Mothering Forum banner

Help me decide, mamas....

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Shelsi 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order the baby her bed soon but I can *not* decide which to get!

I'm buying a hanging hammock for this new babe. I've wanted one forever and this time I'm getting it! LOL

http://www.happyhangup.com/
http://ww.ambybaby.com/

However, I don't know which one to get! I love the look/beauty of the happy hangup, but am a little concerned it won't travel as easily as the Amby. I like the stand better on the Amby, but the Happy Hangup looks more comfortable. Or...do you think I could buy the hammock from Happy Hangup and the stand from Amby?! Would they work together?!

So, what do you all think? Has anyone seen one of these IRL that can give me advice!?

TIA!

#4 ·
I'm trying to decide on this, too, because right now I was thinking about not getting one at all and just co-sleeping--but I am worried that if I change my mind, or the baby doesn't like sleeping with us, or has reflux, or colic, and I decide I want a hammock but don't get it ASAP that will be a problem, because according to Amby's site they work best if you put baby in them from Day 1... Here's what I have surmised thus far:

Price: In Canadian dollars, the Happy Hangup with stand and pillow would be $441 with shipping, and the Amby would be $400. Thus, I would hardly consider this aspect a factor.

Age/Weight: The Amby says it is only good until 20 lbs. and under 12 months. The Happy Hangup claims to be able to hold about twice as much weight (20 kg, or 15 kg if using their stand), and even a 4 year old would fit in it. My question here would be, at what point is it still safe to be using it, anyhow? The website owner says that their 3.5 year old still sleeps in one..?

Structure/Stand: I agree with you about the Amby stand looking better. I also have my concerns with the "multiple piece" factor of the Happy Hangup (hammock, pillow--especially the pillow, sheet) whereas the Amby comes with co-ordinating pieces/sheets/etc. I recognize that you can just suspend the Happy Hangup from the ceiling but that would not be an option for me, personally, I don't know about you.

Convenience: The Amby looks easier/lighter to transport. But whether to use this as a decision-making factor when we wouldn't necessarily be transporting it that often.. I don't know.

I would also love to hear the opinions of others who have actually tried them, I know there was a thread about this a while ago and people were recommending the cheaper hammocks on eBay, too.

#5 ·
I bought this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=020

the seller doesn't have any listed right now but they put them up within a few days of the other ones ending

It doesn't come with a stand (although you could use an amby stand or the happy hangup stand)

it was cheap with shipping and customs fees it was 125canadian

I really like it because it has the spring for movement its made well shiped quickly and I really like the idea of it hanging from the ceiling with a hook because i'm going to put a few hooks up in key areas around the house so the baby can sleep close by

I considered the amby as well, but they are impossible to get up here, and I would have had to have it shipped adding to the cost and I just can't do 400+ dollars for a bed for the baby

I really looked at the happy hangup and considered buying that (from the happy hangup people on ebay do a search its substanstially cheaper) my husband was put off by the tyeing

I can't image anyone using these past 6-8 months? I mean babies are pulling up, rolling over, some are sitting, I think it would get dangerous even installing it low to the ground. My dd is 2 and she likes to lay in it, and I"m sure she would nap in it if I put her in already asleep, but she would be able to climb out and jump down, a baby under 1 would just fall no matter how low it is

#6 ·
I don't know, to tell the truth. While the Happy Hangup looks like it is more comfortable and has a greater weight range, I'm not all too comfortable with some of these designs. And I worry about safety since there doesn't seem to be any regulation. With Amby, at least there is a good resale market (which is important to me.)

Typically I will sleep in a recliner for a couple of months and hold, sleep, nurse. I have a pretty neat sidecar setup bookmarked and I think that I am going to go ahead to do that.

#8 ·
tHANKS, mamas! It so hard to decide. Generally we co-sleep, however w/ our last baby it turned out to be very frustrating for me after awhile. I was getting *no* sleep and still had to get up in the a.m. and function for my kids. I was not happy, the kids weren't happy and DH wasn't happy. I'm really hoping that getting one of these for naps and some of the night will help with that aspect. I also babywear, but sometimes that's just not feasible either, KWIM?

At any rate, I think I'm going to go with the Happy Hangup and hang hooks in our room and the living room. Hopefully MIL won't have a problem. I think I'm going to wait on that stand and get something like this instead. Or, skip the stand alltogether and use our pack 'n play when we travel for naps.

As for when she gets older, I'm going to have DH hand it really close to the floor so if she would wiggle etc. and I'm not right there she won't really fall-out. Not that I can imagine w/ my older DD there *ever* being a time when one or the other of us won't be right there...LOL!

