Nothing agaisnt formula feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but I just saw a list for what baby needs and they made the BFing list long and just one item for FF.
The things added to the BF was all bottle perphinella that they didn't add to the FF. And it included burp rags which they didn't add to FF. I have been around both and both FF and BF both burp and spit up so how come they didn't add that to FF?
Here is the list. I don't have most of the things on the list.
Tooling around
_____Car seat.
_____Stroller.

Beds and linens
_____Crib.
_____Crib mattress.
_____Bassinet/cradle (if you don't want to put your baby in a crib right away).
_____Two to three fitted crib sheets.
_____Four or more waffle-weave cotton receiving blankets for swaddling baby
_____Two mattress pads.
_____One to two waterproof liners (for crib or bassinet).

Diaper duty
_____Diapers. Disposable or cloth.
_____Diaper pail. (Optional with disposables.)
_____Diaper bag.

Dressing baby
_____Four sleeping outfits or onesies (one-piece sleepers), preferably with attached feet
_____Six side-snap T-shirts.
_____Four to six one-piece undershirts that snap around the crotch.
_____A small baby cap (although the hospital will probably give you one).
_____Six pairs socks/booties.
_____Two to three soft, comfortable daytime outfits. Get only a few items in newborn size. Then, go for clothing in the 6-month size--your baby will grow into it quickly. But don't buy baby sleepwear that's too big; it's a fire hazard
_____Cotton sweater or light jacket.

Summer babies
_____Brimmed hat.

Winter babies
_____Snowsuit or heavy bunting.
_____Heavy stroller blanket.
_____Warm knit hat.

Feeding time
If you're planning to breast-feed:
_____Two or three nursing bras.
_____A box of washable or disposable breast pads.
_____Breast pump if you expect to use one.
_____Four small baby bottles with newborn nipples for expressed breast milk
_____Bottle drying tree.
_____Bottle brush.
_____Insulated bottle holder for diaper bag (the hospital may give you one).
_____Three packs of cloth diapers or burp cloths.

If you're planning to bottle-feed
_____Six 4- to 5-ounce bottles, plus nipples, rings, and a dishwasher basket if you use a dishwasher.

Bathing/grooming
_____Three soft hooded towels.
_____Two packs of baby washcloths.
_____ Baby body wash that doubles as shampoo.
_____Pair of blunt-tip scissors or baby-sized nail clippers.
_____Zinc-oxide-based diaper rash ointment.
_____Infant bathtub.
_____Soft brush and comb.
_____Mild laundry detergent.

Medicine chest essentials
_____A pain-and-fever reducer recommended by your baby's doctor, such as Infant's Tylenol.
_____Cotton pads/swabs.
_____Nasal aspirator.
_____Digital thermometer.
_____Rubbing alcohol.
_____Petroleum jelly.

Keeping baby happy
_____Pacifiers.

Extras: Nice but optional
_____Monitor.
_____Changing table.
_____A rocker or glider.
_____Soft carrier.
_____Swing.
#2 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes breast fed babies spit up. I never had "burb" rags we just used cloth diapers.

Its funny how things they say are a must are not a must on my list. Like a crib or a stroller. I prefer a sling and a backpack when they are older. All 4 of my kids lived in their swing. I always had a changing table (first time we improvised and then someone got us one for 2-4) and we always used our changing table.

I do not think there is enough sleeping outfits especially if you do not have a washer and dryer. Shoot my kids easily would go through 3-4 a night.

Heidi
#3 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Yes breast fed babies spit up. I never had "burb" rags we just used cloth diapers.

Its funny how things they say are a must are not a must on my list. Like a crib or a stroller. I prefer a sling and a backpack when they are older. All 4 of my kids lived in their swing. I always had a changing table (first time we improvised and then someone got us one for 2-4) and we always used our changing table.

I do not think there is enough sleeping outfits especially if you do not have a washer and dryer. Shoot my kids easily would go through 3-4 a night.
Oh i wasn't implying that BF baby's don't spit up. I was saying that they both do so it should be on both lists.
#4 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Yes I was agreeing with you it should be on both list.

Heidi
#5 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I just didn't want to come across as a formula hater. LOL.
#6 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 PM

That's a bit silly. It looks like someone needed to proofread that list a little more carefully. And petroleum jelly? What in the world is that for? I've raised two infants into toddlerhood and beyond now, and have never once needed to use petroleum jelly! And WHY would a newborn infant need a snowsuit?! It's not like you're going to take them out sledding.

