how many?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always figured there are enough people on the planet, but I really wanted to have one so I thought that would be a good number. Dh convinced me that a kid needs a sib to play with, I figured it would be safe to agree to that since it took us 18 mos to conceive dd and I was 39 and still bfeeding. . . . so we're having 2, I'll by a 40-yo mom like my mom was, which I always said I wouldn't! Dh has already volunteered to get fixed.

Dh would love to have goats, or maybe llamas or capybaras. We live in town, so it's not allowed, but hey, there was an illegal strip club next door for over a year, who's going to do anything about a couple animals?
#32 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatee View Post
One. Definitely just one (that I give birth to at least, maybe adoption would be an option at some point in the future). That way at least we're not contributing too much to overpopulation.
Actually I feel a bit guilty for even having one (in terms of population problems, environmental damage), I always said I would only adopt. But hey, it happened and I definitely can't say I'm unhappy!
this is what we thought, too. well...we initially said "two" for zero population growth but when i got pregnant with #3 we did a lot of justifying ...his oldest daugther is an only child, my sister doesn't & won't have kids, one of my best friends doesn't & won't have kids....we figure we're just "using up" one of theirs!?

stephanie asl.gif

#33 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Dh would love to have goats, or maybe llamas or capybaras. We live in town, so it's not allowed, but hey, there was an illegal strip club next door for over a year, who's going to do anything about a couple animals?
See, our property is about 300sq. ft. short of what makes us legal to have goats. I figure, who's going to check. As long as they are fairly quiet... we have a lawyers office next door to us and the guy on the other side, well, let's just say he's short a few permits for what he's done to HIS property so he better not DARE report ME for anything or he's subject to some hefty fines from the city. But, alas, no goats for me. No sheep either, or a miniature horse.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#34 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

we have 4 and we are complete.

It started out being just 2 ...........but you know who that works.
#35 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 PM

I always wanted at least 3 and DH always wanted 2. Well...when we had two we knew we weren't done yet and now we are having #3. I think we are open to the possibility of more children...maybe spread out a bit since these 3 are pretty close in age. I think I would like 4-5.
#36 of 43 Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM

i always said i wanted 4, dh wanted 2, so we compromised with 3. at the beginning of this pregnancy, when i was feeling wretched, i actually thought that i would feel "done" after this baby, but now that i feel better i want more.

i'm hoping that either i will feel done once this baby is here or dh will change his mind and become open to more.

i still think 4 would be ideal for me, but sometimes 5 or 6 sounds good too.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#37 of 43 Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 PM

i always wanted an even number 4- 6, this is my forth and i am DONE! its dh's 5th and he would of been happy with 1!!! he is going to have a snip snip after Caroline is here

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#38 of 43 Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 AM

1 for starters... and then we'll go from there. I'd like to have two, but I want to wait and see how it goes... I already worry about juggling work and one baby so two seem overwhelming right now... I don't want to ever look back and feel like I shortchanged or missed out on my baby... My sister says that I'll be more comfortable with the idea of a second baby after I have the first... I hope she's right!
#39 of 43 Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM

"well having kids is the same as getting tattoos--you can't have just one!!"

:

sorry couldn't resist--was chit-chatting with the sears portraits lady and she said that

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#40 of 43 Old 02-08-2007, 03:57 AM

we plan to have one then see if we want or feel capable of having more, i suspect if we have more we may adopt but so far i am enjoying being pregnant so maybe not
wen we talk about our future kids we always says kids or children so i guess on some level we want more than one
my sibling are not close to me in age so i grew up kinda like an only child and found it very lonely my partner grew up as an only child but was never lonely and enjoyed it so i think he is leaning more towards just one but he uses plurals to talk about out future kids to so who knows

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#41 of 43 Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 AM

This will be our first.... so it's hard to say. Ideally, we both agree that we think we want 2 or 3. We don't have much money though, don't own a house etc... so the logical part of me is already thinking how we could provide so much better for just 1... but, like i said we *think* at least 2.

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#42 of 43 Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM

We are going to take it one at a time . For awhile, I wasn't sure I wanted any children, but DH has always said he wants 5, so we'll see!

treehugger.gif
#43 of 43 Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM

I used to not want ANY kids and dp always wanted to have one, "eventually..." so this was a minor point of contention between us, but very minimal as it wasn't supposed to be an issue any time soon. Then, when I found out I was pregnant, suddenly I decided I did want to have a baby (hormones maybe?), but Jeff didn't want to! Ha, whoops, sorry, too late! Now that we're both used to the idea of having one, I'm good with that (especially since I haven't had the *thrill* of childbirth yet, and am not sure how many times I would want to go through it!) but he, the only child, wants another one if we stay in the city. If we move to the country and have our own farm, he wants SEVEN so that they can help with the labour! And I still am not sure if he's joking or not?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatee View Post
One. Definitely just one (that I give birth to at least, maybe adoption would be an option at some point in the future). That way at least we're not contributing too much to overpopulation.
Actually I feel a bit guilty for even having one (in terms of population problems, environmental damage), I always said I would only adopt. But hey, it happened and I definitely can't say I'm unhappy!
As far as that goes, that was one of my reasons for always saying I was never gonna have any kids. But the fact of the matter is, there is exponentially more people in most of the third world countries yet they create a LOT less environmental damage! So really it's not our population causing a problem, it's our lifestyle choices, our "Ecological Footprint" if you will.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page