby bath that summer. Because he needed the temp of the bath a little warmer than I wanted to bathe myself in in 30 degree heat. and it got a lot of use
#41 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkimo View Post
I also never use the changing table. The foldable mat that came with our diaper bag is so much more convenient.

We also rarely use our big clunky stroller/travel system, although I don't know that I'd truly want to go without one.

The inexpensive "just-in-case" evenflo type breast pump was a waste of time and money. A manual pump is a better option if you don't plan to use it frequently but think you may need one at some point.
I just had to reply to this. The number of diapers you end up changing - I much prefer to use a changing table. It's at the right height so you don't kill your back hunching over a couch or whatever.

And I did use our stroller/travel system a lot. Well, the car seat in the car and the stroller around the neighborhood. My advice would be to figure out where you will be walking your baby the most and buy an appropriate stroller. In hindsight, a collapsible jogging stroller would be have been the most versatile, but the stroller/travel system worked fine on our neighborhood sidewalks.

And I would advise people not to buy a breast pump made by a formula manufacturer. I used the manual Avent Isis pump and although the assembly directions made my postpartum head spin, it worked for occassional use.
#42 of 47 Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 PM

too many small size clothes. I didn't think I would have many people come to my baby shower so I bought most of the clothes I would need. Well tons of people came and I had enough clothes for quadruplets! Some of them she never even wore. They grow out of the small sizes so quick. Also I had way too many blankets given to me.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#43 of 47 Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 AM

I love our changing table as well, I'm so glad we didn't get rid of it after DS or DD. When I first got it though, I thought that there's no way I'm going to need this, but it was SO HANDY. Keeps all the diapers and stuff in one place and it's just so much more convenient than getting up off the floor 800 times a day. But it's definitely not a necessity.

We've never used regular bibs much, but with DD I had some of the drool bibs...you know the little ones that, well, catch drool. It sure beat changing clothes often due to drool from teething. I had some of the little organic Imse Vimse ones.

I agree that the pack n play was something we didn't need. Still have the one we got when I was pg with DS and have used it maybe 4 times in 4.5 years and even then it wasn't necessary.

The bouncy seat was RARELY used with my DD, but my DS loved it and it was the only way I ever did dishes since he hated the sling with a passion.

Small insignificant thing, but we've never used the hooded towels or bath robe given to us for each baby.

As for monitors, it was a MUST for my DS (first child). He wouldn't co-sleep and it was my only way of keeping my sanity. We barely use it with DD though. We had an Evenflo with my DS that was AWESOME. But I tripped on the cord and broke it. We bought a Sony for use with DD but it's definitely not as good.
#44 of 47 Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM

i think i am in the minority, but we loved our pack n' play. it is the kind with the little changing table on top of it. ds slept in the bassinette part, by our bed, until he was bigger and moved into bed with us. and having the changing table right in our bedroom with us was so great. for the first few months, he pooped every single time he ate, so it was great to be able to change him right there and be able to keep the room dim. we will definitely be getting it out again this time.
#45 of 47 Old 02-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
how funny. with Ian, he was a DROOLER, so bibs were essential!! i never had enough!
Amen! It seems as tho in every pic we have of my little one, for the 1st year of his life, he has a bib on! If we didn't keep one on him he was a sopping MESS within 5 minutes!!!

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#46 of 47 Old 02-05-2007, 04:37 PM

I never put a bib on dd until she started eating on her own. So, since around 12 months, I guess. Once she started wanting to feed herself, she seemed to get so messy. I still put a bib on her at dinner time and she's 20 months. But I never needed or used any of the tiny newborn bibs.

I used our changing table alot when she was little. It was a great place to keep all of our cloth diapers in order. Though since the table was downstairs in my bedroom I just changed her on the floor on the pad from her diaper bag when we were upstairs.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#47 of 47 Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 AM

dd hates bibs, so so i got rid of them.
never had a monitor. but if i felt the need, i'd get one.
no stroller here too.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page