I don't know, sometimes these lists just crack me up.
#7 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbaby View Post
_____Two to three soft, comfortable daytime outfits. Get only a few items in newborn size. Then, go for clothing in the 6-month size--your baby will grow into it quickly. But don't buy baby sleepwear that's too big; it's a fire hazard
I'm sorry, but sleepwear that is too big is a FIRE hazard?? Someone please explain!? I would think it would be a choking or suffocation hazard, but how the heck is it a FIRE hazard? :

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#8 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM

looks like they got the lists confused.

I never did pump but my list for breastfeeding would be

#1 boobs
#2 boppy or pillow for the first few months
#3 Sling
#4 Nursing pads
#5 Comfy bra!!! (3)
#6 Lots of t-shirts
#9 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
That's a bit silly. It looks like someone needed to proofread that list a little more carefully. And petroleum jelly? What in the world is that for?
Circumcision care.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#10 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM

Ugh, that never even occurred to me. It actually turned my stomach a little bit.
#11 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but sleepwear that is too big is a FIRE hazard?? Someone please explain!? I would think it would be a choking or suffocation hazard, but how the heck is it a FIRE hazard?
sleepwear either has to be treated with a flame retardant or labeled that it has to be snug fitting, loose fitting clothing is more likely to catch fire.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#12 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
That's a bit silly. It looks like someone needed to proofread that list a little more carefully. And petroleum jelly? What in the world is that for? I've raised two infants into toddlerhood and beyond now, and have never once needed to use petroleum jelly! And WHY would a newborn infant need a snowsuit?! It's not like you're going to take them out sledding.

Its for taking a rectal temp Actually works nice for that lol, and not that i like to put anything on my newborn but i found recently that it is THE ONLY thing that would clear up my 6 year olds eczema

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#13 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 PM

oh my :
ok that is SO not my necessities list!!
Thats weird about the BF and FF lists, they shouldn't be that different!

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#14 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 PM

It seems to me like alot of sources out there try to make bfing sound like the more complicated, expensive, and difficult route. I have some pregnancy calendar deal, through ivillage, that said,
Quote:
Are you going to try breastfeeding? Start shopping for a breast pump now. Ask other moms for recommendations.
I am probably being oversensitive, but I can see them suggesting that you might consider it. If I were a Mom on the fence and started pricing breast pumps that I was lead to believe were a necessity, I might think it would be cheaper to just ff. :
#15 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM

I used that list to decide what to get for baby, but just omitted the stuff I obviously did not need/plan to get because it seemed unnecessary, i.e. crib (et al.), stroller, diaper pail, diaper bag, bassinet, pump, bottles, etc.) ...OK so I basically just followed it for the Clothes, "Bathing/Grooming" and "Medicine Chest" sections, but still. That stuff all seemed pretty essential, though I was kind of wondering what the petroleum jelly was for..?
#16 of 31 Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

I saw the list too and was kinda : grr about it because the BF had sooo many things versus the FF list.My frineds who FF always lugged around a whole lot more stuff than I ever did. Bottles always end up being given to me with each baby even though they end up as toys.I do have a manual pump and I recently broke down and bought an electric one but it wasn't a need to have.I'm a SAHM.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#17 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
sleepwear either has to be treated with a flame retardant or labeled that it has to be snug fitting, loose fitting clothing is more likely to catch fire.
I know they say this, but it totally puzzles me... I mean,, how is it going to catch fire? How is an infant's loose clothing going to catch on fire? What would be the source? Why are my baggy flannel sleeping pants not a fire hazard? Maybe because we co-sleep, the risks are different??? What am I missing???

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#18 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Ugh. Marketing for formula companies I assume?
Advertising can be sneaky.
Ugh.
Emile
#19 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I know they say this, but it totally puzzles me... I mean,, how is it going to catch fire? How is an infant's loose clothing going to catch on fire? What would be the source? Why are my baggy flannel sleeping pants not a fire hazard? Maybe because we co-sleep, the risks are different??? What am I missing???
American Apparel's baby gowns say Not Intended For Sleepwear and I thought.. what's the point, then?! But then I realized that was probably there because they aren't treated with flame retardant or "close fitting" so they legally have to put that.

So I asked my mom what she thought, and she said that in the 70s and 80s when they started making clothes and pyjamas out of certain fabrics that were not only highly flammable, but the burnt fabric stuck to a child's skin causing even more severe damage if the kid got too close to the stove or something in the night, they passed laws saying that children's and baby's pyjamas had to be treated with flame retardant. It's kind of ridiculous, IMO because first of all--stop making pyjamas out of the problem material, and secondly, if your kid is getting up in the night and playing with the stove--or any sort of fire--you've got bigger problems than what PJs you put on them before they went to bed.
#20 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would recommend a pump, even if you don't expect to use it, sometimes it is invaluable eg if you get engorged it can take off some of the pressure and make it easier for a new baby to nurse. But if you don't expect to use it a lot (as in, going to a 9-5 in 3 mos), a good manual is just fine. We got the Avent that came with most of the accessories on that list for about $30. Barely used the bottles, dd never took one (or a pacifier) at all! She only wants the real thing. Fortunately the Avent bottles have attachments available that allow you to use them as food storage containers or sippy cups, so we have gotten some use out of them.

