how many?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ideally, how many kids would you like to have.

Is this how many your significant other wants too???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 AM

We are in agreement on two.
#3 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Three. It was a very easy agreement for us. After two, I told my husband that I was somewhat on the fence and could be talked into staying with two, or having three. After some time thinking about it on both our parts, we decided that we both felt our family was still missing one person, so here we are.
#4 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

I'd love to have 4-6. I grew up the oldest of 6 and wouldn't change it for the world. DH wants 2 or 3. We'll see what God has in store for us!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#5 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 AM

3 (he only wanted two)

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#6 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM

this is our 3rd & last. when we got married 6 years ago we joked that we'd have kids until my husband was 50 & then call it quits. well, he'll be 50 in april & this babe is due in may so we thought we'd stick with our original plan! and...over the past 6 years i've been pregnant 5 times so i feel like i've been preganant, breastfeeding & caring for newborns almost our entire time together. i'm ready to have my family complete & move on to the next phase in life! actually, i thought i was ready to stop after two (especially after a very traumatic m/c) but something inside me couldn't definitively say i was done. that little voice is pretty definitive now. my husband jokes that he's going to complete his tatoo & have a vasectomy on his 50th birthday....but not both in the same place!?

stephanie asl.gif

#7 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Dh wanted 3.
I wanted 4.

After we had 7, we said that God had added the two numbers together.

However, as it has been pointed out, there isn't any multiplication in 7 as it is a prime number, so now with 8, we have officially multiplied.
#8 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM

We are in agreement (and pretty much always have been) on having somewhere between 5 and 8 kids. The twins will be our 4th and 5th, so we'll probably hold off on more until we have a bigger house.

We wavered a bit on whether or not we wanted any more after my last child (emergency cesarean). VBAC seemed a lot more scary then, and we almost decided to cut the family short and not have any more. I'm glad we didn't!

Also, if we end up able to get a decent sized house, after our children get older and start moving out we will likely consider adopting more. Too many kids out there that need a good home.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#9 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 PM

we have no idea at all... I think we just want to see what having one is like and go from there.

Grace Comes.

#10 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM

We always said at least three, with the option of four. I went into my fourth pregnancy with the "this is my last baby" mindset. But I started having different feelings...like there was someone else. I struggled with that foras long as I could, then couldn't fight it anymore. . So here we are...thrilled to be pregnant with #5!
#11 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:49 PM

I think we will have 7-8. This will most likely be our last, and we will adopt the rest. I agree with a pp, too many littles out there that need a good home. My sil and her dh are adopting thier #5 (first 4 are bio). A little girl from Liberia and she is so beautiful. They will be able to go get her sometime later this year. The process there takes forever!!

Our pastor and his wife back in WI had 7 of their own and now are up to 14. They adopted 3 and are hoping to be able to adopt the remaining 4, which consist of a set of triplets and a little baby that is addicted to crack.
#12 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Well, DH already had two, and we agreed that we would have 'some' kids.... I think I am up for two and could be talked into three. He grew up in a family of 4 boys (3 +1 adopted) and I had only one brother, so he's always been set on having 3-5 kids or even more, whereas I have always thought 2, but in the past few years have wondered if that isn't going to be complete. We'll see.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#13 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM

We've always thought that 2 was a good number. We might go for 3, MIGHT. We agree that the 3rd one probably wouldn't be planned, so if it happens, it happens. The number greatly depends on dh's job and where we are. We both however do believe in adoption, and would love to adopt, but I don't know if that will be in the cards for us or not.
#14 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM

One. Definitely just one (that I give birth to at least, maybe adoption would be an option at some point in the future). That way at least we're not contributing too much to overpopulation.
Actually I feel a bit guilty for even having one (in terms of population problems, environmental damage), I always said I would only adopt. But hey, it happened and I definitely can't say I'm unhappy!
#15 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM

We never really talked about it.

I had my first at 17 (so, he isn't my husband's bio child). My pregnancy with ds#2 wasn't planned but we were happy, and we semi-planned this baby (planned to have another but weren't going to really ttc for another couple of months). I doubt we'll have anymore, but we're not sure yet.

And, apparently (& luckily) we don't seem to have any issues with fertility, so that door is still open unless we opt to *really* do something about it.

E ~ Mostly-SAHM to 3 amazing boys (and another little guy still percolating, due 5/10)! :
#16 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I always knew I would have 4 kids

My first two boys are from my first marriage and live with us full time. When I met my dh we knew we wanted more kids (he told my mom 6) we definately decided that since there was a 4 year gap between my youngest and our next that we would have #'s 3 and 4. But now we are pregnant with number 5 and are debating whether we should go with 6, so it will either be 5 or 6
#17 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM

We agree on what God gives us

But for our own selfish reason I would like to have a break of 4+ years before having any more kids. Actually I said that before we got preggo with this baby

Anyway this baby makes 4 children for us.
#18 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 PM

we would like three or four. we are keeping it open. ds has been a really chilled out, enjoyable, somewhat easy baby. so i feel it's easy now to say we want three or more. but that's the plan anyway. guess we will see how we feel after this one arrives.
#19 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Wow, how neat to read all the varied answers!

