When do you start worrying about breech babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick question...on this other board I frequent, the mothers (at the same stage as I am--I'm 28 weeks now) are all starting to worry and freak about the baby's position and talking c-sections. Me, I'm not too worried about that, I say it's waaaaay too early to think about that....when is it time to start thinking the baby is breech/in the right position?? Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 03:24 AM

They had this question over in the April group a few weeks ago... the general consensus was that we still have a few weeks to go before we have to worry. I know I can feel my babe to flip flops in there still, though s/he is mostly head down these days. There is still lots of room to move in there though.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#3 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 04:46 AM

I'm not worried yet. I always start to do my "posterior head-down" exercises around 32 weeks or so and fortunately haven't had to worry about a breech baby. She's still doing full-on flips, so I'm not worried that she's running out of room either.

BTW, i was just looking at everyone's sig lines and it completely stuck me how close we all are!! : Where has the time gone?!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#4 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't worry perse until 34 weeks, but if my baby was still breech (I have no clue what position its in right now) at say 32 weeks I would check out www.spinningbabies.com and spend some time doing those exercises.

For me personally I wouldn't have a c section JUST for breech, but I have birthed 4 kids vaginally and its not even a tight fit (lol they shoot out)
I had to consider it, because when my water broke with my last baby she flipped breech for a while, and the midwife wanted me to get an ultrasound to confirm breech position which I declined because there weren't any obs willing to catch a breech baby. I figured I'd be better off with just me, but anyway the baby turned back around so it wasn't an issue after all

jmo
#5 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 PM

A girlfriend just had her baby last Saturday, her baby was breech and the midwife did some procedure that turned the baby just a week before the birth.

She said it was uncomfortable, but it's apparently some sort of massage technique.
(I can't say for sure...but it worked)

EDIT: BTW, this was her first baby.
#6 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 PM

dd1 was breech, so at my last OB appt I asked when I should start worrying about this baby. He said it was way too early. I asked for the same reason as you, I keep seeing people worrying about position when these babies are still small enough to keep flipping around. Just because a baby is head down today, doesn't mean that won't change tomorrow
#7 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 PM

We wont do anything to turn the baby until 32 weeks. And this is pretty much depending on the situation. If it's a first time mama, then yes 32 weeks. However, if this is the 7th baby...chances are it will flip eventually.
It's just different for first timers(with any malposition) because the baby is more likely to engage sooner and stay there.
#8 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM

I don't worry.

My babies seem to love to be breech for mw appointments but turn after we leave the mw

My babies turn at will right up to birth. Considering that I go late and have babies from 7.5 to a bit over 8lbs there must be plenty of room in there.

Having a mw who doesnt care if baby is breech or vertex is also a great comfort
#9 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 PM

The vast majority of babes are breech at this point (or moving around and breech at points) and somehting like 95% of them turn on their own - no need to worry! I would worry about about 38-39 weeks and work on turning the babe.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#10 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Just visited my Chiro today and she said that if I keep my sacrum and spine alligned, then there will be no reason to worry about the fetal positioning- the babe will find it's own optimal position if I am optimally alligned... this feels right to me.

Grace Comes.

#11 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Just wanted to vote for the spinning babies website! I find that when I do what is suggested that baby turns to LOA and stays there for a while. I figure the more time s/he spends like that the more comfortable they will become being in the right spot. Mainly I try to sleep as suggested (with the current time being the exception because of these darn numb arms!) and otherwise don't worry about it. Anything helps but I'm not willing to stress over it!

Yesterday babe was head down but had thier back lined up right across my belly button..... and then PUSHED while (it felt like) bracing head, hands and feet!! Ack! I don't stretch that easily! Sorry if you're squished!

#12 of 19 Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM

I was reading somewhere (actually I think on the spinning babies site, but I'm not sure) that most babies have "picked" their position by early in the third trimester, so I was starting to fret over mine being traverse breech (on the ultrasound he looked like he was kicked back in a hammock ) ... but, my mother swears that when she was studying anatomy and physiology they were taught that babies typically turn in the last month. Granted, not everyone out there might trust my mother's word of advice , but for me her education overrides something-I-read-somewhere-on-the-web any day.
#13 of 19 Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't think this bub flips at all! He's breech and has been so for well over a month, so a part of me is a bit worried ... although I know everything says I shouldn't be.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#14 of 19 Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Just wanted to vote for the spinning babies website! I find that when I do what is suggested that baby turns to LOA and stays there for a while. I figure the more time s/he spends like that the more comfortable they will become being in the right spot. Mainly I try to sleep as suggested (with the current time being the exception because of these darn numb arms!) and otherwise don't worry about it. Anything helps but I'm not willing to stress over it!

Yesterday babe was head down but had thier back lined up right across my belly button..... and then PUSHED while (it felt like) bracing head, hands and feet!! Ack! I don't stretch that easily! Sorry if you're squished!
What's the sleep position? I've checked the site, but it's difficult to navigate. At least I thought so.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#15 of 19 Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
What's the sleep position? I've checked the site, but it's difficult to navigate. At least I thought so.
On your left side leaning a little forward and/or on your right side leaning way forward--like almost on your belly.

If you ever forget just remember that your belly is the hammock for the baby. For an LOA position the hammock should be a little to the left. Keeping this in mind you can kinda picture why those positions work for encouraging LOA.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#16 of 19 Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 AM

I've been freaking out a bit lately. No real freakouts or anything, but just a mild concern hanging out in the back of my head. With Seamus he was vertex all the time (except for a brief stint of breech at 28 weeks) and I could always easily palpate his position. This one is sooooooo different. I can't usually palpate his position and when I sorta can he's very often transverse or breech.
Now, I know my uterus is more "globular" and that's probably all that's giving him more flip-flop room, but it honestly does freak me out a little. I have to keep reminding myself that his position doesn't matter right now.
I wish I could palpate him more easily too. My inability to is also bugging the crap out of me.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#17 of 19 Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 AM

I dont worry until 36 weeks or so.
#18 of 19 Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
On your left side leaning a little forward and/or on your right side leaning way forward--like almost on your belly.

This is exactly how I sleep and I was worried about being on my stomach too much. I do wake up several times on my back though.
#19 of 19 Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Dutchgal, I can't remember if you are with a midwife or not... I was just reading through my "handbook" that the midwife gave me and the midwives are required to "discuss" (i.e. contact and advise, but not necessarily DO anything about it) a non-cephalic presentation after 36 weeks and are then required to consult (i.e. send you to see) a physician after 37 weeks. Before that, they MAY discuss it with you, but no one should be all up-in-arms about it even if you are with an OB or MD.

So far my babe is still all over the place, but TENDS to be head-down. I'm sure the closer we get the more head-down s/he will tend to be, until it gets to squashed in there for them to flip over any more.

Oh, and my midwife can deliver breech vaginally, but not at home. I'll have to ask if she WILL deliver a breech though, even though I hope and am fairly certain that it will not be an issue. (And as a side note, my mother said that I wouldn't engage (even though I was head-down) until she had been in labour for about 32 hrs.... stubborn little baby! But after that I slid right out! )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page