One thing about lists -- I don't think it is practical to spend much money on much of anything (maybe the car seat, but some less expensive ones are just as good imo), because you just can't predict what will work for you/your baby. Stuff that was essential for one family is totally useless for some others, and vice versa.
#21 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM

We have always been given a hand pump at the hospital that works in conjunction with the professional model. It pops into the base. I am assuming you know what I am talking about.
I found out in September my insurance company covered the cost of professional grade pump if I planned on breast feeding. So I got a $400.00 pump for free (I was double insured at the time). I have no opened it at all because at the time I was planning on going back to work but now it looks like I will work from home and so the only pumping I will do will be minimal so the hand pump will work.

Heidi
#22 of 31 Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
It's kind of ridiculous, IMO because first of all--stop making pyjamas out of the problem material, and secondly, if your kid is getting up in the night and playing with the stove--or any sort of fire--you've got bigger problems than what PJs you put on them before they went to bed.
ITA!!

Sorry to go off on a tangent, OP, but...
I also wonder why they need flame retardants at night and not during the day? Are babies more likely to catch a spark at night in PJs than any other time? Why all the extra fuss just for PJs? Because of this rule, I HATE all the PJs selection for DS1.... he can't get comfortable in tight fitting clothes, so the plain cotton ones are out. I dislike the ones with flame retardant or made out of synthetic materials.

#23 of 31 Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The reason is because you are sleeping in another wing of the house so you don't have to listen to your babe cio. Then when the fire hits you sleep through it all, unlike in the day when you are parenting/paying attention to your child.
#24 of 31 Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
The reason is because you are sleeping in another wing of the house so you don't have to listen to your babe cio. Then when the fire hits you sleep through it all, unlike in the day when you are parenting/paying attention to your child.
#25 of 31 Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Sadly, I think that might be close to the truth.

#26 of 31 Old 03-03-2007, 05:24 PM

I always hate tight fitting clothes too so I buy the pjs in a bigger size.Its actually kinda hard to find all cotton PJs too without the flame retardant.My older two sons have eczema and I think the cotton is better for them.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#27 of 31 Old 03-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
And petroleum jelly? What in the world is that for? I've raised two infants into toddlerhood and beyond now, and have never once needed to use petroleum jelly! .
LOL - I have two things of it left over from #1 as well as a big thing of baby oil. All I remember using petroleum jelly for was the umbilical cord stump and the circumcision wound for the first few days, so they wouldn't stick to the dipe. But that leaves you with quite a bit of petroleum jelly...
#28 of 31 Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM

I actually found that when I was BFing my son, when he was finished my entire breast would be soaking. I always tried to have a rag or cloth diaper nearby to dry myself off with before I fastened my bra back up. Maybe he was just messy or something.

Being both a BFing and FFing mom, I thought both had their own different set of things needed. Bfing - nursing bras, breast pads, rag to dry up with, lanolin to begin with, etc. Ffing - clean bottles and nipples, formula, maybe a rag to clean up the chin afterwards but he wasn't too messy with the bottles. He was quite a bit older though.

And to play devil's advocate some more, I had him in October and we had a full body zip up suit that was a little like a snow suit, though I suppose not entirely waterproof, more water resistant, that we would put him in on walks and stuff so he'd stay warm and dry. Unfortunately no matter how small of a size you buy that stuff in it always doubles the size of your child, making it a tight fit to put them in a baby carrier (we had a snuggli to start with - a sling would be no problem I guess).

Eh, each parent is different.
#29 of 31 Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the FF list is odd because it fails to mention that you need to buy the FORMULA? I mean, what is going in those bottles?

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#30 of 31 Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM

These in bf:
_____Bottle drying tree.
_____Bottle brush.
_____Three packs of cloth diapers or burp cloths.

Are not necessary for bf, but are more "needed" for bottlefeeding, even though it is omitted there.

And this in bottle feeding:
_____Six 4- to 5-ounce bottles, plus nipples, rings, and a dishwasher basket if you use a dishwasher.

is really four separate things all glommed together making the list seem really short. (Plus why are rings listed separately anyhow???? Can you buy bottles without rings?)

Plus, as MSAX notes... where's the formula?!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page