#11 ·
gah, why'd you have to post this??? LOL just kidding!

But no seriously, now I want one, and I soooooo don't have money like that
On the other hand, I did mention these to my mom (being someone who is not that keen on co-sleeping but also not a keep-baby-in-her-own-room type), and she asked me when I was coming to visit so I could show her the weblink
Sigh...babyshopping is so addictive!~
:

#12 ·
I have been told by a few people that their other kids were easily able to tip the amby stand, so something to keep in mind.

We bought a hanging cradle and put in next to the bed - it is good up to 100 pounds and can be hung anywhere with hooks. It comes in a fabric carrying case and folds up super small and was only $100 hand made and shipped to me! I am very excited about it. We got a sheepskin for inside of it, to line the bottom.

#13 ·
OOooh, isn't the happy hangup wonderful looking?? I've been excited to order one, too! I read about someone who hung it over their bed (i'm thinking centered, maybe down by your legs??), so that it felt safer to them and the baby was really accessible in the night...something to consider.

Remember that the price quoted on their website is in Australian dollars!!

#15 ·
I've all but talked dh into one. I am thinking that I will go for the Amby bed, a new one. I figure that a new one including shipping will cost around $215. The used ones on eBay aren't going for a whole lot less. So with the issues that they had to fix, it isn' that much more for peace of mind that I have the safest model.

I've looked at the other models and want the mesh sides for better ventilation and a frame so dh won't have a cow with hooks in the ceilings.

#18 ·
I tried to do a search for it but cant seem to find it...there is a mama here who sewed up her own hammock. Her hubby made a couple support poles that the hammock was attached to. Super simple and really nice looking. If anyone knows who it was I'd love to know! She had a tutorial for how she dd so if neither the Amby or Happy Hangup were feasible for you you could easilly make one up.

#19 ·
GAAAH, I convinced my mom that a happy hangup is the one perfect baby item she can buy me that will really help
: and then I linked it to DP and he goes "that's WEIRD, why do we want our baby hanging from the ceiling???"

so now i dunno
:

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
GAAAH, I convinced my mom that a happy hangup is the one perfect baby item she can buy me that will really help
: and then I linked it to DP and he goes "that's WEIRD, why do we want our baby hanging from the ceiling???"

so now i dunno
:

Too funny...those boys are sometimes notorious for making things difficult to decide, huh?! LOL

I'm still going back and forth. I just sold a *ton* of stuff on ebay so I have the funds w/out having to go through our regular budget, so that makes it easier for my husband to help me decide what to get w/out getting hungup on the cost factor. I'm really leaning towards the happy hangup.

Ustasmom...you'll have to give me a detailed report of the Amby when you get it, mama! I'm such a touch'n see kinda gal when it comes to buying things it's hard to vision what this will all look like!

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBaby View Post
Ustasmom...you'll have to give me a detailed report of the Amby when you get it, mama! I'm such a touch'n see kinda gal when it comes to buying things it's hard to vision what this will all look like!
I really like it. I bought it off eBay from someone who lived within an hour so that I could pick it up. Shipping is nuts on these things, but it is between 25-30 pounds, depending on what you get.

I set it up today. All the kids love it. They all think that it would be SO comfortable to sleep in a hammock. I'm really glad that we got a frame. It can go from living room to bedroom without a tremendous amount of effort. It compacts down pretty well for travel. We have to visit family in July so this will work out well. Plus, it can go outside with us for meals on the deck.

The foot panel zips and ties so it seems to be more safe. Dh did not like the design of the Happy Hangup because the foot area was so open. We also looked at a few other designs and he preferred this style best. He also wasn't big on putting hooks through the ceiling. And I like the mesh sides rather than all fabric because I do think that it will give more ventilation of CO2 better than cotton fabric.

It also came with the Jump-jump and the mosquito net. The extras are really pretty affordable. I will probably end up ordering the heavy duty spring for the Jump-jump and maybe a couple of extra sheets. I think that the snugglers would be good for newborn stage, but it isn't like I don't have a hundred things that would work just as well.

#22 ·
Hi I'm just bumping this up to see how many of you actually ended up buying any of these hammocks and how you liked them?

Dh and I are trying to find something compact to put in our room, or maybe in other rooms in the house as well, since we're not going to have an actual room for the baby but we're not comfortable with total co-sleeping.

How do you like them so far? What are the pros and cons?

My biggest concern is how well do you think they will work when the babies become mobile? Especially sitting and pulling up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.