I grew up as an only child, and as far back as I can remember I loathed the idea of having kids...! I actually threw up when I saw the + pg test for Ian--I just knew I'd be a horrible mom, and I felt like my life was over at 17. But hey, there was no way I was going to give this child any less than he deserved, so I shifted my thinking and of course adored him and got to really love being a mama. But one was ENOUGH! I sold all the baby stuff, even considered getting my tubes tied (!). Then Lili came along--not unplanned, but certainly a surprise But even then I said, okay, two is good, but NO MORE!

That was still my thinking when the divorce came up, and this pregnancy was undoubtedly the biggest shock of my life...! I went from despair to acceptance pretty quickly--and after an unreal amount of pain and soul searching, I now realize that my life's calling has been staring me in the face all along.

Me and DP joke about that we're gonna have our own baseball team This is the first pregnancy I've ever thought *wouldn't* be my last! It's amazing how things come full-circle like that.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#20 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 03:31 PM

I have always wanted three (though when I'm woken up 15 times in a night I wish we had stopped at 1) and DH said three too until we actually had one and realized how disruptive kids are, so he said two. But then when we found out that #2 is another girl suddenly he's willing to try for one more. So yay for me!

ILANA
#21 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM

at least 3. dh wants 4.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#22 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM

I've always only wanted two. DH has two daughters from a previous marriage and was ready to get tied after dd, but I told him I really wanted two of my own. So as soon as this dc is born, he'll go and get his vasectomy. That's completely fine by me. I just can't imagine having anymore than two. I don't know how you mama's juggle it! I just met a mama who has three year old twins and a five and seven year old. I couldn't ever do it. I was in awe of her.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#23 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Well I always wanted five. We had three in five years and then dh got a vasectomy and we were done. I was not happy but I went along with it. Then about 3 years ago I finally convinced dh that our family still needed growing. He agreed to a reversal and we had one more baby in Sept. 05 and will have our fifth (our last)in May! Now I feel like our family is complete and I am finished having babies....but maybe I could be convinced to have one more!

Pam
#24 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM

I want 2 and my husband is stuck on having 1 (he's an only, I'm from a big family...) I am willing to postpone the argument until after we see how #1 goes. It could make all the difference in either direction!

He's mostly concerned about educational expenses and having 2 little ones with my working situation. I'm 30 and he's 35, so he is also not really open to having one much later.
#25 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM

I wanted to add. I am one of four (all girls) and growing up thought I would have a big family too. Get married right out of college and start popping 'em out, hopefully have 4 or 6 by the time I was 30. A population class in college had a big effect on me, and pretty much made me decide 2 biological children was the right thing for me to do. So I changed my mind to having two kids. I did end up getting married right out of college, but we surprised ourselves when we ended up waiting FOUR years before wanting to start family. Looks like I'm still going to get "done" by 30, but only with the two. My husband is an only child - he knew he didn't want an only child, in fact he is why we got pregnant when we did, he didn't want them to be any farther apart. With the realities of everything - money, housing, etc, I'm really happy with the decision of having two kids. We have two dogs and three cats, which almost equals the comforting level of chaos I grew up with. If I need any more chaos, I'll get some goats or something!
#26 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM

DH won't let me get a goat, I've asked. (we have a Bouvier, I wanted about 6 goats for him to herd.... )

But I hear you on the population thing. That is/was somewhat of a consideration, but since DH's ex can't procreate with her new partner, then us having two more still leaves things in balance. So, while DH has four kids in total, they are "spread out" over 4 adults.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#27 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 PM

I want a goat! I don't think it would do well in my apartment, though!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#28 of 43 Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 PM

While growing up I wanted 6 kids, then we had our 1st! I sd "OK 3 would be good". But then it took us 6 yrs and 7 m/c's to have our 2nd DD. DH was done after the hard pg but I knew I wanted one more, just felt it in my heart that I needed another child. Then last yr after recovering from stage 1 cervical cancer DH sd that we could try for 6 mths to "see what happened". He thought since it took us so long for # 2 he'd be ok ! Low and behold here we are and are very happy. I KNOW that I am done now. Being pg is soooooo very hard on me, my m/s has gotten worse with each baby (1st dd lost 17lbs, 2nd dd lost 18lbs this time 35lbs : from being so sick). I'm happy that our family is complete or will be when this princess gets here. DH will go and get snipped after she is born, he says I've been through enough and its the least he could do.

I come from a family of 2 kids, I just have one younger brother. DH comes from a big family of 5 kids.
#29 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM

Well, when we were first married I wanted 4. DH maybe wanted 2, maybe. He knew I would never want an only, though, so we were pleased when we got pg with #2. Then we were surprised and pleased when we got pg with #3 and he was *really* done. Then we were surprised and shocked when we got pg with #4 and now he says that maybe God knows more than we do about how big our family is supposed to be. So, now, I think we'll just see where God leads us!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#30 of 43 Old 02-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Before we had DD I figured we'd have 2, but after she was born I was thinking one would be enough for about 3 years! So now I think it's safe to say we'll have 2, this being our last. Dh and I are on the same page (he always wanted a second).

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page