Dh said NO to a baby swing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want a baby swing. Last time we had one that was a hand me down and I remember using it. He doesn't remember it at all. When I showed him the one I want (fisher price rainforest swing) he said "100 bucks for that! No way!" then he asked what it was for. . .and he answered himself by saying "it's so you don't have to hold your baby!"

Erm. He's very right. I still want one though . Maybe I should get a much less expensive one though .

I gotta say I love his attitude: and I hate it at the same time.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM

I know it isn't a popular opinion here on MDC but I think a few "baby holders" are ok when used in moderation. I used the bouncy seat every day while in the shower or while cooking dinner and sometimes dd, who is an in arms napper to this day, even spent a nap in the swing. I think it's easy to get hooked on baby holders especially if there is an older sibling in the picture but i don't think they are evil.

Also FWIW we had the Fischer price aquarium swing which looks pretty similar to the rainforest swing the ocean wonders is $20 less though on all the baby sites and has basically the same features.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#3 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM

I am SO in favour of swings and will shell out for one this time. DD was SUPER colicky and for the first six months of her life could not be put down, and let's face, it there are times when for both of your sakes having somewhere safe and effective to put the baby down is the best thing for both of you. It was the only place she'd sleep not in arms being violently bounced. The one we had borrowed was a hand crank and it was SO irritating when it wound down and she'd wake up so this time I'm looking for a plug-in one.

I do everything else "right" but this is the one compromise I will make!

ILANA
#4 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

The rainforest one is a plug in kind. There's another plug in one I've found that's cheaper, but it doesn't do side to side
There's also one that is like $30 more that's plug in--papasan with starlight somthing.
I'm keeping my eye on ebay for a rainforest one used locally. . .:

~laura
#5 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 PM

I'll be honest, we got a baby swing for my DS because I just thought they looked fun. Who wouldn't love swinging back and forth like that for a while? We never used it as a babysitter or anything. I think that as with almost everything, the benefit or drawback in a swing is in how you use it.
#6 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM

I have had a swing with all my kids it was my "baby holder" my first son hated it. But for the last three I had the fisher price aquarium swing that swings side to side and it was wonderful. I sold it when we moved because I didn't think we would really have a fifth baby and I didn't want to move it again. Of course that leaves me now with no swing and not really any extra money to buy one

so instead of buying a cosleeper or stable non moving sleeping area for the baby I bought a hammock style bed on a spring and I"m hoping that will double as a swing type thing to soothe the baby if I"m busy with the other kids.

come to think of it, its the only place i have to safely put the baby down so he better like it

and as for the plug in, really the batteries last a looong time on the swing like you can use it for 2 hours a day for months before the batteries die, unless your kid is 20 lbs, then it has to work harder
#7 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 PM

I couldn't have survived without mine the first time around. DD would not sleep during the day at all unless she was rocking or swinging and when I was exhausted, I just could not be the one doing the rocking. I can remember having the swing beside the bed, her swinging side-to-side and I would put my hand on her lap, my own arm swinging while I laid on the bed to sleep.

We didn't have one with my second DD and never did need it.

I know how good it is to have all those things in place you think you might need, but maybe DH will be more open to it after baby arrives and you point out some times when it would be handy. But frankly, you will be the one that could use the extra hand so if you have the money for it, and you feel confident you will get worthwhile use out if it, make it happen...really, everyone benefits when a pg Lady's wishes our answered!!!
#8 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Dr. Harvy Carp (The Happiest Baby) Says that a swing is very helpful in the first three month of a baby's life. I really like his book/info so I am going to believe him.

I used a bouncy set for my little ones.
Quote:
I used the bouncy seat every day while in the shower or while cooking dinner and sometimes dd, who is an in arms napper to this day, even spent a nap in the swing. I think it's easy to get hooked on baby holders especially if there is an older sibling in the picture but i don't think they are evil.
#9 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Hmm, considering most people posted back that they loved their swings... I went and googled that.. There's no way I would get any agreement on buying one of those either. It's too bright and colourful, and if he saw the thing about it playing music that would definitely be the end of the discussion, lol.
#10 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM

We needed a swing for our first. Second and and third didnt need one and we never used it. Gave it away when we moved about 5 months ago.

IMO its one of those things you never know if youll need.
#11 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 PM

ds loved his swing. he used to nap in it very well everyday - it was his preferred napping spot. i guess we'll just have to see whether new baby likes to swing or no...
#12 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysmomofthree View Post

IMO its one of those things you never know if youll need.
I'm kinda wondering if I should wait until the baby is born and see how he naps not in a swing. . .but then I might end up buying one new if I do need it and can't find one used quicky. . .hmmm decisions decisions.

~laura
#13 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 02:29 PM

OMG, the swing totally saved my life with dd. She would not stay asleep for me if I laid her down anywhere else. After about 4-5 months though, she lost interest, so it definitely was a short-term solution.

The swing and the yoga ball were so helpful when dd was new.
#14 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM

We had a swing with dd and I loved it. It was the only place she would sleep with out me holding her. I would put her in there if I just wanted to lay on the couch and read a book, or knit or do something where I wanted to have my own space. I sold mine when we moved back to CA from OR and now I'm looking to get another one. I had the FP aquarium swing. I keep checking craigslist in hopes that I'll find a good deal one of these days.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#15 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM

My baby looooved the swing. Sometimes that's the only thing that could comfort her during a crying spell. It also gave her a nice place to sit while we ate dinner when she was three to five months; we could pull it up to the table and she could see what was happening and hung out very happily while we ate and chatted with her, and I didn't drop fried rice in her hair.

We had the no-frills wind-up kind and it didn't cost anything close to $100. And you see them all the time at consignment stores, cheap.
#16 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM

LOL--IMO swings are a life-saver, sometimes they're the only place you can put a sleeping babe down and have them STAY sleeping!!

i think you can get a plain-jane one that's battery-operated for about 40 new. That's my only criteria for a swing--no winding!! I think my mom actually is gonna buy me one of those --she's eager to rush out and get one of the few mainstream items she knows I'll use!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#17 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM

i wanted the aquarium swing but i went to register this weekend and they didn't have it anymore. i thought the rainforest one looked good (especially love the plug-in aspect) but yeah...spendy. they're all pretty spendy. i think i should look for a used aquarium one. i ended up registering for a papasan swing. with ds1 the swing was a short-lived but very useful item. it was realllly great for a few months.

our bigger issue is a stroller. my dh and i are 'debating' about what double stroller to get (if we need one at all). he wants a giant jogging stroller and HE is not the one who is going to get it in and out of the car however many times a week. i'm not sure how much i will actually need a double stroller or not. but i definitely don't want some huge thing that doesn't collapse down very much. i registered for one that collapses down to the same size as my current single stroller.
#18 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 PM

If you're looking to buy it on your own (not expecting to get it as a gift) - try keeping an eye on craigslist - stuff like that shows up in the dallas area all of the time!
#19 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabrynn82 View Post
If you're looking to buy it on your own (not expecting to get it as a gift) - try keeping an eye on craigslist - stuff like that shows up in the dallas area all of the time!
I checked it (for the second time in my life, I think) and there's an aquarium swing right now for $40 or $50. I'm a little dubious about that one cause I read reviews and had a friend that said the batteries run out quickly, but thanks for the craigs list tips I'll keep my eye on it too.

~laura
#20 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM

I Love the swing for DD. We have the Fisher price one that plugs in but only swings front to back. There are nights when that was the only place she would sleep. When she got an ear infection, it was a lifesaver.
#21 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Honestly, I wish I had a swing to sleep in myself! I watch a lot of Bollywood movies, and frequently the films show these fancy-looking swings inside people's houses. I don't know if that's actually common in India or just a filmi thing, but I'm so envious.
#22 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 PM

$100 for a swing is insane if you ask me. We got a simple battery-operated swing used for $15. It didn't suck batteries too bad. We use rechargeable batteries for everything anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

I actually prefer the older swings you can buy used anyway. All it needs to do is rock the baby to soothe them a little. The lights and music seem like they would be over-stimulating. Whenever I put DS in the swing, it was because I wanted him to settle down and nap, not have him stimulated by flashing lights and annoying tinny electronic music.
#23 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 PM

I'm a baby wearer - even around the house - but I did occasionally use the swing. Not every day, but there were times it came in handy.

However, I only paid like $20 for it at once upon a child. And I'm glad I didn't spend more, because all my boys are over the 20 pound weight limit by about 3 months old. So I only got six months use out of it total so far, and not even every day use. I definitely wouldn't pay $100 for one in my circumstance.
#24 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 PM

i like having a place to put baby down for a few minutes, i had a swing ( same one with all 3 kids) and loved it, i gave it away and its long gone now plus it would be like 9 years old now anyway, so this time since i got rid of my bouncy seat to i decided i am going to get a travel swing its small like the bouncy seat but it swings too so i can use it in my bathroom or where ever in the house i need it. its only like 30 for a new one ( a friend is letting me have one of hers!) and it takes up less space, folds up when not in use and its less things to have.... IF baby hates it i might go get a regular bouncey seat and try that

btw i LOVE that new rain forest line they have!! and i saw the bouncey seat in the rain forest line at walmart the other day!! sooo tempting!! lol

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#25 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
The rainforest one is a plug in kind. There's another plug in one I've found that's cheaper, but it doesn't do side to side
There's also one that is like $30 more that's plug in--papasan with starlight somthing.
I'm keeping my eye on ebay for a rainforest one used locally. . .:

I want the rain forest one.
#26 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Popping in from Nov.

For the first 4 months of James life the only place he would sleep was his swing, I tried walking him, apparently I didn't do it 'right' I'd nurse him, put him in the swing and he'd be out like a light within 2 minutes and stay that way for 2-3 hours. It was heaven. We still have that swing for baby #2 and you can bet we'll be using it...although a plug in would be lovely. I don't think I could get DH to go for it because his great-grandma bought the one we have so it's 'special'

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#27 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 PM

DD didn't like the swing or bouncer. My pug loved the bouncer though.
#28 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM

My son loved his swing. He took many naps in it. He was also held A LOT. I used the swing when I cleaned the house, took a shower, cooked meals, did laundry....it was very useful for me. I will be using a swing with the next baby too. Personally, I can't handle slinging a baby for too long, it's too strenuous on my bag and shoulder. I also don't think I should have to hold my baby 24/7 to be a good AP mommy. Moderation is the key!
#29 of 67 Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbaby View Post
My pug loved the bouncer though.
that's funny.

I used a swing but I would not buy a swing like that one. Too much stimulation. My swing is very basic. In fact it's a wind up swing...no batteries or plug. Love it. Amanda quickly got rid of her aquarium swing and used mine instead. A swing, yes. An electric swing with music, lights, and bells and whistles, no.
#30 of 67 Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

I get the consensus on the lights totally, but what's wrong with the music? Seamus would fall asleep within minutes of me putting on music or singing. Our "bouncy" chair (bouncy is in quotes because it's one of those non-bouncy kinds--I don't recomend) had nice music and if he started to wake I could turn it on and he would stay asleep longer.

~laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page